Old 30-01-2012, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Stored carrots

My first storage, and cooked some yesterday.
They are hairy and need peeling but the taste and smell of them is out of
this world.
I always thought that storing them would lose flavour. Not so in this lot.
Could be rose tinted glasses but we are very pleased.

Baz
Old 30-01-2012, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote .

My first storage, and cooked some yesterday.
They are hairy and need peeling but the taste and smell of them is out of
this world.
I always thought that storing them would lose flavour. Not so in this lot.
Could be rose tinted glasses but we are very pleased.

As we grow ours in an old water tank we just leave them in and are still
digging nice fresh carrots. They will start to regrow soon so ,as you say,
get hairy but it won't harm the flavour.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 31-01-2012, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote .

My first storage, and cooked some yesterday.
They are hairy and need peeling but the taste and smell of them is out
of this world.
I always thought that storing them would lose flavour. Not so in this
lot. Could be rose tinted glasses but we are very pleased.

As we grow ours in an old water tank we just leave them in and are
still digging nice fresh carrots. They will start to regrow soon so
,as you say, get hairy but it won't harm the flavour.

I dug all mine up in early November as a precaution because the previous
year we had snow snow snow from November onwards and they all rotted to
orange coloured soup!

Baz
Old 01-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Banned

When is the best time to plant and then harvest the carrots for best taste - I have heard baby carrots are nicer. I have always been around friends and family who grow their own veg - but perosnally I am relatively new to it!

Any rough guidelines anyone could give me for planting times, seasons etc.... only got a small garden but I might as well put it to good use!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HerbsHerbsHerbs wrote in
:

When is the best time to plant and then harvest the carrots for best
taste - I have heard baby carrots are nicer. I have always been around
friends and family who grow their own veg - but perosnally I am
relatively new to it!

Any rough guidelines anyone could give me for planting times, seasons
etc.... only got a small garden but I might as well put it to good use!

Rough guideline is to make a barrier to stop or halt the carrot root fly.

Baz