Old 15-02-2012, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Microsoft now pushing automatic IE upgrades

A while ago I posted a warning that Microsoft were planning to push
automatic upgrades (as opposed to updates) to Internet Explorer via
the Microsoft/Windows Update service. I recall that there was some
discussion following my post and that one or two people were worried
about the consequences. Anyone with Windows Vista or Windows 7 stands
to be upgraded to IE9 and anyone with the XP operating system stands
to get IE8.

There is still a fair number of web sites that don't work with IE9 and
the people that produce some of the assistive technologies say they
are still trying to achieve compatibility. I've had support calls from
people who've upgraded to IE8 and have had to be talked through going
back to IE7 because of problems.

Anyhow, Microsoft are now pushing the auto-upgrades. More info is
available at:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/securitytips...r-browser.aspx

The info includes (if you delve a bit) ways you can prevent the auto
upgrade and the circumstances in which it won't happen anyway.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
A raisin is just a grape with sunburn.
Old 15-02-2012, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote ...

[...]

I have been using IE9 for ages and have only found a problem with Yahoo's
home page so not really a problem then. :-) I just use Crome for yahoo
instead.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-02-2012, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
[...]

Certainly caused me problems with the web site we book mail order in on, it
would not work with IE9 so I changed back, but now I have a site that wants
9 and gives problems on 8, seems you cant win

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 15-02-2012, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 21:23:47 +0000, Jake wrote:

A while ago I posted a warning that Microsoft were planning to push
automatic upgrades (as opposed to updates) to Internet Explorer via the
Microsoft/Windows Update service.

Who gives a ****? Only an idiot would use IE when there are so many
standards-compliant browsers to chose from.
Old 16-02-2012, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 21:23:47 +0000, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

A while ago I posted a warning that Microsoft were planning to push
automatic upgrades (as opposed to updates) to Internet Explorer via
the Microsoft/Windows Update service. I recall that there was some
discussion following my post and that one or two people were worried
about the consequences. Anyone with Windows Vista or Windows 7 stands
to be upgraded to IE9 and anyone with the XP operating system stands
to get IE8.

I had to load IE to find out which version I had and it is IE9. That's
not a problem because I use Chrome.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 16-02-2012, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in
:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/securitytips...02/update-your
-browser.aspx

The info includes (if you delve a bit) ways you can prevent the auto
upgrade and the circumstances in which it won't happen anyway.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
A raisin is just a grape with sunburn.

For that reason and more, I am experimenting with linux, amongst others, on
a couple of old pc's I have.
IMO Windows is becomming far too complicated and intrusive. And Windows
eats RAM before any proggy can get a look in.
Does the average person use the bloated facilities of Windows? I very much
doubt it.

Baz

Old 17-02-2012, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:34:49 GMT, Baz wrote:

[...]

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/securitytips...2/02/update-yo
ur -browser.aspx

The info includes (if you delve a bit) ways you can prevent the auto
upgrade and the circumstances in which it won't happen anyway.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
A raisin is just a grape with sunburn.

For that reason and more, I am experimenting with linux, amongst
others, on a couple of old pc's I have.
IMO Windows is becomming far too complicated and intrusive. And
Windows eats RAM before any proggy can get a look in.
Does the average person use the bloated facilities of Windows? I very
much doubt it.

I tried using Linux for a year and have gone back to using Windows.

This average user wasn't willing to replace peripherals and boards
because they were no longer supported by Linux.

I must admit that I have to use windows to get drivers for network cards
for linux (to get online) but other than that it seems to be flawless
getting drivers for any mobo.

Baz
Old 17-02-2012, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 14:22:53 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
:

I tried using Linux for a year and have gone back to using Windows.

This average user wasn't willing to replace peripherals and boards
because they were no longer supported by Linux.

I must admit that I have to use windows to get drivers for network cards
for linux (to get online) but other than that it seems to be flawless
getting drivers for any mobo.

Baz

It's surprising how many people are just not prepared to think Linux.

In my IT Manager days, I set up a Linux mail server using an old
desktop computer with (wait for it) 128MB of RAM and a 368MB hard
drive! Cost NIL. That mail server happily took care of over 100 staff
and ran for 6 years without ever being turned off for anything. Then a
new Finance Director appeared (he was my boss) and he didn't like
Linux so I was directed to switch to Microsoft Exchange Server and
Outlook. The software cost was nearly £10K and the hardware was about
£40K. I left the place soon after in a huff. Since then the hardware
has broken down on average about once every three months, they've
spent God knows how much on staff training, upgraded the hardware
twice. And in the recession, gone down to about 65 staff.

Moral - if you want to run Linux, don't worry about the latest kit.
Look for something old that someone's recycling (Freecycle or similar)
for free. If it's 386, 486 or 586 (Pentium), it'll run Linux "out of
the skip". And perform better than new kit plus M$ stuff.

If you need drivers, you should be able to go online at your local
library (which will be windoze based of course) and download them
there.

Now back to the strawberries (which are starting to flower !!!!) .....

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 17-02-2012, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in :

I tried using Linux for a year and have gone back to using Windows.

This average user wasn't willing to replace peripherals and boards
because they were no longer supported by Linux.

I must admit that I have to use windows to get drivers for network cards
for linux (to get online) but other than that it seems to be flawless
getting drivers for any mobo.

SUSE Linux supported neither the graphics card I had nor a brand new
Fujitsu display. Worse still a driver was available for the graphics
card that didn't work. I wasted weeks before I realised where the
problem was. Without using something like Wine most of the
applications available are inferior to those available with Windows.

Well, I have not had a bad experience such as yours yet.
I think that there is no need to have new hardware, they are sold to us as suckers.

I am finding it difficult to get software for my proggies for Linux though.

Baz
Old 17-02-2012, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

The problems start when your company works with other companies that
can't read the documents you exchange.
Open Office is not 100% compatible with Ms Office.

Now that is the biggest problem - compatibility.

There must be workarounds but I havn't gone too deep into it all yet, but I
will as soon as I find time.

Baz