Old 27-04-2012, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Which weeds should NOT be composted?

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
Of that list I do not compost Couch Grass (twitch) as I have seen it
survive composting and ruin a heap by growing through it.
Bindweed can survive so I don't compost that either.

Beechgrove last night warned that you shouldn't put Japanese Knotweed in
the green bin as it's illegal though this might just apply to Scotland.
You have only one recourse, kill it, let it dry and burn it.
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 27-04-2012, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote in
:

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
Of that list I do not compost Couch Grass (twitch) as I have seen it
survive composting and ruin a heap by growing through it.
Bindweed can survive so I don't compost that either.

Beechgrove last night warned that you shouldn't put Japanese Knotweed in
the green bin as it's illegal though this might just apply to Scotland.
You have only one recourse, kill it, let it dry and burn it.

Janet, how do you kill it? If it was easy, or even difficult, there would
not be such a commotion about it. From what I have read it cannot be
erradicated. Touch wood and fingers crossed there are no instances of it in
our neck of the woods.
Beechgrove is THE best gardening tv. programme IMO. I love it. The
presenters aren't chosen for their looks, celebrity status or the crud, but
are genuine enthusiasts, well thats what I think. Just wish they would
branch out and have seperate proggies for vegetables and flowers/bulbs.

Good luck
Baz
Old 27-04-2012, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/04/2012 13:08, Baz wrote:
Janet wrote in
:

In , Bob Hobden
writes
Of that list I do not compost Couch Grass (twitch) as I have seen it
survive composting and ruin a heap by growing through it.
Bindweed can survive so I don't compost that either.

Beechgrove last night warned that you shouldn't put Japanese Knotweed in
the green bin as it's illegal though this might just apply to Scotland.
You have only one recourse, kill it, let it dry and burn it.

Janet, how do you kill it? If it was easy, or even difficult, there would
not be such a commotion about it. From what I have read it cannot be
erradicated. Touch wood and fingers crossed there are no instances of it in
our neck of the woods.

I don't think it is quite as bad as sometimes portayed unless you have a
huge area of it. Then the cost of treatment mounts up rapidly.

It was once grown as a quite pretty ornamental in Victorian gardens and
there was some growing in a largish garden near where I grew up. ISTR
that rosebay willow herb and equisetum was a worse problem there. (weeds
that vary in vigour with soil type/location)

Hit with glyphosate, some other industrial licensed weedkiller and dug
out there is no trace of it now and the land has since been redeveloped.

I don't doubt the stuff is a real nightmare in the wrong place, it does
regrow rapidly from every small piece of rhizome you miss and the new
shoots will penetrate tarmac and thin concrete paths. But it needs to
see light to grow and you can win by attrition eventually.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 27-04-2012, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Janet Tweedy wrote in
:
Beechgrove last night warned that you shouldn't put Japanese Knotweed in
the green bin as it's illegal though this might just apply to Scotland.

Conrol of knotweed legislation is nationwide.

http://www.knotweed-uk.com/Knotweed-and-The-Law.htm

"Environmental Protection Act (EPA) 1990 controlled waste, must be
disposed of at appropriately licensed landfills. Japanese knotweed plant
material and/or any knotweed contaminated soil which you discard, intend
to discard or are required to discharge is likely to be classified as
controlled waste.Section 34 of the EPA imposes a duty of care on persons
who produce, import, dispose of, or treat controlled wastes. The movement
off site of controlled waste must be covered by a waste transfer notes.
The transfer notes must be completed and signed, giving a written
description of the waste and a waste code. This description must be
comprehensive enough to allow the receiver of the waste to handle it in
accordance with their own duty of care. These provisions are set up in the
Environmental Protection (Duty of Care) Regulations 1991.
Section 33 of the EPA states that it is an offence to deposit, treat, keep
or dispose of controlled waste with out a licence."

You have only one recourse, kill it, let it dry and burn it.

Janet, how do you kill it? If it was easy, or even difficult, there would
not be such a commotion about it. From what I have read it cannot be
erradicated.

You're wrong, again.

There are several methods of eradication, but because of the extent and
persistence of the roots, weedkillers may need to be repeated for several
seasons.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...fe/118135.aspx

Janet.
Old 27-04-2012, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Baz
writes
Janet, how do you kill it? If it was easy, or even difficult, there would
not be such a commotion about it. From what I have read it cannot be
erradicated. Touch wood and fingers crossed there are no instances of it in
our neck of the woods.

Well last programme they cut back the stems and filled them with a
solution of roundup and said to do that spring and autumn for 3 years
BUT, what i was referring to was that you couldn't put the stems in the
bin, you HAD to burn them you could not let them off your property
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 27-04-2012, 09:17 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

You can take it to a waste site that accepts noxious weeds. O you can leave it to grow providing you don't let it spread further than your land.

Environment Agency - Japanese knotweed
__________________
Old 28-04-2012, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 Chris wrote:

Which weeds should NOT be composted?
Thistles?
Dandelions?
Couch grass?
Is there a list of what is OK?

What about fat hen (Chenopodium album)? I know it's only an annual but
it's darned difficult to eradicate.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 28-04-2012, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote in
:

Janet, how do you kill it? If it was easy, or even difficult, there
would not be such a commotion about it. From what I have read it
cannot be erradicated.

You're wrong, again.

So then, I have not read it?

You, although being an expert on every subject, cannot possibly know!

Baz (who has not switched off the electricity)
Old 28-04-2012, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 Chris wrote:

Which weeds should NOT be composted?
Thistles?
Dandelions?
Couch grass?
Is there a list of what is OK?

What about fat hen (Chenopodium album)? I know it's only an annual but
it's darned difficult to eradicate.

David

I find fat hen a very pleasant weed. It's good to throw into the chicken
run (hence the name) and it can be eaten as a substitute for spinach.

Tina

Old 30-04-2012, 01:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
Where can you buy a pipette like they used in the programme?

http://www.plumeria2u.co.uk/graduate...-packet-p-1892
..html?zenid=05b0aa11ef27c379c92d51a0773fd2d9

Http://uk.mt.com/gb/en/home/products..._pipettes.html

or even one of those turkey basters used to pour juices over cooking
turkey Martin,

or ones that you use for dosing pets such as cats or dogs.
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 30-04-2012, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 01:00:51 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

http://www.plumeria2u.co.uk/graduate...-packet-p-1892
.html?zenid=05b0aa11ef27c379c92d51a0773fd2d9

Thanks, Janet.

Plastic syringes can be bought from any chemists shop or vet.

Janet