Old 13-12-2011, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What a night!

Well, after all that wind and rain, and some disturbing noises outside that
had to wait till morning to investigate, I found we've got off very lightly.
The dustbin lid has gone AWOL, the bird table was at 45degrees, one cement
troll fallen off the wall and smashed, and quite a bit of water in the
greenhouse. So far, I think that's it.

How did you get on?

Steve

Old 13-12-2011, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Dec 13, 10:47*am, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 09:38:20 -0000, "shazzbat"

wrote:
Well, after all that wind and rain, and some disturbing noises outside that
had to wait till morning to investigate, I found we've got off very lightly.
The dustbin lid has gone AWOL, the bird table was at 45degrees, one cement
troll fallen off the wall and smashed, and quite a bit of water in the
greenhouse. So far, I think that's it.

How did you get on?

Steve

The wind peaked in the early evening yesterday down in west Cornwall,
gusting to around 60mph, with about two thirds of an inch of rain, so
nothing special; just a typical winter storm. No obvious damage in the
garden, but it's designed to cope with such weather, with all shrubs
doubly and sometimes triply staked with heavy stakes. Sunshine and
blustery hail showers here this morning.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Sunshine here now but half an hour ago heavy hail it's lying like snow
in places.
Overnight we had rain and wind gusting to just over 70mph, but we only
had 0.7 of an inch of rain and not the 2" that was forecast.
Plenty more rain and wind due over the next few days.
David
At the wet end of Swansea Bay,
Old 13-12-2011, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Here at what I think is temporarily the wetter end, it lashed down all
night; difficult to sleep with the hail smashing against the bedroom
window.

More hail and wind this morning but at the moment (close to midday)
the sky has cleared, the sun's come out to play and the wind has
dropped to a strong breeze.

Still got hail lying on the conservatory roof. About to venture out to
check the greenhouses. But no damage I can see from inside the house.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling (after the great storm) from
the usually dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay.
Old 13-12-2011, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote ...

Well, after all that wind and rain, and some disturbing noises outside that
had to wait till morning to investigate, I found we've got off very
lightly. The dustbin lid has gone AWOL, the bird table was at 45degrees,
one cement troll fallen off the wall and smashed, and quite a bit of water
in the greenhouse. So far, I think that's it.

How did you get on?

Bit windy and some heavy rain, which appears to have found a way into our
garage, not too bad though.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 13-12-2011, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 11:54:58 +0000, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

at at the moment (close to midday)
the sky has cleared, the sun's come out to play and the wind has
dropped to a strong breeze.

Note to self: NEVER Urgle that the weather's improved. An hour later
it'll be worse than it was before the improvement. Grey sky, driving
wind, heavy rain now.

Now I've said it's got worse, I'll wait and see if it improves again.
And if so, henceforth will relentlessly mention the worsening weather.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================

Old 13-12-2011, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-12-13 12:45:06 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

"shazzbat" wrote ...

Well, after all that wind and rain, and some disturbing noises outside
that had to wait till morning to investigate, I found we've got off
very lightly. The dustbin lid has gone AWOL, the bird table was at
45degrees, one cement troll fallen off the wall and smashed, and quite
a bit of water in the greenhouse. So far, I think that's it.

How did you get on?

Bit windy and some heavy rain, which appears to have found a way into
our garage, not too bad though.

Howling wind and rain forcing its way in through closed windows! Then
it all died away and was quiet. But it's quite gusty again this morning
with some very cold showers. I'm told that up on the moor, just outside
Ashburton, it's snowing.

Last night I could hear some thudding noises but too dark to see, and was
so this morning when I set out.
Came home for lunch break and I can see some felt on a nearby shed flapping
around. It's a miracle it hasn't torn off and blown away.

Baz
Old 13-12-2011, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
, Dave
Hill writes
Sunshine here now but half an hour ago heavy hail it's lying like snow
in places.
Overnight we had rain and wind gusting to just over 70mph, but we only
had 0.7 of an inch of rain and not the 2" that was forecast.
Plenty more rain and wind due over the next few days.
David
At the wet end of Swansea Bay,

3 degrees and falling here in south Bucks., also raining and sleet, wind
biting and dark very early.

