Old 09-02-2012, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Sacha

Hello Sacha,

You asked me to let you know when we might be passing your delightful
establishment. We have finally got around to booking a week's holiday.
We will be staying in Redruth from 14th to 21st May, then staying
overnight in Ashburton at the Dartmouth Lodge, so we hope to call in and
see you on the 22nd May.

We have an interesting agenda, including: Heligan, Rosemoor, Buckland
Monachorum, Burnham (Orchid) Nurseries, hopefully Burncoose Nurseries,
Coleton Fishacre, Lanhydrock, Knighthayes Court. Hope we can fit all
these in! If not, we'll have to try again another year:~).
--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 09-02-2012, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-09 14:43:20 +0000, Spider said:

Hello Sacha,

You asked me to let you know when we might be passing your delightful
establishment. We have finally got around to booking a week's holiday.
We will be staying in Redruth from 14th to 21st May, then staying
overnight in Ashburton at the Dartmouth Lodge, so we hope to call in
and see you on the 22nd May.

We have an interesting agenda, including: Heligan, Rosemoor, Buckland
Monachorum, Burnham (Orchid) Nurseries, hopefully Burncoose Nurseries,
Coleton Fishacre, Lanhydrock, Knighthayes Court. Hope we can fit all
these in! If not, we'll have to try again another year:~).

Fantastic! We'll look forward to seeing you. You forgot to add Wildside
(Thursdays only, I believe)!! That's Keith Wiley's place. It will be
lovely to see you and we'll x fingers for good weather. Wildside is
extremely close to The Garden House, in the same lane, in fact.

Oooh! I'll drop a hint to the chauffer, then. Mustn't miss an
opportunity. Thanks, Sacha.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-09 14:43:20 +0000, Spider said:

Hello Sacha,

[...]

We may even come with you if I can get Ray away. Thursdays are bad days
for us to 'escape'. But we haven't been for a while and would like to
see what he's achieved so far. Afaik the nursery is open all the time
but the garden only on Thursdays. It's worth checking to be sure I'm
right, though. Burnham Orchids are about 15 to 20 minutes from us and we
can explain to you how to get there but if you've got SatNav that will
do it for you! Coleton Fishacre is well worth seeing though I hope the
cannas etc. they got from us have survived the winter by the time you
get there! It's a stunning garden but we haven't seen it for two years.
Another good one is Overbecks, just to add confusion. We love Lanhydrock
- the house always gives the impression that the owners have just
stepped out. And if you get time it's worth visiting Cotehele because
it's so old and so beautiful. Go on a sunny day as there's no electricity.

Oh, that would be lovely if you could escape for a while, but I won't
rely on it. I'll have a Google on Wildside and see what they say about
opening times. RG does have a SatNav (he loves to argue with it), but
I'm sure he'd be glad to hear the 'local' approach to Burnhams.
Hopefully, he won't argue with you the way he does with the "route
recalculation" device!

By the time we see you, we will have visited Lanhydrock and, perhaps,
Cotehele too. I confess I'd forgotton about Overbecks. I'll check that
out and see how we can fit it in. It's going to be a busy trip:~))!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-09 14:43:20 +0000, Spider said:

Hello Sacha,

[...]

At only 3 miles from Redruth on the way back to Truro I was going to suggest
you drop in here for a cuppa but I see from your wish list you would be hard
pressed to fit it all in! But the offer is there if you want to.

Leave plenty of time for Rays greenhouses (I could get lost in there for
days!)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 11-02-2012, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Leave plenty of time for Rays greenhouses (I could get lost in there for
days!)

You and Liz could come up for a very mini-meet! Spider and her OH have
been here once before but it was a good few years ago. We coould
always rope you all together. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Now we are all getting jealous and want to come :-) -10 last night in
the Forest and Chepstow I expect !

kate

Old 11-02-2012, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-09 14:43:20 +0000, Spider said:

Hello Sacha,

[...]

Oh, what a kind offer, Charlie! Thank you. I would certainly love to,
so I'll have to talk nicely to the chauffer again. I won't promise
until we've tweaked the wish list a bit, but I'd love to meet you both
and see your lovely garden. I've seen the 'Gorgeous Gardens' video and
would so much like to see it in person. Your being only 3 miles from
Redruth is hugely convenient. Fingers crossed.

We will certainly find time for Ray's greenhouse, Sacha's tea room and
the plant sales area. I always go on holiday with a couple of empty
plant troughs so I can cram in all my goodies :~)).

Old 11-02-2012, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-11 08:41:38 +0000, "Charlie Pridham"

On 2012-02-09 14:43:20 +0000, Spider said:

Hello Sacha,

[...]

And have us miss the garden at Roselands?! It would be lovely to fit
you both in, but it will be a tight fit.

I have discovered that Wildside won't be open whilst we're away, so
*perhaps* (instead of seeing Wildside together) we could all meet at
Roselands? It's not my place to invite you to Roselands, of course, but
it's a suggestion. Indeed, if Thursday is a difficult day for you and
Ray to escape, perhaps we could meet at Roselands earlier in the week
(when it's easier for you), then still visit you at Hill House on the
Thursday?

For Charlie's benefit, it may help to know that we'll be staying in
Illogan, Redruth.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-11 08:41:38 +0000, "Charlie Pridham"

On 2012-02-09 14:43:20 +0000, Spider said:

Hello Sacha,

[...]

I don't think I'll get him to go 'that far' from home in May. Half a day
over the moor and back is one thing but a whole day?? Tsk! But do go to
Roseland. The plants are mouthwatering and the garden is beautiful and
very imaginative, imo.

