Old 12-09-2011, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Shifted seasons

Writing this in what seems to be mid November here in South Wales.
Has anyone noticed that we have had a 2 month shift in our seasons,
the last couple of years
Summer was April/May/June, Autumn was July / August and now we seem
to be at the end of Autumn heading towards Winter.
This could account for us getting snow in November when it should be
in Jan.
David Hill
Old 12-09-2011, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 08:03:17 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

Writing this in what seems to be mid November here in South Wales.
Has anyone noticed that we have had a 2 month shift in our seasons,
the last couple of years
Summer was April/May/June, Autumn was July / August and now we seem
to be at the end of Autumn heading towards Winter.
This could account for us getting snow in November when it should be
in Jan.
David Hill

Driving around the lanes here in west Cornwall over the weekend, we
were a bit surprised to see holly trees absolutely laden with bunches
of brilliant red berries. Come Xmas, they'll all have been stripped by
the birds, of course.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

The Holly we have in our hedges in the garden have red berries on them

Merry Christmas

Mike

Old 12-09-2011, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote ...

Writing this in what seems to be mid November here in South Wales.
Has anyone noticed that we have had a 2 month shift in our seasons,
the last couple of years
Summer was April/May/June, Autumn was July / August and now we seem
to be at the end of Autumn heading towards Winter.
This could account for us getting snow in November when it should be
in Jan.

I mentioned just the same to my wife last week, we actually had two winters
in 2010 but nothing in 2011 when usually Jan and Feb are the two coldest
months.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Writing this in what seems to be mid November here in South Wales.
Has anyone noticed that we have had a 2 month shift in our seasons,
the last couple of years
Summer was April/May/June, Autumn was July / August and now we seem
to be at the end of Autumn heading towards Winter.
This could account for us getting snow in November when it should be
in Jan.
David Hill

That would explain why I was picking apples in July. OTOH, I'm still
picking Tulameen (summer) raspberries though Autumn Bliss gave up a
couple of weeks ago! Everything's gone haywire this year.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Old 12-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
Writing this in what seems to be mid November here in South Wales.
Has anyone noticed that we have had a 2 month shift in our seasons,
the last couple of years
Summer was April/May/June, Autumn was July / August and now we seem
to be at the end of Autumn heading towards Winter.
This could account for us getting snow in November when it should be
in Jan.
You are currently suffering from the phenomenon of the remarkably intact remains of an Atlantic hurricane blowing across onto our west coast. It happens once every few years. Soon be gone. It is having little obvious effect here in the SE, where the weather forecast for the next few days looks pleasant and typical for mid-Sept. Though the overnight temperature last night was actually weirdly warm for the time of year - it was 16C at 0630 this morning, a level rarely reached in August.

Spring was nice this year, and summer less nice. But if you actually look at the averages you will find that spring was a bit warmer than a normal spring, but a long way short of an average summer; and summer was a bit cooler than a normal summer, but a long way above an average autumn.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Although breezy, 22.5 C, blue sky and sunshine here.
SE London/Kent border
Pete C

Old 12-09-2011, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 12, 4:03*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
Writing this in what seems to be mid November here in South Wales.
Has anyone noticed that we have had a 2 month shift in our seasons,
the last couple of years
Summer was April/May/June, Autumn was July / August *and now *we seem
to be at the end of Autumn heading towards Winter.
This could account for us getting snow in November when it should be
in Jan.
David Hill

God hates Welshmen. Why else would he send them such 'orrible weather?
But be thankful you're not a muslim.. Allah sends earthquakes as well.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:30 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
Writing this in what seems to be mid November here in South Wales.
Has anyone noticed that we have had a 2 month shift in our seasons,
the last couple of years
Summer was April/May/June, Autumn was July / August and now we seem
to be at the end of Autumn heading towards Winter.
This could account for us getting snow in November when it should be
in Jan.
David Hill
It's very warm here tonight. About 8 o'clock I was standing in a 30mph wind in short sleeves and bare midriff fastening up a banner that was coming adrift, and not in the least bit cold. Seemed very warm for a windy September evening.

On the other hand I have abiding memories of standing in 8inch deep snow during a Remembrance Day parade back in the 60s.
__________________
Old 12-09-2011, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
That would explain why I was picking apples in July. OTOH, I'm still
picking Tulameen (summer) raspberries though Autumn Bliss gave up a
couple of weeks ago! Everything's gone haywire this year.

My yellow raspberries (and everyone else's on the allotment - probably the
same variety, cos I think someone cut their down and left them to anyone who
wanted them!) are just getting into full swing this weekend

Old 12-09-2011, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Sep 12, 6:29*pm, harry wrote:
On Sep 12, 4:03*pm, Dave Hill wrote:

Writing this in what seems to be mid November here in South Wales.
Has anyone noticed that we have had a 2 month shift in our seasons,
the last couple of years
Summer was April/May/June, Autumn was July / August *and now *we seem
to be at the end of Autumn heading towards Winter.
This could account for us getting snow in November when it should be
in Jan.
David Hill

God hates Welshmen. Why else would he send them such 'orrible weather?
But be thankful you're not a muslim.. Allah sends earthquakes as well.

Avd God shows his love of the English by sending them drought?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

echinosum wrote:
looks pleasant and typical for mid-Sept. Though the overnight
temperature last night was actually weirdly warm for the time of year -
it was 16C at 0630 this morning, a level rarely reached in August.

I have been noticing that overnight has been remarkably warm this month.
Particularly since returning from Lincoln! Lowest I've seen since start of
Sept is 16', and that was mid afternoon, it doesn't seem to have gone lower
overnight - I've been waking up hot even with the window open.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
I have been noticing that overnight has been remarkably warm this month.
Particularly since returning from Lincoln! Lowest I've seen since start of
Sept is 16', and that was mid afternoon, it doesn't seem to have gone lower
overnight - I've been waking up hot even with the window open.

We are using the thinnest duvet we could buy.

Our thinnest duvet involves sleeping under the cover with no duvet. ;-)
Although for some reason we've gone back to using the duvet. Instead of
fighting over who has the cover, now we fight over who doesn't.
Old 13-09-2011, 06:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/09/2011 16:03, Dave Hill wrote:
Writing this in what seems to be mid November here in South Wales.
Has anyone noticed that we have had a 2 month shift in our seasons,
the last couple of years
Summer was April/May/June, Autumn was July / August and now we seem
to be at the end of Autumn heading towards Winter.
This could account for us getting snow in November when it should be
in Jan.
David Hill

I am seeing something even stranger at the moment.

My holly has both red berries and a second flush of flowers on now and
the formerly indoor forced hyacinths put outside are in flower again
believing they have had a winter already!

Regards,
Martin Brown