Old 29-05-2012, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default any mint will do ?

I have ordinary mint in the garden but want to establish a bed for growing
mint to dry and use for mixing with animal feed. Does anyone know which
variety I should be looking for, or as the subject says -any mint will do
:-)

kate

Old 29-05-2012, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in
o.uk:

I have ordinary mint in the garden but want to establish a bed for
growing mint to dry and use for mixing with animal feed. Does anyone
know which variety I should be looking for, or as the subject says
-any mint will do
:-)

kate

I am confused with this string of words!

Baz
Old 29-05-2012, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:44:42 GMT, Baz wrote:

"Kate Morgan" wrote in
news:W5CdnSh9QPoIF1nSnZ2dnUVZ8m6dnZ2d@brightview .co.uk:

I have ordinary mint in the garden but want to establish a bed for
growing mint to dry and use for mixing with animal feed. Does anyone
know which variety I should be looking for, or as the subject says
-any mint will do
:-)

kate

I am confused with this string of words!

Think self flavoured lamb, with using GM.

Sorry, a bit of thickness from me perhaps.

Baz
Old 29-05-2012, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have ordinary mint in the garden but want to establish a bed for growing
mint to dry and use for mixing with animal feed. Does anyone know which
variety I should be looking for, or as the subject says -any mint will do
:-)

kate

There's a huge patch of apple mint in the adjacent sheep field (escape
from neighbours garden) and the sheep won't touch it. Nor do the hares,
pheasants and chickens.

If you want herbivores to eat mint you may have to dry and powder it and
mix it into somethng palatable.

Janet

I have a pony mare who has been on a strict diet for some time and I want to
liven up her rather boring feed, I have used mint before to give digestive
support and the horses generally like it, I do the same with nettles. I just
thought that as I had the room I may as well grow it myself rather than buy
it ready done. There are many different sorts of mint, I think herb
gardening is rather interesting.

kate

Old 29-05-2012, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
I have ordinary mint in the garden but want to establish a bed for growing
mint to dry and use for mixing with animal feed. Does anyone know which
variety I should be looking for, or as the subject says -any mint will do
:-)

kate

As "any mint will do" why not take cuttings from the mint you already have?
Just take the top couple of inches off as many stems as you want to and
stick them in a milk bottle full of water on your windowsill. They root
very easily and quickly. Then pot them on to get them rooting strongly in
soil, then when they are romping away, plant them in your mint bed.

As I see downthread you want it for your pony and will need quite a lot for
this, I won't add the usual warning "keep it in a bottomless bucket to stop
it taking over" ;-)
I know how important it is to keep ponies from getting overfat (laminitis)
as when I had mine out on loan once, she got it.
Lots of luck with keeping her interested in her restricted diet with your
great idea of growing mint and drying it to include in her feed. All ponies
love Polos

Tina

Old 29-05-2012, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

OK. Well, IME applemint and spearmint are the fastest increasers and
both completely hardy in the UK (unlike some mints).They are also the two
most commonly used UK culinary mints (strong mint flavour from mint oils).
Applemint has roundish slightly furry leaves, spearmint leaves are
pointed, bright green.

Do you dry the nettles too or just let them wilt until they don't sting?
I wonder if you had thought of making a liquid draught and if horses would
accept that.

Janet

Old 29-05-2012, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I have never tried rooting mint in water although I do use that method with
fuchsia's, sounds a very good idea and yes I think I will use quite a lot.
The pony is doing well and hopefully will be out in the starvation paddock
very soon, well on the way to recovery :-).
Thank you for your input and interest

kate

Old 29-05-2012, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip

[...]

I usually hang the nettles up in bunches in an airy place and let them dry
out naturally. I haven't thought of making a liquid draught with them , a
good idea :-)
I think spearmint will be the best to use or maybe both. I can see that I
am going to be busy:-).
Thank you for your interest

kate

Old 29-05-2012, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/05/2012 09:36, Kate Morgan wrote:
I have ordinary mint in the garden but want to establish a bed for
growing mint to dry and use for mixing with animal feed. Does anyone
know which variety I should be looking for, or as the subject says -any
mint will do :-)

kate

I'd say your best bet would be Black Peppermint. Grows like a weed and
would give a good flavour to food for a horse that likes Polo

Old 30-05-2012, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/05/2012 22:20, David Hill wrote:
On 29/05/2012 09:36, Kate Morgan wrote:
I have ordinary mint in the garden but want to establish a bed for
growing mint to dry and use for mixing with animal feed. Does anyone
know which variety I should be looking for, or as the subject says -any
mint will do :-)

kate

I'd say your best bet would be Black Peppermint. Grows like a weed and
would give a good flavour to food for a horse that likes Polo

Cologne mint is an interesting one. Rampant once it gets going, and
wonderful smell. Taste I'm not so sure about....
Old 30-05-2012, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/05/2012 10:09, stuart noble wrote:
On 29/05/2012 22:20, David Hill wrote:
On 29/05/2012 09:36, Kate Morgan wrote:
I have ordinary mint in the garden but want to establish a bed for
growing mint to dry and use for mixing with animal feed. Does anyone
know which variety I should be looking for, or as the subject says -any
mint will do :-)

kate

I'd say your best bet would be Black Peppermint. Grows like a weed and
would give a good flavour to food for a horse that likes Polo

Cologne mint is an interesting one. Rampant once it gets going, and
wonderful smell. Taste I'm not so sure about....

Foul taste

Doug's mint - dougs-mint.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 06-08-2007 05:44 PM
Distilling Mint Nicholas Gardening 4 18-04-2003 04:44 PM
LINK-INDIA: Menthol mint... Frederick Noronha \(FN\) sci.agriculture 1 17-04-2003 12:56 AM
Purchasing Mint for garden. Texas Garden Edible Gardening 2 17-03-2003 11:56 PM
Penny Royal Mint dying off Michael Singmin Gardening 0 21-02-2003 08:27 AM