Old 29-11-2011, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default rats

"shazzbat" wrote in
:

"jess1990" wrote in message

hello.i've got rats nesting in my compost bin!i'm not sure how they
have got in.what should i do?cheers,lee

Unless your compost bin is indoors, nothing. If they're not in the
compost bin they'll be under the shed, or in the bin area, or
wherever. But not far away.

Steve

A useful url

http://becomingdomestic.co.uk/2008/0...to-kill-a-rat/

Baz
Old 29-11-2011, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 28, 9:52*pm, wrote:
harry wrote:
Are you a nutter that chucks food about the place so encouraging rats.?

I feed the chickens, and we appear to have rats again, so probably, by your
definition. *Strictly speaking, I don't "chuck food about", but I do throw
it into their run, or into their feeding area, and they spread it around a
bit.

Well that's why you have rats. Which will also be plaguing your
nieghbours.
Get a proper feeder. It also reduces waste.
Old 29-11-2011, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 28, 10:30*am, wrote:
harry wrote:
There are rats everywhere. Especially where you have horse/other
animal owning nutters, chucking feed about everywhere.

Poison them.

The rats, or the "animal owning nutters"?

Steve

Ideally both.

Love you too, Harry.

Amusingly, I've just realised that when I read your posts now I get a mental
image of them being read by grumpy Harry out of Brookside.

Never watch such drivel. Or Eastenders, Coronation St etc.
The last time I saw Coronation street, Ena Sharples was starring.
Victor Meldrew was right.
Old 29-11-2011, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
On Nov 28, 9:52 pm, wrote:
harry wrote:
Are you a nutter that chucks food about the place so encouraging rats.?

I feed the chickens, and we appear to have rats again, so probably, by
your
definition. Strictly speaking, I don't "chuck food about", but I do
throw
it into their run, or into their feeding area, and they spread it around
bit.

Well that's why you have rats. Which will also be plaguing your
nieghbours.
Get a proper feeder. It also reduces waste.

CRAP. I had proper feeders when I had a Deep Litter House. The birds
themselves have no table manners and scatter the food. Consequently I had
rats too.

Theory from books is one thing. Experience from the Real World is another.

"Those who 'can' .. do. Those who 'can't' ... preach"

Kindest possible regards

Mike
Been there. Done that. Got the Tee Shirt

Thornbers 404 and 606's .................... You are all tooooooooooooooooo
young to know what I am talking about.

Old 29-11-2011, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/11/11 22:20, David in Normandy wrote:

I had mice living in one of my compost bins last Winter. They did a
smashing job of converting all the cardboard and paper into fine bits
along with the rest of the compost. Come spring it was the best batch of
compost of all the bins and easy to spread on the garden. First time
I've thought of the little buggers as doing something useful.

At last year's annual service on my car in September, the mechanic came
round to where I was sitting, carrying my air filter, which he showed me
with a broad grin. It was stuffed absolutely full of peanuts.

It seems the mice had found a useful storeroom, complete with central
heating after I'd been driving out.

I've since hidden *my* peanut store.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 29-11-2011, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
On Nov 28, 10:30 am, wrote:
harry wrote:
There are rats everywhere. Especially where you have horse/other
animal owning nutters, chucking feed about everywhere.

Poison them.

The rats, or the "animal owning nutters"?

Steve

Ideally both.

Love you too, Harry.

Amusingly, I've just realised that when I read your posts now I get a
mental
image of them being read by grumpy Harry out of Brookside.

Never watch such drivel. Or Eastenders, Coronation St etc.
The last time I saw Coronation street, Ena Sharples was starring.
Victor Meldrew was right.

My wife worked in the Legal Department of the local council and some of the
staff were discussing a soap. 'What will happen next? What will so and so
do?'

""Whatever the script writer has put in the script"" stopped the damned
stupid soaps ever being discussed in front of her again.

If people were to get themselves involved in Local Theatre as I am, they
would realize that 'theatre', 'radio', 'stage' etc is ACTING. Not the real
world, ....................... escapism.

And it can be related to those on this forum/newsgroup who think that what
is said on a packet of seeds will mean that the plants/whatever it is, will
come up like the picture :-(((((((

Mike

Old 29-11-2011, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

harry wrote:
I feed the chickens, and we appear to have rats again, so probably, by your
definition. ?Strictly speaking, I don't "chuck food about", but I do throw
it into their run, or into their feeding area, and they spread it around a
bit.

Well that's why you have rats. Which will also be plaguing your
nieghbours.
Get a proper feeder. It also reduces waste.

They have a proper feeder. They still drop bits out of it.
And it's not really appropriate for putting porridge or risotto in.

Rats, Rats, R-A-T-S J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 13 07-08-2003 03:32 AM
Rats and mice Just a little bit Australia 12 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Rats in garden Paul Australia 6 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
[IBC] Tree Rats Louis Brooks Bonsai 0 16-02-2003 05:03 PM
rats in compost Nat United Kingdom 14 31-01-2003 08:18 PM