Old 17-09-2011, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse help

We have just finished erecting a greenhouse and would like to know whether
to pave it or use the soil it is already on to grow tomatoes.
All 4 corners are concreted in so it won't blow away BTW.

Baz

Old 17-09-2011, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
We have just finished erecting a greenhouse and would like to know whether

Funny time of year!

to pave it or use the soil it is already on to grow tomatoes.

I would suggest concrete/pave, then use grow bags. Otherwise you will end
up with a build up of soil that isn't being rotated with other crops. (Our
grow bags then get thrown onto the garden beds)

But there are advantages to both, as with everything.
Old 17-09-2011, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 17, 4:05*pm, Baz wrote:
We have just finished erecting a greenhouse and would like to know whether
to pave it or use the soil it is already on to grow tomatoes.
All 4 corners are concreted in so it won't blow away BTW.

Baz

Do not use the soil. You ned a system whereby the soil is replaced
every year. Growbags, Buckets, Ring culture or whatever.

I use buckets with the bottoms cut out stood on gravel. I mix up my
own compost.
Old 17-09-2011, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
We have just finished erecting a greenhouse and would like to know
whether

Funny time of year!

Why? I can wait until high winds prevent me to make the task more
difficult, or do it now at my leisure when it is easy.

to pave it or use the soil it is already on to grow tomatoes.

I would suggest concrete/pave, then use grow bags. Otherwise you will
end up with a build up of soil that isn't being rotated with other
crops. (Our grow bags then get thrown onto the garden beds)

But there are advantages to both, as with everything.

Yes. If I use the soil year in year out it will carry on any infections.
Paving it is.

Thanks
Baz

Old 17-09-2011, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
We have just finished erecting a greenhouse and would like to know whether
to pave it or use the soil it is already on to grow tomatoes.
All 4 corners are concreted in so it won't blow away BTW.

Baz

Concrete/block/brick/gravel all over with a brick path down the middle.

OR ...... :-(((

Change the soil every year :-((

Mike

Old 17-09-2011, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 15:54:46 GMT, Baz wrote:

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
We have just finished erecting a greenhouse and would like to know
whether

Funny time of year!

Why? I can wait until high winds prevent me to make the task more
difficult, or do it now at my leisure when it is easy.

to pave it or use the soil it is already on to grow tomatoes.

I would suggest concrete/pave, then use grow bags. Otherwise you will
end up with a build up of soil that isn't being rotated with other
crops. (Our grow bags then get thrown onto the garden beds)

But there are advantages to both, as with everything.

Yes. If I use the soil year in year out it will carry on any infections.
Paving it is.

Thanks
Baz

If it isn't too late to do this, I've got paved bits to walk along but
the growing areas are membraned (that weed suppressing stuff) and then
graveled (using pea gravel - as it's "inside" the cats don't get to
it!). This allows whatever is on top (growing in large pots or grow
bags) a decent amount of drainage plus when I water the paved runs get
drained off quickly. Half-way house sort of thing between earth and
paving.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 17-09-2011, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in news:1gj977pdndmf507vaeu3lp15t5drbtmpmv@
4ax.com:

If it isn't too late to do this, I've got paved bits to walk along but
the growing areas are membraned (that weed suppressing stuff) and then
graveled (using pea gravel - as it's "inside" the cats don't get to
it!). This allows whatever is on top (growing in large pots or grow
bags) a decent amount of drainage plus when I water the paved runs get
drained off quickly. Half-way house sort of thing between earth and
paving.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Funny you mentioning that. A friend uses old carpet on both sides with as
you say a walkway between. We were just talking about it on the 'phone a
few mins ago.

Baz
Old 17-09-2011, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Sep 17, 6:10*pm, Baz wrote:
[...]

Baz- Hide quoted text -

I don't know what all the fuss is about, you can use the soil for a
year or two without having to change it, then you can decide about
paving .
Old 17-09-2011, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote
I don't know what all the fuss is about, you can use the soil for a
year or two without having to change it, then you can decide about
paving .

My thoughts too. It will take a few years for any nasty things to become
established in that soil and even then it could be replaced from elsewhere
in the garden or sterilised. A neighbour has been using the same soil for
years with no noticeable problems with his Toms, just adds compost yearly.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 17-09-2011, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
We have just finished erecting a greenhouse and would like to know
whether

Funny time of year!

Why? I can wait until high winds prevent me to make the task more
difficult, or do it now at my leisure when it is easy.

I think I was assuming everyone was already busy with more important things,
such as picking, cos I can't keep up right now. And then once it's built,
it's a long time till it gets to when you're likely to use it. Unless
you're planning on using it for overwintering, which I guess you may well
be. (I've had limited effects with overwintering fuschias, I've pretty much
given up now - if I want something to last over winter it comes into the
house!)

I would suggest concrete/pave, then use grow bags. Otherwise you will
end up with a build up of soil that isn't being rotated with other
crops. (Our grow bags then get thrown onto the garden beds)

But there are advantages to both, as with everything.

Yes. If I use the soil year in year out it will carry on any infections.
Paving it is.

I guess the advantage of soil is you're not locked into buying grow bags
each year, and you can get your roots down deeper, and if you are going on
holiday you may be able to get away with not having someone look after your
watering whilst you are away, cos your plants will be able to search for
their own water.

Old 18-09-2011, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote in
:

=======================

====================== Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Funny you mentioning that. A friend uses old carpet on both sides
with as you say a walkway between. We were just talking about it on
the 'phone a few mins ago.

Baz- Hide quoted text -

I don't know what all the fuss is about, you can use the soil for a
year or two without having to change it, then you can decide about
paving .

There is no fuss!

Baz