Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sick, no. Frustrated, yes

On Oct 1, 10:13*am, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 30/09/2011 18:25, Baz wrote:

*wrote :

Look guys and girls, I know I can be a cnut. Enough of that.

I am trying to make us all aware of a new wave of fraud.

Forensic fraud.

Ok, some wise arse is going to say that their DNA is not possible
within the internet.

These people use whatever means they can to rob you of your money.

Forensic Fraud comes from your mobile phone or computer, meaning that
they can find out with forensic software just how much money they can
steal from you! Your post code is enough, and this code is so bloody
easy to find. Just be aware of this please.

Baz

Sorry, I should have said Foresic Internet Fraud.

Baz

I suggest you stop reading scare stories in the Daily Mail or Express or
which ever paranoid right wing tabloid rag is feeding your delusions.

Get a grip. There are risks to being on the internet, but they can be
managed with a decent firewall and suitable anti virus and malware tools
will go a long way towards protecting you. Trouble is people click on
links and allow unknown code to run. Today even major players distribute
unsigned driver code online which is a total disgrace.

BTW: Knowing a postcode gives you next to nothing in a city.

You should probably be a lot more scared of 118 people searchhttp://www.118.com/people-search.mvc

Or the fully searchable copy of the (edited) electoral roll for England
given away with a computer magazine a few years back.

If you are really worried about online banking security you can run
something like Trusteer Rapport as recommended by some banks.

http://www.trusteer.com/product/trusteer-rapport

This blocks a most of the potential weak points in common browsers and
adds another layer of protection to secure online transactions.

Regards,
Martin Brown- Hide quoted text -

In my last house I had my own postcode as did all my nieghbours.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/10/2011 9:50 PM, Baz wrote:
Martin wrote in news:5RAhq.140
:

[...]

I may appear to be an alarmist, but truly I am not.

I have a firm grip.

I would respectfuly ask you to wait until Forensic Internet Fraud(FIF) hits
the news before you condemn me. It will no doubt shock you.

I very much doubt that it will shock anyone with a firm grip on reality

While it is certainly possible to use computer forensic methods to
recover personal data, the very least of my worries is fraud. It is a
common misconception - encouraged by the banking industry - that you
lose financially if someone accesses your bank account fraudulently. It
is the bank that loses, not you. If they pay money out of your account
to a fraudster they are liable. They want you to think that you will
lose in order to keep you vigilant on their behalf.

Other personal data - such as the plethora of intimate photos etc.,
floating about the net could be more of a worry. Only for those dumb
enough to keep such images on a phone or computer.

There is no possible way short of breaking into my home at gunpoint that
anyone is going to get data from any of my computers. Even then, all
sensitive data is heavily encrypted, they would have fun trying to crack
into that.

They would have tremendous difficulty in finding me, my headers give
nothing away that is of use. I post through servers that are neither
associated with me not physically close to me.

I have an old system setup on my LAN that is outside the firewall,
simply as a tethered goat. There is nothing on it other than a bunch of
very erotic images of my ex wife and the contact details of my ex
mother-in-law, my wife's staff, and a number of her old boyfriends. I
keep hoping that someone will hack in and put them on some nice juicy
web site, but after nearly six years - not a nibble. Most problems are
acquired actively - you need to visit a malicious website or fail to
scan incoming mail.

Forensic science is used by organised criminals, as well as the
authorities.

Yes, I use it. I check up on kids for their parent's peace of mind.
Sometime they lose whatever peace of mind they started with - but not
often.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/10/2011 12:50, Baz wrote:
[...]

The ability of the great unwashed to get themselves into trouble on the
Internet by clicking on dodgy links and allowing arbitrary hostile code
to run does not surprise me at all. However, the risks from far more
mundane card skimming at petrol stations, pubs and clubs is a lot worse.

I know of a few major corporates still running XP with IE6 and WEP128
WiFi - they are the real targets for skilled blackhats. You are not.

Although there are cold caller type operations that will try to trick
you into downloading Trojan code and installing it by pretending to help
you solve a virus problem - very clever social engineering in the script
that they use. Good enough that non-experts seem to fall for it.

And if you are thinking that the recently set up Internet ActionFraud
website can help you all they really provide is a bit bin for the
worried to send their spam to. They could not even configure their own
email system correctly to accept the spam they asked people to send to
them - rejecting it as "spam" let alone unravel forged headers. It would
make an interesting FOI question - "How many prosecutions has this
useless ineffectual quango initiated?"

