Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-02-2012, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What's all this about a drought?

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:48:05 +0000, Doghouse Riley
wrote:

The problem is that utility companies sold off by the Conservatives are
now a money making business not a service.

We get more than enough rainfall in the country. The government should
stop dividends paid to shareholders of utility companies until there's
enough reservoir capacity and they've fixed all the leaks. "Simples."

There's so many leaks, many just ignored, that utility companies drop
the water pressure overnight, not because of the reduction in demand but
because the leaks would be more evident than they are, as the pressure
will be greater.

Don't forget Wales is different - most of Wales is covered by a
non-profit company so there are no shareholders. You don't need a
licence or meter to use lawn sprinklers as you do in much of England
and any efficiency savings made in a year are identified and returned
to customers by way of a credit against the next year's bill. No part
of Wales has had a hosepipe ban for over 20 years and in real terms we
pay less today than 10 years ago.

Another reason to be glad I'm Welsh!

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

For those that notice such things - I'm changing my
Usenet provider to News.Individual.NET. It's still me!

dog-gone another drought, only this is a Spring time drought [email protected] Plant Science 5 06-06-2006 06:27 PM
(LONG) Drought likely for 3rd year in Klamath Basin Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 23-02-2003 12:54 AM
Drought and Roses B. Midler Roses 11 15-02-2003 08:15 AM
Drought & more len brauer Permaculture 7 28-01-2003 04:26 PM
Drought Fran Higham Permaculture 2 16-01-2003 11:20 PM