Old 30-12-2011, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wellies

There was a discussion a while ago about wellies - which made me look
up some to buy but have lost the links.

Desperately need some now (Probably need waders if it keeps raining
though! LOL)

Reinforced bit in the bottom for digging a good idea or not?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 30-12-2011, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
There was a discussion a while ago about wellies - which made me look
up some to buy but have lost the links.

Desperately need some now (Probably need waders if it keeps raining
though! LOL)

Reinforced bit in the bottom for digging a good idea or not?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

If you need to wear wellies, I would say the soil is probably too wet for
digging. I only ever wear steel capped work boots to the allotment.

Wellies are for walking in puddles.

Steve

Old 30-12-2011, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote in
:

Reinforced bit in the bottom for digging a good idea or not?

You would feel the benefit after a long day digging, as do the labourers at
my place of work! You can work harder, and longer.

Baz
Old 30-12-2011, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/30/2011 02:33 PM, mogga wrote:
There was a discussion a while ago about wellies - which made me look
up some to buy but have lost the links.

I really like Le Chameau, they're dear but comfortable and last very
well. I'm nearly 10 years on the current pair.

Very good fit if you have a big calf. (The really expensive ones come
in different calf sizes, but I've never done more than try them on...)
Old 30-12-2011, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Dec 30, 2:09*pm, Baz wrote:
mogga wrote :

Reinforced bit in the bottom for digging a good idea or not?

You would feel the benefit after a long day digging, as do the labourers at
my place of work! You can work harder, and longer.

Baz

As one who lives in wellies, I go for Nora, they are plastic and
light, no lining, so if they get dirty inside you can wash them out
and dry them. They are not cheap but they are good, I've been wearing
them for over 40 years (No not the same pair)
As I am in them for around 10 hours a day I go for lightness,
If you are worried about diging in them then an old answer to that was
to get a couple of bits of old hose pipe around 3 inches long, slice
down the length and slip them one each side over the top of the blade
of the spade.
If you have old hose around then the cost is nothing and easy to
replace as required.
David

Old 30-12-2011, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 30, 1:33*pm, mogga wrote:
There was a discussion a while ago about wellies - which made me look
up some to buy but have lost the links.

Desperately need some now (Probably need waders if it keeps raining
though! LOL)

Reinforced bit in the bottom for digging a good idea or not?
--http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Safety wellies have the reinforced bit in the instep (I like it) and
steel or other hard toecaps.
Safety footwear usually comes without VAT

Rod
Old 30-12-2011, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 14:02:10 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"

Reinforced bit in the bottom for digging a good idea or not?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

If you need to wear wellies, I would say the soil is probably too wet for
digging. I only ever wear steel capped work boots to the allotment.

Wellies are for walking in puddles.

Depends what you are digging doesn't it? cleaning out a field ditch
you might have to wait a long time for it to become dry enough to work
without wet feet in anything but wellies. OTOH I agree that a decent
pair of work boots are preferable for most things. In fact in some
cases I would rather wear an old pair and have warm wet feet and
footwear that stays on rather than have wellies that may get pulled
off by suction leaving you balancing on one leg, or worse falling over
and getting completely soaked.

G.Harman
Old 30-12-2011, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 13:33:04 +0000, mogga
wrote:

There was a discussion a while ago about wellies - which made me look
up some to buy but have lost the links.

Desperately need some now (Probably need waders if it keeps raining
though! LOL)

Reinforced bit in the bottom for digging a good idea or not?

I think that garden footwear is one of those variables. Just as we
might use a different spade for different jobs, footwear's the same.

I have two pairs of wellies, one light and one with reinforced sole.
They don't get used that much but now and then they're really
appreciated. That's once or twice a year for concentrated effort.

For most of the time, I prefer slip on "deck shoes" - those blue
canvas things with elastic gussets that are sold as yatching shoes in
some places. These have little tread and, provided you're using a
lipped spade or a thickish fork, don't present a problem to the bottom
of your foot. Little tread means little mud pickup and they're easy to
slip on and off if you need to go indoors. (I tried clog things but
they make my feet sweat and come off too easily.)

