Old 17-10-2011, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Nights drawing in

It realy feels like Autumn now, the nights are drawing in, and despite
the forecast having been for 3 dayd without rain, it's been a wet one
here at this end of Swansea Bay, water lying out the field amongst the
dahlias, and the rabbits have already realised that I have taken down
the electric netting and are back digging.along the paths, and have
even had a go at some of the late growing chickweed, they can have all
of it if they want.
Have to gather the runner beans I left for seed as well as the peas,
as soon as they dry.
Then it's dahlia lifting for the next few weeks, it would be nice if
they could dry on the field after lifting.
What jobs have you got lined up for the next few weeks?
David
Old 17-10-2011, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote

It realy feels like Autumn now, the nights are drawing in, and despite
the forecast having been for 3 dayd without rain, it's been a wet one
here at this end of Swansea Bay, water lying out the field amongst the
dahlias, and the rabbits have already realised that I have taken down
the electric netting and are back digging.along the paths, and have
even had a go at some of the late growing chickweed, they can have all
of it if they want.
Have to gather the runner beans I left for seed as well as the peas,
as soon as they dry.
Then it's dahlia lifting for the next few weeks, it would be nice if
they could dry on the field after lifting.
What jobs have you got lined up for the next few weeks?

Well we have to arrange to have two trees taken down, a large Robinia
pseudoacacia "Tortuosa" and a large Cordyline australis. Both in our front
garden and now too big for the space, also drop too much rubbish on the car
and front.
Tomatoes will need to come out as soon as a frost gets them and the same
with the chillies although they will be fully cropped once there is a
suggestion of a decent frost but before it happens. Need to tidy up the
allotment, not that it's untidy, and our gardens before the winter sets in
too.

--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK

Old 17-10-2011, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article f3dd3f2c-2af6-47e5-bf34-e5ed260c91a8
@e37g2000yqa.googlegroups.com, says...

It realy feels like Autumn now, the nights are drawing in, and despite
the forecast having been for 3 dayd without rain, it's been a wet one
here at this end of Swansea Bay, water lying out the field amongst the
dahlias, and the rabbits have already realised that I have taken down
the electric netting and are back digging.along the paths, and have
even had a go at some of the late growing chickweed, they can have all
of it if they want.
Have to gather the runner beans I left for seed as well as the peas,
as soon as they dry.
Then it's dahlia lifting for the next few weeks, it would be nice if
they could dry on the field after lifting.
What jobs have you got lined up for the next few weeks?
David

Noticed that the runner beans are leaning somewhat now, and with the
wind and the rain, they could well be on the ground by the morning!
Clear them up and dig over the area where all the beans were planted
this year. Then its clearing the sweet corn plants and moving the
contents of the compost heap onto various parts of the garden, then turn
this years compost heap into last years now empty container. And thats
all before the end of the month!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 17-10-2011, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:17:01 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

It realy feels like Autumn now, the nights are drawing in, and despite
the forecast having been for 3 dayd without rain, it's been a wet one
here at this end of Swansea Bay, water lying out the field amongst the
dahlias, and the rabbits have already realised that I have taken down
the electric netting and are back digging.along the paths, and have
even had a go at some of the late growing chickweed, they can have all
of it if they want.
Have to gather the runner beans I left for seed as well as the peas,
as soon as they dry.
Then it's dahlia lifting for the next few weeks, it would be nice if
they could dry on the field after lifting.
What jobs have you got lined up for the next few weeks?
David

Not only nights drawing in but mornings getting lighter later - I
overslept this morning because the cat decided not to get up and go
out at 6.30, presumably because it was dark (still dark when I did
wake up at 7).

Now I'm really waiting for a frost to make my mind up for me. Most of
the garden is put to bed save for one perennial bed that should have
been planted up by now but the nursery hasn't got round to sending the
plants. However I have one large bed currently full of begonia
semperflorens that are still florensing their little hearts out and I
don't want to dig them up just yet. But I've got 400 tulips to go into
that bed before the ground freezes over in November (if forecasts are
to be believed). So a frost would clobber the begonias and I wouldn't
mind digging them up so much.

Then it's question time again. Questions such as why did my acanthus
grow to about twice their size compared to last year but not a single
flower appeared? And why do I have a phlox infested with lily beetle?
And why couldn't the mower just hang on for another couple of square
metres on Saturday before conking out?

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay where about the
same moisture-wise as the more wet end.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 17-10-2011, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 17, 6:17*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
It realy feels like Autumn now, the nights are drawing in, and despite
the forecast having been for 3 dayd without rain, it's been a wet one
here at this end of Swansea Bay, water lying out the field amongst the
dahlias, and the rabbits have already realised that I have taken down
the electric netting and are back digging.along the paths, and have
even had a go at some of the late growing chickweed, they can have all
of it if they want.
Have to gather the runner beans I left for seed as well as the peas,
as soon as they dry.
Then it's dahlia lifting for the next few weeks, it would be nice if
they could dry on the field after lifting.
What jobs have you got lined up for the next few weeks?
David

Herefordshire. The ground is dry as snuff here. Like digging
concrete.
Had only a few light showers, evaprates in minutes.

Old 18-10-2011, 11:28 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
What jobs have you got lined up for the next few weeks?
Yorkshire - wet and cold, lawn really squelchy.

With 2deg forecast for Weds night, I spend yesterday putting up bubble wrap in the greenhouse. I now need to make sure I've collected all the tender stuff from the garden, and re-shuffle the cacti into their winter positions so the warm-loving ones are nearest the heaters.

Then I need to finish clearing excess weed from the ponds. There is no good time to do this wildlife-wise, but autumn seems the least bad.

And, of course, I need to pick the late apples and the medlars.
__________________
Old 18-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Yorkshire - wet and cold, lawn really squelchy.

With 2deg forecast for Weds night, I spend yesterday putting up bubble wrap in the greenhouse. I now need to make sure I've collected all the tender stuff from the garden, and re-shuffle the cacti into their winter positions so the warm-loving ones are nearest the heaters.

Then I need to finish clearing excess weed from the ponds. There is no good time to do this wildlife-wise, but autumn seems the least bad.

And, of course, I need to pick the late apples and the medlars.
We've just cleared our pond and allotment from weeds.
Took a lot longer than expected but that should be enough for a while now!

What cacti do you have? I have been considering getting another one after my old one died.
Old 18-10-2011, 06:35 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyStuart View Post
What cacti do you have? I have been considering getting another one after my old one died.
I have mammillaria. Apart from a few species, the flowers aren't large, but they flower in abundance, and over a long season (several are in flower now), and the spine formation is very attractive.

We also have rebutia (easy to flower, with abundant flowers over a shorter season), gymnocalycium (bigger and fewer flowers, but again attractive plants when not in flower), sulcorebutia (like rebutia, but more attractive spines), lobivia/echinopsis (beautiful flowers, some plants with a few huge flowers, others with more smaller flowers in beautiful deep reds and pinks, some of them on attractive plants), and a few plants of various other genera.

What was your old one like? And what do you like in a cactus - are you after flowers or an attractive plant?