Old 09-03-2012, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bargin of the year?

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 23:22:50 -0000, "Kathy" wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 01:11:58 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

On Mar 7, 11:20 pm, "Kathy" wrote:
I work for a charity shop. We are allowed to buy donated goods as
long
as
someone else prices them.
My boss, who doesn't garden beyond the mow the lawn/weed the boarder
point,
told me we had had a donation of "some" plant labels. She thought
there
were too many for us to sell, so would I like some of them? Of
course,
said yes.

They are brand new, wood, good quality, 6 inches long and 1/2 an inch
wide.
I have 404 [yes, four hundred and four] of them.
.
.
.
.
.

For £1.50 :-}}

--
Kathy

I suppose the next thing is you'll be on Antiques Road Show or Flog it
and they will turn out to be hand carved by Chipendale and worth a few
hundred pounds each.

and the original owner will turn up shouting that the charity has been
robbed.
--

I dislike the idea that charity workers can get the best things from the
charity shop before the public even sees it.

We pay for them, so what's unethical?

You don't pay the real price.

I pay the price put on it by someone else. I cannot see what your point is
here. Are you going to moan about supermarket workers who get a discount so
don't pay the "real" price? Thought not. This is beginning to sound like a
bad case of sour grapes.

--
Kathy

Old 09-03-2012, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
On 09/03/2012 09:03, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 23:22:50 -0000, wrote:

"Christina wrote in
message

wrote:

On Mar 7, 11:20 pm, wrote:
[...]

No one pays the real price in a charity shop. The goods are second hand
and therefore at a lower value. That's part of the double-ended
attraction: the charity gets stock for free, the customers get a bargain.
That's the way it works, and it works well. If good people like Kathy are
prepared to work for a low wage to help the charity, then I'm glad they're
able to occasionally enjoy the odd incentive. Kathy did not set the price
she paid .. she even quibbled for a higher price .. so in no sense did she
rob the charity, or would ever do so. The suggestion is outrageous and
insulting. I very much hope she enjoys using every one of her labels.

Thank you Spider, I'm glad someone understood that someone else priced them.
I certainly shall enjoy using them, as they are much wider than the plastic
ones I have at the moment.

--
Kathy

Old 09-03-2012, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Baz
writes
Would you go into M&S shopping for a dress and say 'no, I want to pay
more'?
Different thing bragging about it on TV though.

No I mean the people who know that the item has been put on sale at a
seriously low price as the seller is unaware of its real market value. M
& s know their values as would say an art gallery or something. I have
been known to point out to someone that the items is incorrectly priced
but that's because i personally wouldn't feel I'd won an award by
outwitting a genuine mistake !
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Judith in France writes
In general, the public would not offer more,

I have bought a shirt from a shop for a western style evening, wore it
once, washed and pressed it and donated it back and i have also said
keep the change for some items, I think it boils down to what actions
one is comfortable living with.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 19:48:44 -0000, "Kathy" wrote:

. ..

wrote:

On Mar 7, 11:20 pm, "Kathy" wrote:
[...]

When you work in a charity shop you are in a position of trust, if you
buy something knowing that the pricing is wrong you should say so.
It has nothing to do with sour grapes it is about honesty and staff
cheating a charity out of income.

How many times do I have to say it - I TOLD HER THEY WERE TOO CHEAP AND SHE
SAID THAT WAS THE PRICE SHE WANTED FOR THEM. They would have gone into the
shop at that price . Got it now?

--
Kathy

Old 09-03-2012, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-03-09 22:33:33 +0000, Martin said:

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 19:48:44 -0000, "Kathy" wrote:

snip

I pay the price put on it by someone else. I cannot see what your point
is
here. Are you going to moan about supermarket workers who get a
discount so
don't pay the "real" price? Thought not. This is beginning to sound
like a
bad case of sour grapes.

When you work in a charity shop you are in a position of trust, if you
buy something knowing that the pricing is wrong you should say so.
It has nothing to do with sour grapes it is about honesty and staff
cheating a charity out of income.

