Old 19-03-2012, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Russian vine in a container?

Id like something to cover a strong trellis while I'm waiting for my
clematis to do start picking up speed. If I plant a Russian vine in a
cntainer, will that limit it's ability to spread its roots to areas where
it's not welcome? By what method do these plants spread in unwanted ways so
that they become hard to eradicate? Is it via runners or what?

Thank you,

Jim
Old 19-03-2012, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Mar 2012 16:27:48 GMT, Jim xzy wrote:

Id like something to cover a strong trellis while I'm waiting for my
clematis to do start picking up speed. If I plant a Russian vine in a
cntainer, will that limit it's ability to spread its roots to areas where
it's not welcome? By what method do these plants spread in unwanted ways so
that they become hard to eradicate? Is it via runners or what?

Thank you,

Jim

The main problem is that whatever you grow it in, the Russian Vine
will swamp your clematis which won't stand a chance. Patience is often
a real virtue in gardening. Anyhow, if you choose the right clematis
you'll be surprised how fast it will grow!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 19-03-2012, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, 19 March 2012 16:27:48 UTC, Jim xzy wrote:
Id like something to cover a strong trellis while I'm waiting for my
clematis to do start picking up speed. If I plant a Russian vine in a
cntainer, will that limit it's ability to spread its roots to areas where
it's not welcome? By what method do these plants spread in unwanted ways so
that they become hard to eradicate? Is it via runners or what?

Thank you,

Jim

I'd do Sweet Peas, cheaper, easier to get rid of, quicker results and it's not Russian Vine.

Rod
Old 20-03-2012, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rod wrote in

I'd do Sweet Peas, cheaper, easier to get rid of, quicker results and
it's not Russian Vine.

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't found a variety of sweet pea that
grows tall enough; I need something that grows 12 ft at least.

Jim

Old 20-03-2012, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Mar 20, 1:10*pm, Jim xzy wrote:
Rod wrote innews:27474332.616.1332183784803.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbhz5:

I'd do Sweet Peas, cheaper, easier to get rid of, quicker results and
it's not Russian Vine.

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't found a variety of sweet pea that
grows tall enough; I need something that grows 12 ft at least.

Jim

I remember planting a Russian vine to cover a couple of old Pig Sties,
it was year 4 before it decided to put on any real growth, just around
6 ft in the first 3 years,

Russian Vine - can it be killed off? ADH United Kingdom 3 10-06-2006 02:07 AM
Wintering a Russian Sage in a container Audrey Gardening 4 30-12-2005 12:25 AM
Russian Vine Capt T United Kingdom 4 29-07-2005 01:06 PM
Growth habit of Clematis armandii (was Russian Vine (Polygonum baldschuanicum)) Hussein M. United Kingdom 0 10-04-2003 12:20 AM
Russian Vine (Polygonum baldschuanicum) iamhere United Kingdom 15 09-04-2003 06:56 PM