Ah well, i would say I'd look forward to snow but after the last two
winters I've changed my mind!!

Prettiest Christmas was about 20 years ago when we had a haw frost on
Christmas eve and Christmas day was a magical picture.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 13-12-2011, 09:24 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzbat View Post
Well, after all that wind and rain, and some disturbing noises outside that
had to wait till morning to investigate, I found we've got off very lightly.
The dustbin lid has gone AWOL, the bird table was at 45degrees, one cement
troll fallen off the wall and smashed, and quite a bit of water in the
greenhouse. So far, I think that's it.

How did you get on?

Steve
Yorkshire - wet last night, not particularly aware of wind. Didn't see whether there was any damage since we left early and went to help fence round a pothole in the Dales. Much nicer than the weather forecast, though cold and *very* windy. I had six layers under my waterproof oversuit! But lots of sunny intervals, and when the precipitation arrived (which it did every 15 minutes or so), it was solid. Preferable to wet, though rather painful on the face.

Rivers very full, and the Wharfe had broken its banks (though not reached the road) in the Ilkley area.

Tonight it is still windy, and very noisy in the chimney of my study.
__________________
Old 14-12-2011, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-12-13 12:45:06 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

"shazzbat" wrote ...

Well, after all that wind and rain, and some disturbing noises outside
that had to wait till morning to investigate, I found we've got off
very lightly. The dustbin lid has gone AWOL, the bird table was at
45degrees, one cement troll fallen off the wall and smashed, and quite
a bit of water in the greenhouse. So far, I think that's it.

How did you get on?

Bit windy and some heavy rain, which appears to have found a way into
our garage, not too bad though.

Howling wind and rain forcing its way in through closed windows! Then
it all died away and was quiet. But it's quite gusty again this morning
with some very cold showers. I'm told that up on the moor, just outside
Ashburton, it's snowing.

The rain arrived here this evening

More heavy rain and strong winds forecast for tonight & tomorrow. I got the
dustbin lid back from next door, I'll put it in the shed and hope for the
best.

Steve

Old 15-12-2011, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:33:11 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

. ..

On 2011-12-13 12:45:06 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

"shazzbat" wrote ...

Well, after all that wind and rain, and some disturbing noises
outside
that had to wait till morning to investigate, I found we've got off
very lightly. The dustbin lid has gone AWOL, the bird table was at
45degrees, one cement troll fallen off the wall and smashed, and
quite
a bit of water in the greenhouse. So far, I think that's it.

How did you get on?

Bit windy and some heavy rain, which appears to have found a way into
our garage, not too bad though.

Howling wind and rain forcing its way in through closed windows! Then
it all died away and was quiet. But it's quite gusty again this morning
with some very cold showers. I'm told that up on the moor, just outside
Ashburton, it's snowing.

The rain arrived here this evening

You snipped the South Pole live webcam :-)

Sorry about that. I tend to just snip to the bit I want to reply to. I
hadn't checked out the link, I have now, and bookmarked it.

Steve

Old 15-12-2011, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 11:04:20 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:33:11 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

m...

On 2011-12-13 12:45:06 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

"shazzbat" wrote ...

[...]

I put it there because I assumed people weren't opening links. Most of
the time I don't open links either. It's a shame that the US have made
the South Pole look like an industrial estate. I hope they have a plan
B if there is a fire.
--

Throw snow on it?

And is there a webcam for the north pole ?

Steve

Night flowering tree?? Tony Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
"City Gardener" last night and Miscanthus Annabel United Kingdom 5 02-04-2003 02:44 PM
Possible frost/freeze Saturday night/Sunday Morning Wayfarer Texas 8 28-03-2003 10:56 PM
transplanting night blooming jasmine Zemedelec Gardening 4 28-02-2003 06:03 PM
how much plant is too much plant for fish at night? linda mar Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 20-02-2003 03:54 AM