In between I use old safety shoes - reinforced toe caps, soles,
chemical resistant stuff (not safety boots) - which have had the tread
worn off (round here they can be found in charity shops). More fuss to
get on and off but they don't collect mud in the worn treads and are
easy to scrape clean.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay
because Santa's delivered a new weather station
so now I'll know how dry it is when it stops raining!
Old 30-12-2011, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
There was a discussion a while ago about wellies - which made me look
up some to buy but have lost the links.

Desperately need some now (Probably need waders if it keeps raining
though! LOL)

Reinforced bit in the bottom for digging a good idea or not?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.ukl

A good idea is probably the answer. When I was working as a surveyor, much
of my time was spent on farmland and wellies were the order of the day.
Issue steel toecaps but no re-inforcement in the instep. I got used to
wearing them, and the only comment I would make would be the steel toecap
"sucked" the heat from your toes.

When retired I bought some green wellies "Hunters" and they were so thin, I
could tell the date on a 5p piece through the sole. I wouldn't recommend
these for digging.

Bill

Old 31-12-2011, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Emery Davis
writes
I really like Le Chameau, they're dear but comfortable and last very
well. I'm nearly 10 years on the current pair.

Huh you need stick shaped legs to get those on !
i use Dunlop, cheap but have a very good grip underneath and a heel. I
find the heel makes my feet less tired at the end of the day but saying
that I normally garden in a pair of Hi-Tech walking boots as they are
wide and comfortable and have a really thick sole and good ankle
support.

The boots are good in long undergrowth or prickly stuff or nettles!!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 31-12-2011, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/31/2011 12:53 PM, Janet Tweedy wrote:
I really like Le Chameau, they're dear but comfortable and last very
well. I'm nearly 10 years on the current pair.

Huh you need stick shaped legs to get those on !

? The ones I use have a strap release at the top, so it's very wide to
get the leg in, then you tighten it over the calf. Not sure which ones
you tried.

The expensive ones they measured my calf, selected the size. It was a
very comfortable boot (leather lined!) but way too dear.
Old 31-12-2011, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 18:58:34 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

A good idea is probably the answer. When I was working as a surveyor, much
of my time was spent on farmland and wellies were the order of the day.
Issue steel toecaps but no re-inforcement in the instep. I got used to
wearing them, and the only comment I would make would be the steel toecap
"sucked" the heat from your toes.

When retired I bought some green wellies "Hunters" and they were so thin, I
could tell the date on a 5p piece through the sole. I wouldn't recommend
these for digging.

I agree that standard Hunter are not up to digging but for years I
have worn Hunter Argyles, the agricultural version which are very
good. They come in full or three quarter knee boot lengths and, from
memory, a lady's fit.
--
rbel
Old 01-01-2012, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Emery Davis
writes
I really like Le Chameau, they're dear but comfortable and last very
well. I'm nearly 10 years on the current pair.

Huh you need stick shaped legs to get those on !
i use Dunlop, cheap but have a very good grip underneath and a heel. I
find the heel makes my feet less tired at the end of the day but saying
that I normally garden in a pair of Hi-Tech walking boots as they are wide
and comfortable and have a really thick sole and good ankle support.

The boots are good in long undergrowth or prickly stuff or nettles!!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Hear! Hear! regarding the old walking boots. My old Hi-Techs went down the
same route.

Bill

Old 01-01-2012, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bill Grey wrote:
Hear! Hear! regarding the old walking boots. My old Hi-Techs went down the
same route.

I got a new pair of Karrimor wellies (black with pink edging) for CHristmas.
Meant to be a present off Nick, but I ended up paying for them myself. :-/
But on the plus side, unlike my other 2 pairs that I have to wear waterproof
sailing socks in, they are not yet letting water in! Yay.

Also bought, slightly unrelatedly (and Nick /did/ buy these for me) a pair
of knee-high boots from Dorothy Perkins in the sale. :-) They may end up
as wellies, the way I tend to wander to the allotment and forget to change
my shoes.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 06:20:18 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

As one who lives in wellies, I go for Nora, they are plastic and
light, no lining, so if they get dirty inside you can wash them out
and dry them. They are not cheap but they are good, I've been wearing
them for over 40 years (No not the same pair)
As I am in them for around 10 hours a day I go for lightness,
If you are worried about diging in them then an old answer to that was
to get a couple of bits of old hose pipe around 3 inches long, slice
down the length and slip them one each side over the top of the blade
of the spade.
If you have old hose around then the cost is nothing and easy to
replace as required.
David

Now there's a thought! THanks -
--