Old 28-05-2012, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost - Health warning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18206191
Old 28-05-2012, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 28 May 2012 12:34:58 +0100, Fuschia
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18206191

This isn't new news; there have been warnings about compost around for
a couple of years now. I always wear latex gloves when handling bought
compost. Indeed I nearly always wear them when potting on etc., as it
saves a lot of under-the-nails cleaning and also saves time if I want
to make a cuppa

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 28-05-2012, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 28 May 2012 12:42:52 +0100, Jake wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18206191

Well, duh, hands covered in muck, even "clean" muck, you wash 'em
before eating.

I always wear latex gloves when handling bought compost.

But isn't legionella spread by inhalation of water droplets rather
than ingestion? A mask would be better. B-)

Indeed I nearly always wear them when potting on etc., as it
saves a lot of under-the-nails cleaning and also saves time if I want
to make a cuppa

Now those are much better reasons than any infection control.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 28-05-2012, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18206191

Short version;

"Dr Martin Donaghy, medical director of Health Protection Scotland, said

quote

"Over the past five years we've had three confirmed cases of Legionella
longbeachae, plus two 'probable' and one 'possible'" ..
We've got no evidence it's anything to do with the compost "

Janet.
Old 28-05-2012, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
lid says...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18206191

Short version;

"Dr Martin Donaghy, medical director of Health Protection Scotland, said

quote

"Over the past five years we've had three confirmed cases of Legionella
longbeachae, plus two 'probable' and one 'possible'" ..
We've got no evidence it's anything to do with the compost "

They should be looking at those gardener's water storage arrangements,
rather than the compost, shirley?

Steve

Old 28-05-2012, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Janet writes
In article ,
says...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18206191

Short version;

"Dr Martin Donaghy, medical director of Health Protection Scotland, said

quote

"Over the past five years we've had three confirmed cases of Legionella
longbeachae, plus two 'probable' and one 'possible'" ..
We've got no evidence it's anything to do with the compost "

Janet.

I think you are misquoting them Janet.

The 'we've got no evidence' line, comes further down the report, where
Dr. Donaghy is talking about why they have spotted such cases in
Scotland and not in the rest of the UK, and he doesn't think it is
likely that any difference in the compost is the likely cause of this.

It's likely that they tested the compost (it says they were thre
different brands), and other possible sources such as the household
water supply etc. and so know the source.

It seems this is a more common problem in NZ, as the bags of compost
there have warnings on.
--
Chris French

Old 28-05-2012, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , newspost-c-002
@familyfrench.co.uk says...

I think you are misquoting them Janet.

http://www.eurosurveillance.org/View...rticleId=19496

Janet

Old 28-05-2012, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18206191

This isn't new news; there have been warnings about compost around for
a couple of years now. I always wear latex gloves when handling bought
compost. Indeed I nearly always wear them when potting on etc., as it
saves a lot of under-the-nails cleaning and also saves time if I want
to make a cuppa

I am afraid that my reaction to 5 cases in 14 years is "Aw, gee!"

I don't bother cleaning up to make tea - that's what my immune
system is there for :-) Fairly seriously, like almost all other
abilities, there is a strong element of "use it or lose it", so
being paranoid about infection is nearly as harmful as being
really careless.

When I go walking in the Highlands, I have given up bothering to
'sterilise' any water except that below the sheep line or that is
a bit murky. A lot of people ask what I do, and I have to qualify
what I say with a comment that I can't guarantee how someone else
would react to strange varieties of E. coli.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-05-2012, 05:49 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
In article ,
lid says...

BBC News - Gardeners told 'wash off compost'

Short version;

"Dr Martin Donaghy, medical director of Health Protection Scotland, said

quote

"Over the past five years we've had three confirmed cases of Legionella
longbeachae, plus two 'probable' and one 'possible'" ..
We've got no evidence it's anything to do with the compost "

Janet.
Yes, but that's out of context. The context was that all cases have been in Scotland, and he was saying that this was because he believes Scottish health services are better at picking it up rather than that the cost used in Scotland is different from the compost used in England.
__________________
Old 29-05-2012, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Janet writes
In article , newspost-c-002
says...

I think you are misquoting them Janet.

http://www.eurosurveillance.org/View...rticleId=19496

Your point?

(And yes I've read it, but what I read into it might not be what you do)

--
Chris French

Old 30-05-2012, 01:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18206191

This isn't new news; there have been warnings about compost around for
a couple of years now. I always wear latex gloves when handling bought
compost. Indeed I nearly always wear them when potting on etc., as it
saves a lot of under-the-nails cleaning and also saves time if I want
to make a cuppa

I am afraid that my reaction to 5 cases in 14 years is "Aw, gee!"

I don't bother cleaning up to make tea - that's what my immune
system is there for :-) Fairly seriously, like almost all other
abilities, there is a strong element of "use it or lose it", so
being paranoid about infection is nearly as harmful as being
really careless.

I'm with you, Nick. I eat without washing my hands if I only have a bit of
soil on them from grubbing around with plants.
Not died yet.
Disclaimer: Don't do what I do.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 30 May 2012 01:35:42 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

I don't bother cleaning up to make tea - that's what my immune
system is there for :-)

I'm with you, Nick. I eat without washing my hands if I only have a
bit of soil on them from grubbing around with plants.

When making tea you don't normally get direct contact bewteen the tea
or it's component parts and your fingers. Would you make a cheses and
salad sandwhich without washing hands?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:

I don't bother cleaning up to make tea - that's what my immune
system is there for :-)

I'm with you, Nick. I eat without washing my hands if I only have a
bit of soil on them from grubbing around with plants.

When making tea you don't normally get direct contact bewteen the tea
or it's component parts and your fingers. Would you make a cheses and
salad sandwhich without washing hands?

If it is just for me, and I haven't been handling anything toxic
or have touched cat dung, yes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Dave Liquorice wrote:
I don't bother cleaning up to make tea - that's what my immune
system is there for :-)

I'm with you, Nick. I eat without washing my hands if I only have a
bit of soil on them from grubbing around with plants.

When making tea you don't normally get direct contact bewteen the tea
or it's component parts and your fingers.

Really? I'm guessing you're a leaf-not-bag man, then?