Old 29-09-2011, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default lawnmower troubles

Not sure if anyone has any suggestions to solve current plight with
lawnmower but I'd be glad of any ideas.

Have a nice Hayter 48 with rear roller etc., Trouble started last year
when for no reason the mower kept stopping after I'd done two lines up
and down lawn, about 100 foot each.
Took it to mower man, he diagnosed fuel blockage perhaps or new cap for
petrol. Got both just in case, came home and it went about a month then
spluttered to a halt after two stripes once more.
It starts again if i leave it for about 15 minutes but only ever does
the same amount before it sounds like it is running out of petrol.
The mower man bless him hasn't charged for subsequent trips to see him,
but it's now been there 5 times and been almost rebuilt!.
I make sure i don't strain it, it makes no difference if i try to cut a
little or a lot, it peters out after same time.
Petrol can replaced, fuel thing emptied and filled with clean petrol,
new cap with hole made bigger and so on.

Driving me up the wall as it means the grass takes about 2 days to cut
overall, so suggestions welcome.

Janet

Old 29-09-2011, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Not sure if anyone has any suggestions to solve current plight with
lawnmower but I'd be glad of any ideas.

Have a nice Hayter 48 with rear roller etc., Trouble started last year
when for no reason the mower kept stopping after I'd done two lines up and
down lawn, about 100 foot each.
Took it to mower man, he diagnosed fuel blockage perhaps or new cap for
petrol. Got both just in case, came home and it went about a month then
spluttered to a halt after two stripes once more.
It starts again if i leave it for about 15 minutes but only ever does the
same amount before it sounds like it is running out of petrol.
The mower man bless him hasn't charged for subsequent trips to see him,
but it's now been there 5 times and been almost rebuilt!.

Sounds like you need a new mower man!
I agree if it splutters a lot before dying that it is probably fuel related
but not necessarily starvation, but need to know a little more.

What make is the engine?
What is the fuel tank like? Is it rusty metal or a plastic one?
Does it have a pipe between the tank and carburettor or is the tank mounted
directly on top of the carburettor?
What about the cold starting provision, does it have a separately controlled
choke, choke combined with the throttle or no choke control at all?

Or does it die suddenly? if so it could be the electrical cut off at fault.

Mike

Old 29-09-2011, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
[...]

Has he cleaned the air filter?
Check state of spark plug when it stops.
It may be getting too little or too much petrol.

--
hugh
Old 29-09-2011, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 29, 11:51*am, Janet Tweedy wrote:
[...]

Hayters aren't bad mowers so it looks as if a new mower man is needed
as Mike as already suggested.

Rod
Old 29-09-2011, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote

[...]

Janet, is the choke stuck on or partly on? Does it need adjusting so the
cable is slack when in/off?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 29-09-2011, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Don't know the engine..............could be a sticking float??
Pete C

Old 29-09-2011, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete C
writes

[...]

Or punctured float.
--
hugh
Old 30-09-2011, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

[...]

A neon lamp and a glass spark plug could tell you a fair bit. The neon
goes in series with the HT lead, so you can see if the problems
electrical or fuel. The glass plug shows the flame colour as th engine
dies, so you can tell if its getting too rich, too lean, or just
cutting out completely in one cycle.

NT
Old 30-09-2011, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , MuddyMike
writes
Sounds like you need a new mower man!
I agree if it splutters a lot before dying that it is probably fuel related
but not necessarily starvation, but need to know a little more.

What make is the engine?
What is the fuel tank like? Is it rusty metal or a plastic one?
Does it have a pipe between the tank and carburettor or is the tank mounted
directly on top of the carburettor?
What about the cold starting provision, does it have a separately controlled
choke, choke combined with the throttle or no choke control at all?

Or does it die suddenly? if so it could be the electrical cut off at fault.

It's Hayter Harrier 48 about 10 years old but no idea of make of
engine Mike!
Tank is a metal one
er, think tank is mounted on top of carburettor
It has one control, all the way forward for choke starts then lever back
for speed of engine.

It doesn't die suddenly it sort of splutters to halt

Nearest one on web is
http://www.hayter.co.uk/products/hom...er/harrier-48-
autodrive-VS/
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 30-09-2011, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Ok, so almost certainly fuel problems but still not sure whether its
starvation or over fuelling.

You could try restarting immediately after it dies then remove the spark
plug . If its wet then it's certainly over fuelling which can be caused by
the choke staying on, or the air filter being blocked.

Air filter is easy, clean it out. Or test the machine by running it without
the filter element in place. Only try this in damp conditions when there is
little dust flying around.

Choke a little more difficult. Some have a choke that is applied manually by
pushing the throttle lever fully forward, others have one that is spring
loaded and comes off automatically when the engine reaches full speed.

When you check the air filter look down into the carburettor. Do you see a
plastic butterfly flap with a hole that the screw holding the filter on
passes through? If so does this plastic butterfly spring back to fully
closed when you move it with your finger? This is the choke device and it
works by blocking the airflow when starting so as to make the engine suck in
more fuel. Once running the suction of the engine holds it out of the way.
Check it moves easily and fully opens, it should spring back to fully closed
when you let go. If not its sticking and needs freeing up.

