Old 17-04-2012, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I bought a magazine today

for 3.99 that gave me free seeds from T&M, two types of courgette, patty pan
and two different pumpkins.
It would have cost me far more to buy the seeds.
I will try them out on the mound that the digger made, but I will insert
some chicken manure in there.

Old 18-04-2012, 07:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 17, 10:34*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
for 3.99 that gave me free seeds from T&M, two types of courgette, patty pan
and two different pumpkins.
It would have cost me far more to buy the seeds.
I will try them out on the mound that the digger made, but I will insert
some chicken manure in there.

It just shows what robbers T&M really are and the true cost of these
seeds.
I save as many of my own seed as I can.
Old 18-04-2012, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

for 3.99 that gave me free seeds from T&M, two types of courgette,
patty pan and two different pumpkins.
It would have cost me far more to buy the seeds.
I will try them out on the mound that the digger made, but I will
insert some chicken manure in there.

I am trying courgettes this year, if I can get into the garden that is.

Baz
Old 18-04-2012, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

for 3.99 that gave me free seeds from T&M, two types of courgette,
patty pan and two different pumpkins.
It would have cost me far more to buy the seeds.
I will try them out on the mound that the digger made, but I will
insert some chicken manure in there.

I am trying courgettes this year, if I can get into the garden that is.

Baz

I basically got a free magazine, the cost of the free seeds if I had bought
each separately far exceeded 3.99.
I only tried courgettes once, but they didn't do well in my shady garden at
home. The open aspect of my paddock should suit them far better.
Hope you can soon get on your garden again.

Old 19-04-2012, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Christina Websell
writes
I basically got a free magazine, the cost of the free seeds if I had bought
each separately far exceeded 3.99.
I only tried courgettes once, but they didn't do well in my shady garden at
home. The open aspect of my paddock should suit them far better.
Hope you can soon get on your garden again.

I assume that's Amateur Gardening which if you subscribe is a hell of a
lot cheaper. I enjoy it as (because it's weekly) it's always fairly
relevant, and though it has a lot of stuff for beginners there's always
one or two articles that are in depth stuff and I quite enjoy the 'news'
pages = this week they were talking about the fact that it 'might' be
certain types of chemical sprays that are killing off the queen bees.
Oh well, I like it, I get that, the Which gardening and also The garden
from the RHS and read my friend's very posh glossy English Garden when i
dog sit for her That last one is so over the top and so not of my
world with suggestions for phenomenally expensive art in the garden or
'shabby chic' (huh) ornaments and /or chairs garden seats etc. However
each one has never had NO pages that i find interesting (IYSWIM)
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 19-04-2012, 01:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
[...]

No, it's not Amateur Gardening, it's called "Grow It" I've never seen it
before, and TBH I only bought it for the free seeds that I realised far
exceeded the cost of the magazine, but the reading in it was good too. They
also told you the best way to grow your free seeds and lots of good advice
about courgettes (two varieties in the free seed packet, one long, one
round) I will grow the patty pans too, but might duck the pumpkins.
Tina

Old 19-04-2012, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 19, 1:30*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
[...]

Tina- Hide quoted text -

Pumpkins are not very useful.
Old 19-04-2012, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 01:30:50 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

No, it's not Amateur Gardening, it's called "Grow It" I've never seen it
before, and TBH I only bought it for the free seeds that I realised far
exceeded the cost of the magazine, but the reading in it was good too. They
also told you the best way to grow your free seeds and lots of good advice
about courgettes (two varieties in the free seed packet, one long, one
round) I will grow the patty pans too, but might duck the pumpkins.
Tina

Just looked it up on the web (http://growitmag.com) as I'd never heard
of it either. The June issue (which is strangely the supposedly
"current" one) has 2 varieties each of beetroot and carrots and one of
parsnips. There seems to be a 5-variety giveaway with every issue;
astonishingly good value. If there's a downside it's that I find T&M
seeds to be very "variable" when it comes to germination rate.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 19-04-2012, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article efc57a1c-0e00-43c7-9944-a4293bba2e12
@g38g2000yqh.googlegroups.com, says...

Pumpkins are not very useful.

They are to cooks :-) I love pumpkin pie.

Janet
Old 19-04-2012, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

wrote:

[...]

I'm wondering about the expiry date on the seed packet and whether these
bargains are being offloaded because they are nearing retirement?

Janet

Old 19-04-2012, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote:

Just looked it up on the web (http://growitmag.com) as I'd never heard
of it either. The June issue (which is strangely the supposedly
"current" one)

Many magazine across the board have reached this curious
position.

Over the years competing titles have gradually brought their
publication dates forward, presumably in an attempt to capture
the market. Naturally there is retaliation, and so it continues.

We now seem to have reached the stage where they reach the shops
two months earlier than that on the cover. It is only a matter of
time, or the realisation of the absurdity of it all, that is
stopping them from passing the next month barrier.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 19-04-2012, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:06:03 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Jake wrote:

Just looked it up on the web (http://growitmag.com) as I'd never heard
of it either. The June issue (which is strangely the supposedly
"current" one)

Many magazine across the board have reached this curious
position.

Over the years competing titles have gradually brought their
publication dates forward, presumably in an attempt to capture
the market. Naturally there is retaliation, and so it continues.

We now seem to have reached the stage where they reach the shops
two months earlier than that on the cover. It is only a matter of
time, or the realisation of the absurdity of it all, that is
stopping them from passing the next month barrier.

Chris

I just get very confused when I read my November 2013 copy of
Gardeners World Magazine which contains the advert for the 2011
Chelsea Flower Show next week.

I often wonder whether the "things to do this month" section relates
to the month in which the magazine reaches me, the month printed on
the cover or three months earlier when the article was written.

Must dash. Off to buy the Christmas tree.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 19-04-2012, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:49:13 +0100, Janet wrote:

I'm wondering about the expiry date on the seed packet and whether these
bargains are being offloaded because they are nearing retirement?

Janet

The packs that come with Amateur Gardening are generally sow by two
years later. Can't speak for "Grow It".

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 19-04-2012, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris J Dixon wrote in
:

Jake wrote:

Just looked it up on the web (http://growitmag.com) as I'd never heard
of it either. The June issue (which is strangely the supposedly
"current" one)

Many magazine across the board have reached this curious
position.

Over the years competing titles have gradually brought their
publication dates forward, presumably in an attempt to capture
the market. Naturally there is retaliation, and so it continues.

We now seem to have reached the stage where they reach the shops
two months earlier than that on the cover. It is only a matter of
time, or the realisation of the absurdity of it all, that is
stopping them from passing the next month barrier.

Chris

You seem to have hit the nail on the head.
In the case of gardening mags, there cannot be any current issues, because
they are months old? Be first at the press and bugger what the consumer
needs!

Having said that I have seen mags with freebies which pay for the mag,
which has already been said, but thought it important to repeat.

Baz
Old 19-04-2012, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

wrote:

Jake wrote:

[...]

al-Qaeda monthly on how to trim a beard without removing the head is out
too.
Happy Christmas, Jake

Baz

bought it today ... e+d[_2_] Garden Photos 0 27-06-2009 12:09 PM
Bought some J Arthur Bower's Farm Manure compost today MM United Kingdom 1 28-03-2005 06:15 PM
Coalition of the Bought Otto Bahn North Carolina 80 09-05-2003 08:20 PM
I bought 4 cheapies Jane Roses 2 16-03-2003 05:44 PM
store bought bio filters Tim Wardell Ponds 4 02-03-2003 03:03 PM