Old 27-01-2012, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Doom and Gloom?

I see the Eggspress is now predicting a month long heavy freeze!
Didn't that paper predict, back in October/November, a winter as bad
as the last?

Maybe it's part of a "rescue Peacocks" campaign - we all need to rush
into the local Peacocks' store and buy all their thermal underwear :-)

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay where
the four seasons are salt,pepper,mustard and vinegar.
Old 27-01-2012, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 27, 12:29*pm, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
I see the Eggspress is now predicting a month long heavy freeze!
Didn't that paper predict, back in October/November, a winter as bad
as the last?

Maybe it's part of a "rescue Peacocks" campaign - we all need to rush
into the local Peacocks' store and buy all their thermal underwear :-)

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay where
the four seasons are salt,pepper,mustard and vinegar.

Come on Jake,
Its almost the end of jan. you dont get winter clothing at this time
of year, it should be all summer stuff now
Old 27-01-2012, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jake
writes
I see the Eggspress is now predicting a month long heavy freeze!
Didn't that paper predict, back in October/November, a winter as bad
as the last?

It does look as if at least some of February is going to be less mild
that the winter has been so far, but a "four-week Siberian freeze" is
rather alarmist.

By the way, on overage last winter was pretty middling, with a ferocious
December, an average January, and a mild February.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 27-01-2012, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/01/2012 12:29, Jake wrote:
I see the Eggspress is now predicting a month long heavy freeze!
Didn't that paper predict, back in October/November, a winter as bad
as the last?

Maybe it's part of a "rescue Peacocks" campaign - we all need to rush
into the local Peacocks' store and buy all their thermal underwear :-)

The Dopey Express has been labouring this point for months, so on
average it might at last get something partially right.

Mind you, for those old enough to remember the winter of 62/63, it
started snowing only at the end of January (at least that was in London,
not sure about elsewhere) with around a couple of feet of snow in
February). And it didn't thaw until well into March.

--

Jeff
Old 27-01-2012, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/27/2012 01:29 PM, Jake wrote:
I see the Eggspress is now predicting a month long heavy freeze!
Didn't that paper predict, back in October/November, a winter as bad
as the last?

Well it sure is nippy right now! Keeping the wood burner going all
day... And last night was the hardest frost we've had this winter so far.

I hope it doesn't, I'm ready for spring.

-E

Old 28-01-2012, 02:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
Maybe it's part of a "rescue Peacocks" campaign - we all need to rush
into the local Peacocks' store and buy all their thermal underwear :-)

Probably not - I've never heard of a Peacock store.

Old 28-01-2012, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jake
writes
I see the Eggspress is now predicting a month long heavy freeze!
Didn't that paper predict, back in October/November, a winter as bad
as the last?

No that was the Met office building on the reputation they established
in April with their forecast of a barbecue summer.

Maybe it's part of a "rescue Peacocks" campaign - we all need to rush
into the local Peacocks' store and buy all their thermal underwear :-)

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay where
the four seasons are salt,pepper,mustard and vinegar.

--
hugh
Old 29-01-2012, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
Maybe it's part of a "rescue Peacocks" campaign - we all need to rush
into the local Peacocks' store and buy all their thermal underwear :-)

Probably not - I've never heard of a Peacock store.

You haven't lived :-)

Many years ago when the two main stores were Woolworths and Peacocks
locally, Peacocks was known asn the "Penny Bazzar" here in Morriston in the
Swansea Valley.

Bill

Old 29-01-2012, 08:30 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
Maybe it's part of a "rescue Peacocks" campaign - we all need to rush
into the local Peacocks' store and buy all their thermal underwear :-)

Probably not - I've never heard of a Peacock store.
Bon Marché is a Peacock store, according to press reports.
__________________
Old 29-01-2012, 08:33 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Can you provide a reference for that? I thought they'd abandoned the publication of long-term forecasts.
__________________

Old 29-01-2012, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 20:30:28 +0000, kay
wrote:

Christina Websell;948602 Wrote:
...-
-
Probably not - I've never heard of a Peacock store.

Bon Marché is a Peacock store, according to press reports.

"Was" is now better than "is". the BM chain has already been sold off
by the administrators.

Peacocks was one of the Welsh success stories and I know a lot of
their (now former) HQ employees as before they moved into their "new"
Headquarters (not that long ago), they rented offices on one of the
commercial estates I manage. It's a real shame. I was always impressed
by the commitment which everyone had to the company and their pride in
the part, however small, they played in its success.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 30-01-2012, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nospam@invalid
says...

wrote:

Christina Websell;948602 Wrote:
"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
...-
Maybe it's part of a "rescue Peacocks" campaign - we all need to rush
into the local Peacocks' store and buy all their thermal underwear :-)
-
Probably not - I've never heard of a Peacock store.

Bon Marché is a Peacock store, according to press reports.

"Was" is now better than "is". the BM chain has already been sold off
by the administrators.

Peacocks was one of the Welsh success stories

When I was a student in Wales the local Peacocks was a favourite shop..
incredibly cheap.

Janet
Old 30-01-2012, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
Peacocks was one of the Welsh success stories

When I was a student in Wales the local Peacocks was a favourite shop..
incredibly cheap.

Was it a particularly Welsh thing? I've certainly seen them in the NW. I
have 1 solitary pair of Peacocks knickers (plain, cotton, navy-ish blue).
Although they may have been lost to the great 'throw the tatty knickers
away' drawer (hoho) clearout last year.
Old 30-01-2012, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Jan 2012 10:53:17 GMT, wrote:

Janet wrote:
Peacocks was one of the Welsh success stories

When I was a student in Wales the local Peacocks was a favourite shop..
incredibly cheap.

Was it a particularly Welsh thing? I've certainly seen them in the NW. I
have 1 solitary pair of Peacocks knickers (plain, cotton, navy-ish blue).
Although they may have been lost to the great 'throw the tatty knickers
away' drawer (hoho) clearout last year.

Not really; originally founded in Warrington but moved to Cardiff in
the 40s. There are over 500 stores in the UK. Then there's the 200
overseas in places like Russia, Malta, Poland, Bahrain and another 16
countries.

Cheers, Jake