Old 05-05-2012, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lovely weather for brocolli

I gave up and netted them against the pigeons, the cold dealt with
most of the whitefly, and the cool, wet conditions mean that they
are cropping well, and not all at once!

Almost everything else is sulking, or growing very slowly, of course :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Baz wrote:

I gave up and netted them against the pigeons, the cold dealt with
most of the whitefly, and the cool, wet conditions mean that they
are cropping well, and not all at once!

Almost everything else is sulking, or growing very slowly, of course :-(

How we all love the whitefly! Come the warmer weather they WILL pee us all
off with their numbers.

Not typically with me - they seem to prefer the colder weather here.

You are lucky to get a crop, or did you mean growing well?

They are cropping gradually, and quite well - so often, I get nothing
except for a single fortnight.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:

Slugs have got to lots of my brassica seedlings. I'm reluctant to use
pellets though.

I find that they don't work. I used to use them very sparingly,
without much success, so I tried one test of putting almost a
layer of them around some plants, and it had no more effect.
So I shan't ever buy them again.

Currently, they are causing trouble to some of my Hemerocallis,
because it isn't warm enough for the plants to gwor much.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
I find that they don't work. I used to use them very sparingly,
without much success, so I tried one test of putting almost a
layer of them around some plants, and it had no more effect.
So I shan't ever buy them again.

We had reasonable success with nemaslugs, but I think their
effectiveness has pretty
much died off now, as we haven't bothered for a year or more.

You have to treat every year! It works.

Technically, I think you're meant to treat every 2 or 3 times a year. It
worked well whilst we did it, and it carried on working well for a while,
then we got bored and stopped doing it. Bored/disorganised/etc

Old 08-05-2012, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

news wrote:
******* pigeons. Last year they at least waited untuil my cherries were
fruit. This year, they're ripping flowers and shoots off the trees with
gay abandon as soon as my back's turned. Looks like someone's emptied a
shredder underneath them.

Oh, you've got that, too? They've been at our cherry tree already, and I
thought it was odd. Nothing (touch wood) has got the unripe redcurrants
yet, though! Really need to get that netting on

And then there are the rats in the shed. Very little gardening stuff in

Rats under the decking and, by the looks of the potatoes I finally got in
yesterday, in the allotment shed, too. :-(