Old 13-09-2011, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Shifted seasons

mogga wrote:
I just ate my first mincepie of Xmas 2011

I've seen the christmas gifts out in the shop but didn't think of
looking for mince pies... Guess who's off to the shops shortly!

I don't like shop-bought mince pies, I always find them too dry. Unless
they are fresh from the bakery and use puff pastry, but they don't tend to
do them very often.

I was playing with the idea of making mince pies using choux pastry this
year, like festive chocolate eclairs. Perhaps topping them with brandy
butter or some kind of spiced ... ooh, new idea!

Choux bun (mini eclair shape/size), split, dollop of mincemeat, topped with
confectioner's custard, sprinkled with spiced icing sugar!

Old 13-09-2011, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
We are using the thinnest duvet we could buy.

Our thinnest duvet involves sleeping under the cover with no duvet. ;-)

Our thinnest is without either :-)

I don't like sleeping without a cover at all, even if it's only down to a
sheet. Even in Italy in mid summer I still had a sheet. (Although that was
mostly to hide from the mosquitoes, which had decided to find me
particularly tasty)
Old 13-09-2011, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
Even in Italy in mid summer I still had a sheet. (Although that was
mostly to hide from the mosquitoes, which had decided to find me
particularly tasty)

When we had holidays on the Greek islands we used to take mosquito
netting and masking tape with us.

How did you make them lie still long enough to apply it?
Old 13-09-2011, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Writing this in what seems to be mid November here in South Wales.
Has anyone noticed that we have had a 2 month shift in our seasons,
the last couple of years
Summer was April/May/June, Autumn was July / August and now we seem
to be at the end of Autumn heading towards Winter.
This could account for us getting snow in November when it should be
in Jan.
David Hill

I don't know much about Photina, but mine has sprouted like mad recently.
Similarly my Sambucus
has also shot up considerably.

Is it time prune these now?

Bill

Old 13-09-2011, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet writes
I just ate my first mincepie of Xmas 2011

Janet

Oh dear that means Easter eggs in the shops by the weekend
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 13-09-2011, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
I've just found the last of our Xmas 2010 Christmas puddings, stashed in
the loft. It'll be fine :-)

I was very disappointed a few years ago when I went to eat a leftover
Christmas pudding in summer, and it had gone mouldy. :-(
Old 13-09-2011, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
I was very disappointed a few years ago when I went to eat a leftover
Christmas pudding in summer, and it had gone mouldy. :-(

Needs more alcohol :-)

Seriously, it didn't. It was almost at the point you could have served it
in a glass! I guess there was just something wrong with where they were
stored. Probably too warm, cos they were in the kitchen (wrapped in greased
paper, then a tea towel) at the back of a drawer, iirc.

Don't really have anywhere cool to store things, other than the summer
house, which is prone to mice and frost. I envy my nan her larder, but (to
join an old thread running here previously, my uncle is converting her
larder into a downstairs bathroom (so my grandad doesn't need to go upstairs
any more ... which sounds a great idea, but he'll be very disappointed in
future when he tries to spy on the neighbours)
Old 13-09-2011, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:11:00 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article ,
Janet writes
I just ate my first mincepie of Xmas 2011

Janet

Oh dear that means Easter eggs in the shops by the weekend

Local supermarket was selling Christmas selection boxes for kids a few
weeks ago. Use by date of 30 November.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Old 13-09-2011, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Tweedy wrote:
was playing with the idea of making mince pies using choux pastry this
year, like festive chocolate eclairs.

If you make them into triangles with filo pastry they are much less
calorific and they are wonderful to eat as well!

Who counts calories at CHristmas? :-P
I made filo baskets with crem patisserie and half a peach recently.
The boys asked if I'd make it again.

(by basket, 3 sheets ruffled up a bit at the edges!