Despite my criticisms of them some of their advice is just about OK
http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/suppor...elf-from-fraud

I remain seriously unconvinced by Verified-by-Visa which is a textbook
example of how *not* to implement a secure transaction system.

Forensic science is used by organised criminals, as well as the
authorities. Forget paper chases for a moment and think software chases by
those who like money SO much that they will go to any lengths to have ours.

As far as I am concerned this matter is closed until a time when it will be
taken seriously and everyone is aware.

Baz

You really do need to stop reading sensationalised paranoid rightwing
media and get a grip on reality. There are some real threats online and
they can be managed provided that you are reasonably sensible about it.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote in
:

On 01/10/2011 12:50, Baz wrote:
Martin wrote in
news:5RAhq.140 :

http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/suppor...ect-yourself-f
rom-fraud

I remain seriously unconvinced by Verified-by-Visa which is a textbook
example of how *not* to implement a secure transaction system.

Forensic science is used by organised criminals, as well as the
authorities. Forget paper chases for a moment and think software
chases by those who like money SO much that they will go to any
lengths to have ours.

As far as I am concerned this matter is closed until a time when it
will be taken seriously and everyone is aware.

Baz

You really do need to stop reading sensationalised paranoid rightwing
media and get a grip on reality. There are some real threats online
and they can be managed provided that you are reasonably sensible
about it.

Regards,
Martin Brown

OK then

Baz
Old 03-10-2011, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

You should probably be a lot more scared of 118 people search
http://www.118.com/people-search.mvc

I'm not on there or 192.com

Or the fully searchable copy of the (edited) electoral roll for England
given away with a computer magazine a few years back.

I don't know if I am on that.
I worked until recently for a child protection team for over 20 years and
all workers were removed from any database they could be traced by.

Old 17-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
"Martin Brown" wrote in message

You should probably be a lot more scared of 118 people search
Search for people fast with 118.com the No. 1 in Directory Enquiries

I'm not on there or 192.com

Or the fully searchable copy of the (edited) electoral roll for England
given away with a computer magazine a few years back.

I don't know if I am on that.
I worked until recently for a child protection team for over 20 years and
all workers were removed from any database they could be traced by.

will site like this not be used for fraud? Most published report about victims of identity thieves are popular personality. I am just not sure if it happens to ordinary citizens.
Old 19-10-2011, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/10/2011 16:53, jahnin wrote:
Christina Websell;938566 Wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
...--
-
You should probably be a lot more scared of 118 people search
'Search for people fast with 118.com the No. 1 in Directory Enquiries'
(http://www.118.com/people-search.mvc)-

I'm not on there or 192.com-

Or the fully searchable copy of the (edited) electoral roll for England

given away with a computer magazine a few years back.-

I don't know if I am on that.
I worked until recently for a child protection team for over 20 years
and
all workers were removed from any database they could be traced by.

will site like this not be used for fraud? Most published report about
victims of identity thieves are popular personality. I am just not sure
if it happens to ordinary citizens.

Yes it does. A friend's mother has had her identity stolen (unclear how)
and gets way more attention from bailiffs knocking at the door than is
good for someone who is retired. I think it is sorted out now but it
took a fair amount of effort to resolve (only case I know of).

I suspected that I had been done recently when financial mail about a
possible fraud addressed Mr other initials than mine Brown turned up
on the doormat. A visit to their bank revealed that another Mr Brown had
previously lived at my address and it was a prehistoric relic from some
antiquated database that their card fraud squad were still using. I have
had bother myself with Visa's own brand "Card Sentinel" or whatever it's
called now sending a list of all my credit cards to a previous address
(so I had some sympathy for the other Mr Brown).

And skimming cards in pubs and clubs is I am afraid routine in the
run-up to Xmas. Best advice is never let your card out of your sight.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 19-10-2011, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/10/2011 18:51, Janet wrote:
In , jahnin.91496b6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Most published report about
victims of identity thieves are popular personality. I am just not sure
if it happens to ordinary citizens.

It does.

