Old 23-05-2012, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Newsreaders

"Jamie D." wrote
"Christina Websell" wrote
Glad you are enjoying news.individual.net. I've used them for some
years since my ISP stopped carrying Usenet (they were free then) but
even when they introduced a charge, I wouldn't swap them.

It seems great so far! This is my first dip into newsgroups in about
10 years so I'm something of a beginner (again)!

Hi Jamie.
I've always used Outlook Express simply because it came free with my
machine and I see no major problems with the reply setup. The cursor is
placed at the top when you reply, which makes sense because you start
there and go through what you're replying to, editing out any part that
isn't relevant to your reply but leaving in enough to make the context
clear. I usually put in [...] or snip as I go to show where cuts were
made. Edit out sigs etc. Add reply at the bottom. Easy.

The one thing that does (mildly) annoy me about OE is the way it doesn't
wrap lines properly to line up quote marks () when several previous
people's msgs have been requoted. I normally do this manually to keep
the quote marks in the right places if I remember. I suppose if I was
writing loads of msgs all the time it might get too much to put up with
though. There is a free add-on I believe which overcomes this glitch if
you need it.

--
Sue

Old 24-05-2012, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Sue,

I suppose when you put it like that, it does make sense - I should be
editing through the messages I'm replying to anyway.

I may look out for that widget to fix the quoting.

I'm on Thunderbird at home (no Express there) and OE at work. With another
program on my 'phone I'm always confused about what's unread and what's not!

--
Regards,
Jamie D.

All the way from sunny Lincolnshire.

o.uk...

Old 24-05-2012, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Jamie D." wrote
"Christina Websell" wrote
Glad you are enjoying news.individual.net. I've used them for some
years since my ISP stopped carrying Usenet (they were free then) but
even when they introduced a charge, I wouldn't swap them.

It seems great so far! This is my first dip into newsgroups in about
10 years so I'm something of a beginner (again)!

Hi Jamie.
I've always used Outlook Express simply because it came free with my
machine and I see no major problems with the reply setup. The cursor is
placed at the top when you reply.

Mine doesn't. It is placed at the bottom.

The one thing that does (mildly) annoy me about OE is the way it doesn't
wrap lines properly to line up quote marks () when several previous
people's msgs have been requoted. I normally do this manually to keep
the quote marks in the right places if I remember. I suppose if I was
writing loads of msgs all the time it might get too much to put up with
though. There is a free add-on I believe which overcomes this glitch if
you need it.

Mine usually wraps fine with but I've noticed that my replies often have
short rows in them instead of going to the end of the page as I sent.
Probably my fault as I might not have my machine set up correctly.

Old 25-05-2012, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jamie D." wrote
Hi Sue,

I suppose when you put it like that, it does make sense - I should be
editing through the messages I'm replying to anyway.

And replying underneath the quotes?

I may look out for that widget to fix the quoting.

I'm on Thunderbird at home (no Express there) and OE at work. With
another program on my 'phone I'm always confused about what's unread
and what's not!

Lots of people recommend Thunderbird if they don't like using the MS
reader; it's fine to use whichever newsreader you prefer, there are
several good ones as you've seen mentioned here. I'm just lazy enough to
stick with the one I know my way around and have beaten into shape, but
I do use the Firefox browser so I might well try out Thunderbird if I
lay my hands on a round tuit sometime.

One point is, if the computer at work is your company's system they
might not take too kindly to you installing unofficial add-ons.

Happy gardening. I'm in Norfolk and it's sunny here too!

--
Sue

Old 25-05-2012, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Jamie D." wrote
Hi Sue,

I suppose when you put it like that, it does make sense - I should be
editing through the messages I'm replying to anyway.

And replying underneath the quotes?

Errrrr, I was just testing to see if you noticed!!

(oops!)

Old 25-05-2012, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jamie D." wrote
"Sue" wrote
"Jamie D." wrote
Hi Sue,

I suppose when you put it like that, it does make sense - I should
be editing through the messages I'm replying to anyway.

And replying underneath the quotes?

Errrrr, I was just testing to see if you noticed!!

(oops!)

Heh. :-)

I am now going out to potter around in the sun and will inspect my broad
bean plants, of which I am inordinately pleased. I've never grown any
before. After seeing the Chelsea coverage the other night I wish I'd got
ones that have red flowers, though. They did look extra attractive.

Next year...

--
Sue

Old 25-05-2012, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote
"Sue" wrote in message

[...]
I've always used Outlook Express simply because it came free with my
machine and I see no major problems with the reply setup. The cursor
is placed at the top when you reply.

Mine doesn't. It is placed at the bottom.

How odd. Maybe my version is so ancient it's all changed since, but it
definitely places the cursor right at the top of the reply window.
People were forever complaining about it at one time and I never
understood why as it makes perfect sense (to me) to begin at the top to
edit whatever's required - and it usually is, after a thread's had a few
replies - and then reply underneath. I'm also still on XP (prehistoric,
I know) if that's a factor, but hardly ever had problems with it, it's
been remarkably stable.

--
Sue

Old 25-05-2012, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
o.uk...
I am now going out to potter around in the sun and will inspect my broad
bean plants, of which I am inordinately pleased. I've never grown any
before. After seeing the Chelsea coverage the other night I wish I'd got
ones that have red flowers, though. They did look extra attractive.

Next year...

--
Sue

Broadies are one of the few things I get right almost without trying,
although due to restricted space I have only got two big containers with
them in. I hope to overwinter some on the allotment this year (my neighbour
did that and has had a massive headstart; though he clearly plans his plot
like a military operation and is very, very good at it.

The red flowers are lovely though; ditto on runners.

Old 25-05-2012, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/25/2012 02:27 PM, Sue wrote:
lay my hands on a round tuit sometime.

Heh, I still have a round tuit that Henny Youngman gave me long ago!
Old 29-05-2012, 02:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote
wrote:
[...] I'm also still on XP (prehistoric, I know) if that's a factor,
but hardly ever had problems with it, it's been remarkably stable.

Something to do with all those hundreds of WinXP security updates :-)

I console myself with the thought that at least it isn't Vista.

--
Sue