Old 20-05-2012, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The smell of new carpets and a pot of coffee

Makes all the difference, the coffee and other nice odours, now we are
slowly moving back into our once damp hellhole during the flooding we had.

The garden is a bloody mess, the lawns look like they sucked a lemon.

The potato patch is looking ok I think now it has been mulched. The beans
are nacked, so are the peas. Well not totaly. There are signs again.
Nothing to get excited about.
My daughter in law sowed some carrots for me in cardboard bog rolls which
are showing now so they will be going into the ground as soon as possible.

So, potatoes and carrots is the diet for the future until I can figure out
how I am going to tackle this mess.

Best wishes to all.
Baz
Old 20-05-2012, 07:09 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_4_] View Post
Makes all the difference, the coffee and other nice odours, now we are
slowly moving back into our once damp hellhole during the flooding we had.

The garden is a bloody mess, the lawns look like they sucked a lemon.

The potato patch is looking ok I think now it has been mulched. The beans
are nacked, so are the peas. Well not totaly. There are signs again.
Nothing to get excited about.
My daughter in law sowed some carrots for me in cardboard bog rolls which
are showing now so they will be going into the ground as soon as possible.

So, potatoes and carrots is the diet for the future until I can figure out
how I am going to tackle this mess.

Best wishes to all.
Baz
You've still time to sow french and riunner beans and peas. If the soil is still soggy, grow them in pots for a while.

I know it's not much consolation but maybe this is the year you could try all those interesting oriental veg that can't be sown until the days start to shorten again?
__________________
Old 20-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
You've still time to sow french and riunner beans and peas. If the soil is still soggy, grow them in pots for a while.

I know it's not much consolation but maybe this is the year you could try all those interesting oriental veg that can't be sown until the days start to shorten again?
You could try rice. :-)
Old 20-05-2012, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

kay wrote:
You've still time to sow french and riunner beans and peas. If the soil
is still soggy, grow them in pots for a while.

I know it's not much consolation but maybe this is the year you could
try all those interesting oriental veg that can't be sown until the days
start to shorten again?

Good call, I like fresh pak choi, although I've never been amazingly successful
with it.

To add to your list above, still time to sow broad beans for a late crop, and
pumpkins, and possibly courgettes. And radish and lettuce + stuff like that,
if you are so inclined. (probably loads more)