Old 16-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Registered User

Default Please help with my Schefflera

I bought a big pot of Schefflera a week ago from the flower market. It is about 1 meter high. I plan to grow it in my flat.

When I bought it, some of the leaves were dark green and some were partially yellow. It does not look healthy to me. In the past few days, the leaves kept on dropping off. When I tried to take off some unhealthy leaves today, half of them dropped off.

I wonder if the plant is ill? Shall I change the soil for it?

I read from the internet that I can plant another pot by taking a branch off from the Schefflera. How could I do this?

Could anyone give me some suggestion please? Thanks a lot!

Here is a picture of the plant:
Attached Thumbnails
Please help with my Schefflera-photo.jpg
Old 17-02-2012, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/02/2012 17:19, rylain wrote:
I bought a big pot of Schefflera a week ago from the flower market. It
is about 1 meter high. I plan to grow it in my flat.

When I bought it, some of the leaves were dark green and some were
partially yellow. It does not look healthy to me. In the past few days,
the leaves kept on dropping off. When I tried to take off some unhealthy
leaves today, half of them dropped off.

I wonder if the plant is ill? Shall I change the soil for it?

I read from the internet that I can plant another pot by taking a branch
off from the Schefflera. How could I do this?

Could anyone give me some suggestion please? Thanks a lot!

Here is a picture of the plant:

|Filename: photo.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14746|

Was the plant outside when you bought it in the flower market? If so,
it may be suffering from getting too cold. As long as the pot didn't
get too cold ( ie as long as the roots didn't get too cold) you should
be ok. Even if the plant loses all its leaves they should grow again.
Even in the most severe case, as long as the roots didn't freeze, the
plant should throw up a new stem or two. Just be patient over the next
2 or 3 months to see how the plant responds to being in a warm room.

--

Jeff
Old 17-02-2012, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 16, 12:19*pm, rylain wrote:
I bought a big pot of Schefflera a week ago from the flower market. It
is about 1 meter high. I plan to grow it in my flat.

When I bought it, some of the leaves were dark green and some were
partially yellow. It does not look healthy to me. In the past few days,
the leaves kept on dropping off. When I tried to take off some unhealthy
leaves today, half of them dropped off.

I wonder if the plant is ill? Shall I change the soil for it?

I read from the internet that I can plant another pot by taking a branch
off from the Schefflera. How could I do this?

Could anyone give me some suggestion please? Thanks a lot!

Here is a picture of the plant:

|Filename: photo.JPG * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14746|

rylain

Newsgroups are a great way to exchange information on topics you enjoy
learning more about.
Old 17-02-2012, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 17, 1:46*pm, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Newsgroups are great for exchanging information--Cindy.
Old 17-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Registered User

Thanks very much for your reply. I was worried about any root rot or disease happened, so I have repotted it. I think I need to be patient for the next few month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post