Janet

My guess is that it sometimes happens due to the incompetence of banks
and credit card companies. At our old address in England I received a
letter from a credit card company saying my application for a card had
been successful. I hadn't asked for a card from them! In the same
envelope was someone else's bank statement - apparently it had been
provided to the card company as proof of who they were and their
address. However the address on the statement wasn't the same as mine.
The card company had apparently run the persons address through some
computer and decided to change their postcode and another line in their
address... resulting in my address twenty miles away. The following day
I got their credit card in the post and a couple of days after that the
associated PIN number! I phoned the card company to tell them their
error but they refused to talk to me because I wasn't the card holder...
lol Lucky I'm honest. I just stuffed the lot back into a letterbox and
marked it nobody with that name at this address, return to sender. A
week later I got a baffled letter from them still badly addressed
puzzled why I'd returned everything. I stuffed that one back in the
postbox - return to sender too. Didn't hear from them after that.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 19-10-2011, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/10/2011 21:42, David in Normandy wrote:
On 19/10/2011 18:51, Janet wrote:
In , jahnin.91496b6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Most published report about
victims of identity thieves are popular personality. I am just not sure
if it happens to ordinary citizens.

It does.

My guess is that it sometimes happens due to the incompetence of banks
and credit card companies. At our old address in England I received a
letter from a credit card company saying my application for a card had
been successful. I hadn't asked for a card from them! In the same
envelope was someone else's bank statement - apparently it had been
provided to the card company as proof of who they were and their
address. However the address on the statement wasn't the same as mine.

At that point I would turn the whole lot over to the police. YMMV

The card company had apparently run the persons address through some
computer and decided to change their postcode and another line in their
address... resulting in my address twenty miles away. The following day
I got their credit card in the post and a couple of days after that the
associated PIN number! I phoned the card company to tell them their
error but they refused to talk to me because I wasn't the card holder...

Then you ask to speak to a supervisor or their fraud section directly
and hard cancel the card (and for good measure point out that their
droids scripts are flawed). Follow up in writing to leave a paper trail
- they can conveniently lose those phone recordings when it suits them.

lol Lucky I'm honest. I just stuffed the lot back into a letterbox and
marked it nobody with that name at this address, return to sender. A
week later I got a baffled letter from them still badly addressed
puzzled why I'd returned everything. I stuffed that one back in the
postbox - return to sender too. Didn't hear from them after that.

That is a very bad idea for unsolicited and unsigned credit cards bound
to your name and address. If you send it back slice it in two first and
damage the signature area to show "VOID". Otherwise they are quite dumb
enough to send it on to the original criminal perpetrator at his address

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 19-10-2011, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/10/2011 23:34, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

The thing was that that neither the letter nor the credit card was in my
name anyway. The address on the letter was a hybrid between that of the
intended recipient (as shown on their bank statement) and my address. It
was somewhat surprising that the postman consistently delivered those
three letters to our address anyway since the address was quite mangled.
I'd decided I'd wasted enough time and the cost of a phone call phoning
the droids at the credit card company trying to sort out THEIR problem -
and being stuck in a queue for twenty minutes waiting to speak to
someone... "You call is important to us blah blah blah" ; but as they
didn't want to know when I finally got to speak to someone - stuff em.
I'd done my bit. It wasn't my problem either.

Old 20-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
There is a fool proof method of dealing with all this.
Conduct NO business of any sort on the internet.
Burn all paperwork, throw nothing out with personal details.
Keep nothing on any computer linked to the internet related to money,
personal details
There is a foolproof method of losing money to muggers: never walk down the street with money or cards in your pocket.

But you probably need to buy stuff. You can't buy stuff without putting yourself to some degree of risk of loss to fraud or violence. The issue is to reduce the risk to tolerable levels. If you refuse to transact in the e-commerce market, you are missing a lot of valuable economic opportunities.
Old 20-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Registered User

Thumbs down

very frustrated,very frustrated.

Frustrated bird Padraig Garden Photos 3 02-05-2007 08:08 PM
CO2 Injectors for Land Plants? Yes yes OT OT, I know... Ronn Cliborn Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 07-12-2006 04:58 PM
Newbie and frustrated ebruvold Ponds 29 20-03-2005 01:47 AM
bird fair - rutland water - suitable for children ? yes.yes.yes Maudette United Kingdom 0 10-08-2004 10:45 AM
What should I do to keep my water clear? FRUSTRATED...? Lava Plays Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 01-05-2003 04:56 PM