Understood. I shall find it quite hard leaving my garden in May! We'll
see how it goes, then. I'll have a chat with RG and see what he thinks
possible. He's plotting everything on a map, I think, so that will make
things clearer. I want to see lots of gardens (as well as allowing RG
to choose a venue), but I love the sociable side of gardening, too, and
chatting with other gardeners, so it's going to take some planning.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-09 14:43:20 +0000, Spider said:

Hello Sacha,

[...]

And you can always tie R to the roof-rack!! ;-)

You're on dangerous territory since you're seeing him in May! ;~). I
could always leave his clothes behind, though, and put some shade plants
in the boot. Mmm ... that would save me some washing when I get home.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-09 14:43:20 +0000, Spider said:

Hello Sacha,

[...]

I'm sure he'd look very fetching in an old compost bag when he runs out
of clean stuff!! Charlie, is Pine Lodge still open to the public, do you
know? We'd heard it was closed, then that it's open and then that it's
closed but if not, that's well worth a visit if possible, I think. But I
really do emphasise Overbecks if possible. It went through a bad patch
but last year, we went again and thought it was well worth it. Spider,
can you not extend your holiday by a couple of days or five?!

:~))! Perhaps I'll just pack a couple of old compost bags instead of
holiday clothes and save myself some trouble:~).

We *may* have been to Pine Lodge previously. If it's the one I think it
is, it's very interesting. I did look up Overbecks but, do you know, I
can't for the life of me remember what I learned :-\. Very sad! I'll
have another look.

As to extending the holiday, I'm sure Richard would but, being the
gardener here, I find a week just about bearable. I'd really miss my
garden and my dear little cats and just my own territory, really.

We'd also be missed by our neighbours. We were away for a couple of
nights last year to attend a funeral. We'd only just arrived at the
wake when my mobile rang. It was Neighbourhood Watch business (we're
coordinators for our road), so I had to deal with that before talking to
relatives. It also had to be the first thing we dealt with when we got
home. It's nice to be needed. Sometimes it's nice to get away.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-11 22:58:35 +0000, Spider said:

On 11/02/2012 18:05, Sacha wrote:
snipI'm sure he'd look very fetching in an old compost bag when he
runs out
of clean stuff!! Charlie, is Pine Lodge still open to the public, do you
know? We'd heard it was closed, then that it's open and then that it's
closed but if not, that's well worth a visit if possible, I think. But I
really do emphasise Overbecks if possible. It went through a bad patch
but last year, we went again and thought it was well worth it. Spider,
can you not extend your holiday by a couple of days or five?!

:~))! Perhaps I'll just pack a couple of old compost bags instead of
holiday clothes and save myself some trouble:~).

We *may* have been to Pine Lodge previously. If it's the one I think
it is, it's very interesting. I did look up Overbecks but, do you
know, I can't for the life of me remember what I learned :-\. Very
sad! I'll have another look.

From what I remember - but my sense of direction is notorious in my
family - it's not far out of Truro. Quite a small house surrounded by a
huge garden and small arboretum - as arboretums go.

Yes, we did go. I'm even looking at their promotional leaflet, which is
stamped "Paid with thanks". The addresss is Holmbush, St. Austell and
it is just off the A390 opposite the turn-off for the A391. I bought a
Tetrapanax papyrifer from them, amongst other things. Heaven help it in
this weather :~(.

As to extending the holiday, I'm sure Richard would but, being the
gardener here, I find a week just about bearable. I'd really miss my
garden and my dear little cats and just my own territory, really.

We'd also be missed by our neighbours. We were away for a couple of
nights last year to attend a funeral. We'd only just arrived at the
wake when my mobile rang. It was Neighbourhood Watch business (we're
coordinators for our road), so I had to deal with that before talking
to relatives. It also had to be the first thing we dealt with when we
got home. It's nice to be needed. Sometimes it's nice to get away.

I must admit that my favourite Neighbourhood Watch notice was seen by me
in Princetown, home of Dartmoor prison. Made sense to me.....but made me
giggle, too!

Quite. It's where a lot of the two-legged rats should go.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-09 14:43:20 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Just to give you something to work on we are "at home" Monday to Friday but
tend to be busy/missing at weekends, its too manic to swan off to Hill House
I am afraid (I am with Ray on that one!) but no problem spare the time for
tea and a chat here, and Illogan is very close, we often take the dog over
that way to Tehidy woods. As you have been to the web site no need to give
you directions!

Old 12-02-2012, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-09 14:43:20 +0000, Spider said:

Hello Sacha,

[...]

Yes its still open, friend of ours is the new head gardener, its changed its
name for some reason to Pinetum, Shirley and Ray Clemo were here last year
buying plants they are starting a new garden near Lanhydroc and Ray is
already buying up fields around to expand it, I think they plan to open in
the next year or two!

Old 13-02-2012, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-09 14:43:20 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

That helps, Charlie. Thank you. We'll definitely make our visit during
the week. Not Monday, though, as we'll be travelling and worn out by
the time we reach Illogan. I'll check your website again for a
telephone number, so we can warn you before we descend on you.

I'm so looking forward to meeting you both, and your dog of course.
Can't wait now! Thanks for popping up and inviting us:~).

Old 15-02-2012, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Spider
writes
then staying
overnight in Ashburton at the Dartmouth Lodge, so we hope to call in
and see you on the 22nd May.

Isn't that the Dartmoor lodge? I seem to recall it when i was looking at
perhaps coming down to Devon sometime.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2009 06:28 AM
Ping Sacha Judith in France United Kingdom 3 17-05-2008 03:51 PM
Ping Sacha judith.lea United Kingdom 18 21-01-2008 04:07 PM
Ping Sacha judith.lea United Kingdom 3 16-10-2007 10:55 PM
Ping Sacha Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 3 26-05-2003 04:20 PM