Old 21-05-2012, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default National Botanic Garden of Wales offer

Crack the Garden code

The new National Botanic Garden of Wales visitor leaflet is packed with
more than just vital statistics and pretty pictures. The 2012 Garden
leaflet has an inbuilt discounted entry offer – locked in the QR code on
the cover.

Anyone with a smart phone and a QR-code-reading ‘app’ will be able to
unlock a ‘buy one, get one half price’ admission offer to the Garden.

Head of marketing, David Hardy said: “We produce around a quarter of a
million leaflets every year but this year they have a special value to
would-be visitors. The technology means we can get an offer out to a
huge audience but it will also enable us to better track the take-up of
the Garden’s leaflet and give us invaluable data about our visitors.”

Visitors who scan the leaflet code will receive a message on their phone
letting them know how to claim their discounted entry.

Said Mr Hardy: “It really is quite simple. And we’ll be looking forward
to the reaction of visitors and their feedback about the idea.”

The Garden’s visitor leaflets are available all over Wales, in places
such as Tourist Information Centres, motorway service stations, hotels,
holiday parks, pubs, restaurants, garages and guesthouses.

The Garden is open from 10am-6pm. For more information, go to
www.gardenofwales.org.uk or email or call
01558 667130.
Old 22-05-2012, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/05/2012 21:41, David Hill wrote:
[...]

I am not impressed. A lot of us do not have the electronic gadgets
required, therefore we miss out! Why not just put the discount in straight?

Old 22-05-2012, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I don't want to be negative but I would have thought that a lot of the
target audience for this sort of place may not have the required gadgetry.

Is that an awful stereotype?

I don't mean to say that anyone interested in gardens/gardening is old or
not capable of using new technology (I'm 26!) or anything of the sort, but I
would have thought this may put a portion of readers off.

No one likes to feel like they're missing out and may look elsewhere.

Just my 2p.

--
Regards,
Jamie D.

All the way from sunny Lincolnshire.

Old 22-05-2012, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 22 May 2012 10:32:07 +0100, "Jamie D."
wrote:

I don't want to be negative but I would have thought that a lot of the
target audience for this sort of place may not have the required gadgetry.

Is that an awful stereotype?

I don't mean to say that anyone interested in gardens/gardening is old or
not capable of using new technology (I'm 26!) or anything of the sort, but I
would have thought this may put a portion of readers off.

No one likes to feel like they're missing out and may look elsewhere.

Just my 2p.

The offer's a bit "misleading". RHS members get in free anyway. And
anyone else only needs to buy the May issue of Gardeners' World
Magazine to get 2 for 1 admission to loads of places around the
country. This will save, for example, £8.50 at the National Botanic
Gardens of Wales alone and the saving is more than the purchase price!
One free ticket is a better offer than a half-price one. Get in quick,
though, as the May issue will soon be replaced by the June one on the
newsstands.

And there's another sting - anyone taking the smartphone route can be
tracked and the piece Dave quotes says they will be. So I suppose
that'll mean unwanted text messages and wotnot.

BTW, Jamie, could you please post any replies at the bottom of the
message you're replying to - it makes threads much easier to follow. I
don't know if Outlook Express can be configured to do this
automatically but, if not, just click at the bottom before you type.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 22-05-2012, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
BTW, Jamie, could you please post any replies at the bottom of the
message you're replying to - it makes threads much easier to follow. I
don't know if Outlook Express can be configured to do this
automatically but, if not, just click at the bottom before you type.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.

Apologies! Knew I'd get something wrong. I will see if Outlook will let me
set this as the default.

Old 22-05-2012, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

The whole reason for the offer is to see what sort of response they get
from the leaflet, there are better offers around, mostly short term.
Sorry Jake but "You can get in free with your RHS card from October the
March".
But if you are within range of the gardens or are coming down this way
on holiday it's worth signing up to their news letter as it will keep
you up to date on special events etc.
David @ the hot and sunny side of Swansea Bay.

Old 22-05-2012, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 22 May 2012 11:37:02 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

..
Sorry Jake but "You can get in free with your RHS card from October the
March".

Thanks Dave! That'll teach me to check the handbook each year and not
take "no change" for granted. Now to dig out the GW booklet and check
that as well (if I can remember where I've put it).

Cheers, Jake