Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default This weekend

"Jake" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 17:00:59 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Thick

fog here. I can see to the end of the Nursery and only a little beyond
that. It ws the same first thing this morning and then we had a really
brilliant day until about 4-ish when the fog rolled in while the
Grandson was 'helping' me clean out the chickens! It's got a lot
colder, too.

Luvly sunny day at the east of Swansea Bay. Currently edging up
towards 17C here.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

Sunday, temperature a mere 6deg.C in the shade and a bit nippy!

I've planted some spuds in containers - am I too soon? I shelter them if any
signs of frost though.

Bill (half way between Jake and Dave)

Old 04-03-2012, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 11:53:01 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

Sunday, temperature a mere 6deg.C in the shade and a bit nippy!

I've planted some spuds in containers - am I too soon? I shelter them if any
signs of frost though.

Bill (half way between Jake and Dave)

It's a lot colder here today as well and there's a real wind-chill
factor. I think Friday was a bit of an aberration. The temp dropped to
normal yesterday and like around you, it's definitely pullover weather
today even though the sun's out most of the time.

It's not too early to plant spuds and frost won't generally damage
what's underground though it can kill the young shoots. If they're
poking through the top of the compost in your containers, add a bit
more compost to keep them just covered. I guess there will still be a
fair bit of space between the compost level and the top of your
buckets so a bit of added protection would be to drape a couple of
layers of fleece over the top of the containers if frost is expected.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
thought this was the sort of thing you were talking about.....
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/car-boot-liners-mats/
http://www.boot-buddy.com/
http://www.carbootliners.com/

Well it's kind of e the middle bootliner but this is it
Load liner
Injection moulded load liner that protects the load area
very strong and flexible and scuff and waterproof!

http://tinyurl.com/7g6p5pe

The others either have soft middles or have soft sides whereas this is
like a premoulded boot in plastic, it's been brilliant for carrying
plants, dogs, composts and gardening tools

Shame they don't do a size that covers the back when the seats are down
as well!
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 04-03-2012, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bill Grey
writes
Sunday, temperature a mere 6deg.C in the shade and a bit nippy!

I've planted some spuds in containers - am I too soon? I shelter them if any
signs of frost though.

Bill (half way between Jake and Dave)

Snowing in Amersham at 14.00
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 04-03-2012, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Bill Grey
writes
Sunday, temperature a mere 6deg.C in the shade and a bit nippy!

I've planted some spuds in containers - am I too soon? I shelter them if
any
signs of frost though.

Bill (half way between Jake and Dave)

Snowing in Amersham at 14.00
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Snow in with the rain here at 1330

Mike

Old 04-03-2012, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:

for being
bought by people who were overendowed with money but underendowed
with intelligence.

Ah well got it brand new at discount as son then worked for Volvo HQ
so not definitely NOT overendowed with money. (One reason not to buy a
new car!!

Remember that the customer is the commodity, and cases that fall
into the noise (like you) are completely ignored when taking any
major decision.

Needed something very safe so Tom not worried when i was out in it.

Hmm. Did you actually investigate whether they were any safer, or
were merely claimed to be by people with an interest in doing so?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote .

Janet Tweedy wrote:

for being
bought by people who were overendowed with money but underendowed
with intelligence.

Ah well got it brand new at discount as son then worked for Volvo HQ
so not definitely NOT overendowed with money. (One reason not to buy a
new car!!

Remember that the customer is the commodity, and cases that fall
into the noise (like you) are completely ignored when taking any
major decision.

Needed something very safe so Tom not worried when i was out in it.

Hmm. Did you actually investigate whether they were any safer, or
were merely claimed to be by people with an interest in doing so?

Always interesting to check the actual crash test results if looking for a
"safe" car ....

http://www.euroncap.com/small_off_road_4_4.aspx

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
Nick wrote .

Hmm. Did you actually investigate whether they were any safer, or
were merely claimed to be by people with an interest in doing so?

Always interesting to check the actual crash test results if looking for a
"safe" car ....

True, but whether they are likely to get you into a crash is FAR
more important! At one stage, Volvos had a very bad reputation
for that, due to a tendency to lose control under poor conditions.
And it wasn't just the incompetence of the drivers, though that
didn't exactly help ....

However, that was decades back. What the recent situation is, I
haven't a clue.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jake. BTW my "buckets" are brand new black plastic dust bins :-)

Bill

Old 04-03-2012, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:
"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

I'm looking at purchasing a Volvo, anything good or bad to say about
it?

Spare parts are hideously expensive

Find a good garage to repair it if nything goes wrong, main dealer
garages
charge about double what a decent garage will, though you would still get
Volvo spares.

I recently had a quote for a HUGE service plus a new timing belt. The
quote
was for over £700. A reputable private garage did the job using genuine
Volvo parts for £315. makes you wonder!

Until recently, the make had a well-justified reputation for being
bought by people who were overendowed with money but underendowed
with intelligence. They charged those ridiculous values because
their customers were happy to pay them, using the monetarist belief
that, if you pay more to a profit-making enterprise, you get better
value. Yes, I know that sounds like lefty lunacy, but it's quite
true - I was told precisely that by some proud Volvo owners.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Quite an observation Nick :-)

I needed an Estate as I was showing two Labradors {you /must/ have a Volvo
if you have Labs :^) }.

When I had a bit of whinge about the cost of one item, the chap at the Volvo
garage said "That's the privilege of owning a Volvo "

BTW I am neither of low intelligence not overloaded with cash :-)

Bill

Old 04-03-2012, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:
Needed something very safe so Tom not worried when i was out in it.

Hmm. Did you actually investigate whether they were any safer, or
were merely claimed to be by people with an interest in doing so?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Locally there was a very high profile case in the press regarding a head on
collision between a Volvo Sestate and another car which was driven by some
"joy-riders". The joy-riders were killed but the occupants of the Volvo,
whilst injured, survived. It was the solid build of the Volvo that was
accredited with their survival.. The Volvo was badly damaged though.

Bill

Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/04/2012 06:07 PM, Bill Grey wrote:
When I had a bit of whinge about the cost of one item, the chap at the Volvo
garage said "That's the privilege of owning a Volvo "

Certainly one of the dangers of the car. Although as I mentioned
quality is apparently improved.

BTW I am neither of low intelligence not overloaded with cash:-)

Heh, that was my line.