Old 25-11-2011, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default wood ash

I recently acquired a wood burner for the workshop/garage and was hoping to
use the ash somehow in the garden. I read that small amounts can be
beneficial to the garden but in the winter months I will have lots of the
stuff as I will be spending lots of time in there with a project I'm
working on.

My question is what can I do with the ash?
I have read that it is good for tomatoes so I am assuming it is good for
potatoes, is this true? and if so do I spread it as I get it or keep it in
its dry form or compost it?

Thanks
Baz
Old 25-11-2011, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 13:15:20 GMT, Baz wrote:

I recently acquired a wood burner for the workshop/garage and was hoping to
use the ash somehow in the garden. I read that small amounts can be
beneficial to the garden but in the winter months I will have lots of the
stuff as I will be spending lots of time in there with a project I'm
working on.

My question is what can I do with the ash?
I have read that it is good for tomatoes so I am assuming it is good for
potatoes, is this true? and if so do I spread it as I get it or keep it in
its dry form or compost it?

Wood ash is wonderful for the garden, but if the wood has been treated
with fungicide (fence posts etc) don't put it around vegetables or
fruit.
Old 25-11-2011, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Nov 25, 1:15*pm, Baz wrote:
I recently acquired a wood burner for the workshop/garage and was hoping to
use the ash somehow in the garden. I read that small amounts can be
beneficial to the garden but in the winter months I will have lots of the
stuff as I will be spending lots of time in there with a project I'm
working on.

My question is what can I do with the ash?
I have read that it is good for tomatoes so I am assuming it is good for
potatoes, is this true? and if so do I spread it as I get it or keep it in
its dry form or compost it?

Thanks
Baz

Its also good for wiping out persistent weeds. Simply apply it in
bulk.

NT
Old 25-11-2011, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 25, 1:15*pm, Baz wrote:
I recently acquired a wood burner for the workshop/garage and was hoping to
use the ash somehow in the garden. I read that small amounts can be
beneficial to the garden but in the winter months I will have lots of the
stuff as I will be spending lots of time in there with a project I'm
working on.

My question is what can I do with the ash?
I have read that it is good for tomatoes so I am assuming it is good for
potatoes, is this true? and if so do I spread it as I get it or keep it in
its dry form or compost it?

Thanks
Baz

You wont get as much ash as you think. No need to get excited,
Don't put ash down from burned tanalised timber. In days of yore it
contained arsenic and copper.
Old 26-11-2011, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote in
:

Plants get the best potash benefit if you store it dry in winter to
use
when planting out in spring. Also useful as a dry slug barrier on the
soil surface round newly planted out brassicas. Retired metal dustbins
(with lid) are ideal.
If you've got lots spare you can also sprinkle layers in the compost
heap; the alkali in ash counteracts acidity in decaying plant
material.

Janet.

Thanks,
Just have to see how much ash I get, so will store dry for now, then later
on if I get too much it will go in the compost heap.

One extra question, I have limed my brassica bed for next year already so
could I also add the ash at planting time?
Also could I get benefit in sprinkling it around my winter and spring
cabbage now?

Baz

Old 26-11-2011, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote in
:

I have a woodburner and a wood burning stove. I put the ash into the
compost, layering it with other stuff and I also sprinkle it direct
onto the veg patch throughout the Winter letting the weather and worms
take it down.

Thanks

Baz
Old 26-11-2011, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Fuschia wrote in
:

Wood ash is wonderful for the garden, but if the wood has been treated
with fungicide (fence posts etc) don't put it around vegetables or
fruit.

Good point.
Baz

Old 26-11-2011, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote in
:

You wont get as much ash as you think. No need to get excited,

You are right, I was burning some last night and this morning and had far
less ash than I expected, but thats a good thing. At least I am not filling
up a landfill site. I think I can use what I gather over the winter.

Thanks
Baz
Old 26-11-2011, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
harry wrote in
:

You wont get as much ash as you think. No need to get excited,

You are right, I was burning some last night and this morning and had far
less ash than I expected, but thats a good thing. At least I am not
filling
up a landfill site. I think I can use what I gather over the winter.

Thanks
Baz

That's right.

If you double click on picture 2 and pan into the fire, you will see an ash
tray. That fire was burning all day and didn't fill the tray

Mike

Old 26-11-2011, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Baz" wrote in message
harry wrote in
:

You wont get as much ash as you think. No need to get excited,

You are right, I was burning some last night and this morning and had far
less ash than I expected, but thats a good thing. At least I am not
filling
up a landfill site. I think I can use what I gather over the winter.

Thanks
Baz

That's right.

If you double click on picture 2 and pan into the fire, you will see an
ash tray. That fire was burning all day and didn't fill the tray

:-))))

Forgot didn't I? ;-)))

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=IKAF3YLN

Old 28-11-2011, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:18:40 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Thanks
Baz

That's right.

If you double click on picture 2 and pan into the fire, you will see an
ash tray. That fire was burning all day and didn't fill the tray

:-))))

Forgot didn't I? ;-)))

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=IKAF3YLN

yup.

Have just emptied ours and am saving it up in an old bird seed bag.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 28-11-2011, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

If you double click on picture 2 and pan into the fire, you will see an
ash tray. That fire was burning all day and didn't fill the tray

:-))))

Forgot didn't I? ;-)))

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=IKAF3YLN

PS: Can I come to your house at Christmas?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 28-11-2011, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

If you double click on picture 2 and pan into the fire, you will see an
ash tray. That fire was burning all day and didn't fill the tray

:-))))

Forgot didn't I? ;-)))

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=IKAF3YLN

PS: Can I come to your house at Christmas?
--

Not mine, daughter and son in law's.

Mike

Old 29-11-2011, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

If you double click on picture 2 and pan into the fire, you will see an
ash tray. That fire was burning all day and didn't fill the tray

:-))))

Forgot didn't I? ;-)))

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=IKAF3YLN

PS: Can I come to your house at Christmas?
--

Not mine, daughter and son in law's.

Mike

I've also heard it's good for keeping the moss on the footpath down. Can
anyone confirm this?

Old 29-11-2011, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p.mc" wrote in message

wrote:

If you double click on picture 2 and pan into the fire, you will see
an
ash tray. That fire was burning all day and didn't fill the tray

:-))))

Forgot didn't I? ;-)))

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=IKAF3YLN

PS: Can I come to your house at Christmas?
--

Not mine, daughter and son in law's.

Mike

I've also heard it's good for keeping the moss on the footpath down. Can
anyone confirm this?

WHAT A WASTE :-(((

Mike