If its a manual choke activated by full throttle opening, it may be that the
cable is badly adjusted and activating the choke too soon/releasing it too
late. Try running the machine at half throttle if it keeps going then your
cable needs adjusting so that the choke is closed at full running speed.

If the plug is dry then it is likely to be fuel starvation. This could be
caused by blockage in the float valve, possibly by rust particles from
inside the tank. Or failure of the diaphragm inside the carburettor.

This is now somewhat more technical as it requires a stripdown of the
carburettor to check for dirt in the float valve and replacement of the
diaphragm. Which brings me back to my first observation, get a new mower man
if you are not confident of delving in there yourself..

I have a Hayter 56, the slightly bigger brother to yours and in the18 years
I have owned it, other than new blades, it has needed two replacement
diaphragms and one replacement drive belt. they are good machines but do
need basic servicing.

Mike

Old 30-09-2011, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Sounds very much like an electrical problem of some
kind..............as if the fuel supply is blocked, there is no chance
of restart after a short time, without having cleared the blockage
first. To find out for sure, as soon as mower stops remove the spark
plug, and check to see if there is a good spark when you turn the
engine over. If not there is your problem..............also it would
be good idea to find another repairer, as you one you have at the
moment doesnt seem to know what he is doing!
Old 30-09-2011, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bart" wrote in message
On Sep 29, 11:51 am, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Not sure if anyone has any suggestions to solve current plight with
lawnmower but I'd be glad of any ideas.

Sounds very much like an electrical problem of some
kind..............as if the fuel supply is blocked, there is no chance
of restart after a short time, without having cleared the blockage
first.

Not always. If the float valve is partially blocked it can allow a little
fuel to trickle through which in time will re fill the float chamber, but
not enough to run the engine, so when the bowl has emptied the engine
splutters and dies from fuel starvation.

Mike

Old 30-09-2011, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MuddyMike" wrote in message
om...

"Bart" wrote in message
On Sep 29, 11:51 am, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Not sure if anyone has any suggestions to solve current plight with
lawnmower but I'd be glad of any ideas.

Sounds very much like an electrical problem of some
kind..............as if the fuel supply is blocked, there is no chance
of restart after a short time, without having cleared the blockage
first.

Not always. If the float valve is partially blocked it can allow a little
fuel to trickle through which in time will re fill the float chamber, but
not enough to run the engine, so when the bowl has emptied the engine
splutters and dies from fuel starvation.

Mike

That is somewhat like the problem I had on my Subaru Legacy Estate. Fuel
starvation.

Superb car but started to get expensive when things did eventually start to
go wrong. Would have had another, but the Subaru Dealership was not renewed
here on the Isle of WIGHT. One of my daughters' is on her third Subaru. A
Legacy Estate like mine to start with then a couple of Impreza's, she is
talking about getting another one

Mike

Old 30-09-2011, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MuddyMike" wrote

"Bart" wrote , Janet Tweedy
Not sure if anyone has any suggestions to solve current plight with
lawnmower but I'd be glad of any ideas.

Sounds very much like an electrical problem of some
kind..............as if the fuel supply is blocked, there is no chance
of restart after a short time, without having cleared the blockage
first.

Not always. If the float valve is partially blocked it can allow a little
fuel to trickle through which in time will re fill the float chamber, but
not enough to run the engine, so when the bowl has emptied the engine
splutters and dies from fuel starvation.

I had a similar problem with my 90 and that turned out to be a faulty fuel
pump simply not pumping enough fuel for running at anything above 30 mph. It
would splutter and cut out and then restart and run for a while after a
short rest.
No fuel pump on a Hayter so suspect some fuel blockage somewhere, Could be a
fuel filter in the tank/outlet, the pipe, the inlet to the carb, the float
chamber (usual), and the jet. The only way is to strip it down and blow it
out with a high pressure air line.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 30-09-2011, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 30, 3:53*pm, "MuddyMike" wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message

On Sep 29, 11:51 am, Janet Tweedy wrote:

Not sure if anyone has any suggestions to solve current plight with
lawnmower but I'd be glad of any ideas.

Sounds very much like an electrical problem of some
kind..............as if the fuel supply is blocked, there is no chance
of restart after a short time, without having cleared the blockage
first.

Not always. If the float valve is partially blocked it can allow a little
fuel to trickle through which in time will re fill the float chamber, but
not enough to run the engine, so when the bowl has emptied the engine
splutters and dies from fuel starvation.

Mike

I wonder if you bothered to read what the OP had to say in her post?
Seems the fuel system has been looked at very closely already, and as
the system on a lawnmower is extremely simple, a fuel blockage is
highly unlikely. Seems to me it would be well worth removing the plug
when the mower stops, as if there is then no spark this will be
immediately obvious, and the problem can then be easily fixed.

On the other hand if there is a good spark, then I would suggest
trying another carb, as on anything which is used infrequently and has
modern fuel it it, there is a good chance of internal deposits inside
the carb, which may be causing some strange problems, and generally
cannot be removed even with ultrasonic cleaning.