The word 'honesty' shouldn't even appear here because you did not read her
earlier post, obviously. She offered to pay more and the offer was
refused by the person who priced the labels and was in charge of the
pricing. They wanted rid of *some* of the labels to make room, put a
price on them and a higher payment, suggested BY THE BUYER, Kathy, was
refused. This is turning into something quite ridiculous, given its place
in the scheme of things but it's also very unkind and has arisen because
people have not read the thread correctly.

I do wonder, Sacha, that if I had just posted that I got them in a charity
shop, without mentioning that I work there, if I would have got the same
reaction. Somehow I doubt it.

Ann told me today that the official handing over of the tenancy of the
lottie plot takes place at the end of the month. I'm quite looking forward
to it :-}

--
Kathy

Old 10-03-2012, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Mar 7, 11:20 pm, "Kathy" wrote:
I work for a charity shop. We are allowed to buy donated goods as
long as
someone else prices them.
My boss, who doesn't garden beyond the mow the lawn/weed the boarder
point,
told me we had had a donation of "some" plant labels. She thought
there
were too many for us to sell, so would I like some of them? Of
course, I
[...]

Oh, come on. you know they are worth more You are robbing your charity.
I would be ashamed to do it.

The price put on an item by the shop owner is an invitation for the
purchaser to offer. The owner is not required to sell at that price if
he/she doesn't want to.
If the purchser makes an offer and the owner accepts, then a contract has
ben made. In this case the purchaser is at liberty to offer a sensible
amount if his/her concience allows.
In the case of a charity shop, if the purchaser knows the price of an item
is ridculously low, it would not be too unreasonable for him/her to offer a
more realistic amount.

Charity will hve been observed and concience appeased.

Bill

Old 10-03-2012, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Mar 7, 11:20 pm, "Kathy" wrote:
[...]

I think there is a basic confusion of "price" and "value"

Bill

Old 10-03-2012, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 19:48:44 -0000, "Kathy" wrote:

. ..

wrote:

On Mar 7, 11:20 pm, "Kathy" wrote:
[...]

Martin , Kathy /did/ tell the shop that the price was too low.

quote "I know they are worth more. I *told* her they are worth more"
unquote/

Bill

Bill

Old 11-03-2012, 02:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Mar 7, 11:20 pm, "Kathy" wrote:
[...]

no, it's the idea that the volunteers get the best things for next to
nothing before anyone sees them. It really ticks me off.
There should be a law about charity shop workers creaming the best off for
themselves.

--
Kathy

Old 11-03-2012, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

no, it's the idea that the volunteers get the best things for *next to
nothing before anyone sees them. *It really ticks me off.
There should be a law about charity shop workers creaming the best off for
themselves.

Wow!!!
Just what we need more laws.
For Gods sake grow up.
There are hundreds of people who give their time for nothing to help
charities often several hundred hours a year,
Of these I doubt if one in a thousand ever get any "Great" finds, I
think you will find that far more dealers who "Raid" the shops first
thing in the morning and grab underpriced objects as"Their spoils" and
who don't say a thing about it to the charity, after all they are just
making a living, and if some poor fool in a charity shop doesn't know
the worth of something then it's just to bad.
So do we also have a law to prevent this sort of profitering, then
there are those who under price things at car boot sales, where do we
stop?
I say again Grow Up
Old 11-03-2012, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Barging of the year?

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

[...]

Well said David

I have been watching this saga in awe.

What a load of cr*' some of you write.

Mike
Now pick the bones out of that those of you who love to have a go at me.
(Yes I know you don't read my postings .........................
................................. much)

Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

no, it's the idea that the volunteers get the best things

That much is true, because they see them first, and that's a perk of the
job (the only one AFAICS)

for next to nothing before anyone sees them.

But that isn't true. They pay the same price as the public would.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Mar 7, 11:20 pm, "Kathy" wrote:
[...]

......not forgetting , of course, that the items could have been taking up
valuable shelf space for days which would make your assumption that no-one
else had seen them before the volunteer.

The only thing that seems to ticking is your jealousy.

Bill