Old 04-03-2012, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default This weekend

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 03/04/2012 06:07 PM, Bill Grey wrote:
When I had a bit of whinge about the cost of one item, the chap at the
Volvo
garage said "That's the privilege of owning a Volvo "

Certainly one of the dangers of the car. Although as I mentioned quality
is apparently improved.

BTW I am neither of low intelligence not overloaded with cash:-)

Heh, that was my line.

Sorry! The correct identity of the poster was lost in an effort to snip .
So many quotes confused things. Thanks for the smiley :-)

Bill

Old 04-03-2012, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
Nick wrote .

Hmm. Did you actually investigate whether they were any safer, or
were merely claimed to be by people with an interest in doing so?

Always interesting to check the actual crash test results if looking for a
"safe" car ....

True, but whether they are likely to get you into a crash is FAR
more important! At one stage, Volvos had a very bad reputation
for that, due to a tendency to lose control under poor conditions.
And it wasn't just the incompetence of the drivers, though that
didn't exactly help ....

However, that was decades back. What the recent situation is, I
haven't a clue.

That is the old and continuing argument, do you want a safe car to crash in
or one that is so nimble it avoids the crash in the first place.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

Hmm. Did you actually investigate whether they were any safer, or
were merely claimed to be by people with an interest in doing so?

Always interesting to check the actual crash test results if looking for a
"safe" car ....

True, but whether they are likely to get you into a crash is FAR
more important! At one stage, Volvos had a very bad reputation
for that, due to a tendency to lose control under poor conditions.
And it wasn't just the incompetence of the drivers, though that
didn't exactly help ....

However, that was decades back. What the recent situation is, I
haven't a clue.

That is the old and continuing argument, do you want a safe car to crash in
or one that is so nimble it avoids the crash in the first place.

No, not at all. The situation was that they actually caused the
crashes, by being so unforgiving that most drivers couldn't keep
them on the road, and so they needed the safety features merely
to be no more dangerous than other cars!

Nimbleness had nothing to do with it - quite the contrary, in fact,
because it was instability that caused the trouble,

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/05/2012 12:05 AM, Bill Grey wrote:
BTW I am neither of low intelligence not overloaded with cash:-)

Heh, that was my line.

Sorry! The correct identity of the poster was lost in an effort to snip .
So many quotes confused things. Thanks for the smiley :-)

No, you had the attribution right. It was that your response echoed my
sentiments.

cheers,

-E