Old 28-01-2012, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New lawnmower

I am thinking of treating myself to a new lawnmower. The one thing
that has annoyed me with the current Honda rotary is that it will not
cut the grass at the edges of the lawns. Does anyone know of a
wheeled rotary where the cutting width exceeds the width of the wheel
track? Given the somewhat uneven surface of the lawns I not
particularly keen on a mower with a rear roller which I suppose would
help get around the problem.

--
rbel
Old 28-01-2012, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 28, 3:55*pm, rbel wrote:
I am thinking of treating myself to a new lawnmower. *The one thing
that has annoyed me with the current Honda rotary is that it will not
cut the grass at the edges of the lawns. *Does anyone know of a
wheeled rotary where the cutting width exceeds the width of the wheel
track? *Given the somewhat uneven surface of the lawns I not
particularly keen on a mower with a rear roller which I suppose would
help get around the problem.

--
rbel

I have seen a Bosch that has overhanging fingers that draw the grass
into the blade. Dunno how well it works.
Old 28-01-2012, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote:

On Jan 28, 3:55*pm, rbel wrote:
I am thinking of treating myself to a new lawnmower. *The one thing
that has annoyed me with the current Honda rotary is that it will not
cut the grass at the edges of the lawns. *Does anyone know of a
wheeled rotary where the cutting width exceeds the width of the wheel
track? *Given the somewhat uneven surface of the lawns I not
particularly keen on a mower with a rear roller which I suppose would
help get around the problem.

I have seen a Bosch that has overhanging fingers that draw the grass
into the blade. Dunno how well it works.

I have the Bosch Rotak 34, and find it very manoeuvrable on my
smallish lawns. Seems to manage to get to the edges of even the
curved sections.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 28-01-2012, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 16:28:24 +0000, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

harry wrote:

On Jan 28, 3:55*pm, rbel wrote:
I am thinking of treating myself to a new lawnmower. *The one thing
that has annoyed me with the current Honda rotary is that it will not
cut the grass at the edges of the lawns. *Does anyone know of a
wheeled rotary where the cutting width exceeds the width of the wheel
track?

I have seen a Bosch that has overhanging fingers that draw the grass
into the blade. Dunno how well it works.

I have the Bosch Rotak 34, and find it very manoeuvrable on my
smallish lawns. Seems to manage to get to the edges of even the
curved sections.

Chris

I have a cordless version of that and also find that it cuts to the
edge very well.

G.Harman
Old 28-01-2012, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

harry wrote:

On Jan 28, 3:55*pm, rbel wrote:
I am thinking of treating myself to a new lawnmower. *The one thing
that has annoyed me with the current Honda rotary is that it will not
cut the grass at the edges of the lawns. *Does anyone know of a
wheeled rotary where the cutting width exceeds the width of the wheel
track? *Given the somewhat uneven surface of the lawns I not
particularly keen on a mower with a rear roller which I suppose would
help get around the problem.

I have seen a Bosch that has overhanging fingers that draw the grass
into the blade. Dunno how well it works.

I have the Bosch Rotak 34, and find it very manoeuvrable on my
smallish lawns. Seems to manage to get to the edges of even the
curved sections.

Many thanks for the responses. The Rotaks are certainly an
interesting range and the side 'grass combs' appear to work well
according to the many positive online reviews. Unfortunately the
largest version is not really large enough and they seem to be of the
push type rather than power driven.

--
rbel

Old 29-01-2012, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris J Dixon wrote in
:

I have the Bosch Rotak 34, and find it very manoeuvrable on my
smallish lawns. Seems to manage to get to the edges of even the
curved sections.

Chris

VERY well spelled.(not many people know)
The only thing I ever bought to do the edges is a strimmer with an edger,
and it works. Bit of a faff to make it work, but it works really good.
Thats why I leave it on modeedging.

Baz
Old 30-01-2012, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

rbel wrote in message ...

I am thinking of treating myself to a new lawnmower. The one thing
that has annoyed me with the current Honda rotary is that it will not
cut the grass at the edges of the lawns. Does anyone know of a
wheeled rotary where the cutting width exceeds the width of the wheel
track? Given the somewhat uneven surface of the lawns I not
particularly keen on a mower with a rear roller which I suppose would
help get around the problem.

My lawns are very uneven, but present no problems for my old roller driven
Hayter harrier.

Mike

Old 31-01-2012, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:35:40 -0000, "MuddyMike"
wrote:

rbel wrote in message ...

I am thinking of treating myself to a new lawnmower. The one thing
that has annoyed me with the current Honda rotary is that it will not
cut the grass at the edges of the lawns. Does anyone know of a
wheeled rotary where the cutting width exceeds the width of the wheel
track? Given the somewhat uneven surface of the lawns I not
particularly keen on a mower with a rear roller which I suppose would
help get around the problem.

My lawns are very uneven, but present no problems for my old roller driven
Hayter harrier.

Does it solve the problem of not being able to cut right up to the
edges?
--
rbel
Old 31-01-2012, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

rbel wrote in message ...

I am thinking of treating myself to a new lawnmower. The one thing
that has annoyed me with the current Honda rotary is that it will not
cut the grass at the edges of the lawns. Does anyone know of a
wheeled rotary where the cutting width exceeds the width of the wheel
track? Given the somewhat uneven surface of the lawns I not
particularly keen on a mower with a rear roller which I suppose would
help get around the problem.

My lawns are very uneven, but present no problems for my old roller
driven
Hayter harrier.

Does it solve the problem of not being able to cut right up to the
edges?

Yes, the roller allows the machine to be run along well over the edge.

Mike