Old 30-05-2012, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wash your hands after handling that muck. Legionella longbeachae

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 May 2012 19:55:20 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

In the old days they would go around Hong Kong collecting "Night soil"
which was then taken to "The New Territories" where it was used as
manure for the fruit and veg grown to supply Hong Kong.
This went on into the 60's.
When I was young we would dig out a trench and empty the cesspit into it
by bucket and recover with soil, this would then be where we grew our
runner beans and peas.
David @ the parched end of Swansea Bay

Not long after the war, probably late 1940's, we went as a family for
a holiday on the Channel Islands. One of the 'trips' we went on was a
tour of the German fortifications, including an underground bunker.
While we were in the bunker, it was suddenly filled with all-pervading
smell of human excrement. Being as I was only little, many people in
the party assumed I'd done something in my pants, even though I
protested vehemently to my parents that I hadn't. When we emerged into
the fresh air, it was apparent that the local farmer was manuring a
nearby field with the stuff. I doubt if 'Jersey Royals' have ever been
as good since!

I was under the impression that they had to be fertilised with seaweeed to
be Jersey Royals.

Steve

Old 30-05-2012, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

I'm amazed at the number of patients hanging around smoking outside
hospital entrances. IMO they should be told to go home.

And so am I, at the number of so called doctors and nurses hanging around
these places, smoking and setting an example.
Tell them to go home too!
My family have never been smokers, apart from my dad, who smoked a pipe.

When I went for an eye test yesterday I felt quite sick with the
opthamologists stinky clothes and breath. She was probably only 25-30 years
old, but that odour.

I think it will be a couple of generations more before we are rid of this
disgusting habit.

Baz
Old 30-05-2012, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 29 May 2012 20:18:26 +0100, Janet wrote:

Later than that. I used a rural Chinese communal public lav in the 80's
which was a long , immaculately tiled shallow channel where a whole row of
people squatted nose to tail, so to speak. (Because western females were
present, male users were briefly excluded). The urine drained off into a
collector; and if anyone poohed a little old lady rushed over and scooped
it up out of the channel with a little shovel.It all went onto the
commune's crops.

My childhood home in Herefordshire in the 60's, had only a bucket in a
shed for a lav and the contents were emptied into a trench in the veg
garden. My grandfather had been rotating the sewage trench round the
garden for about 50 years, with wonderful results.

My grandparents were last in the village to get an indoor loo in 1976.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 30-05-2012, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Baz
writes
I think it will be a couple of generations more before we are rid of this
disgusting habit.

No, I'm afraid that ranting[1] on usenet is going to be around a lot
longer than that.

All we need now is Monty Don smoking an organic cigarette and a number
of people here will be win 7th heaven.

[1] aka as expressing personal views as though they were objective
truths
--
regards andyw
Old 30-05-2012, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 30 May 2012 12:38:27 GMT, Baz wrote:

When I went for an eye test yesterday I felt quite sick with the
opthamologists stinky clothes and breath. She was probably only 25-30
years old, but that odour.

I'd have walked out and made very clear to anybody waiting why I was
walking out.

Had a electricity meter reader come round once who reeked of tobbaco
smoke, he screwed up the reading and wanted to come back in. He was
refused and IIRC I also rang the relevant supplier to complain.
Didn't see that meter reader again but then I don't think we ever see
the same meter reader.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 30-05-2012, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Dave Liquorice wrote:
When I went for an eye test yesterday I felt quite sick with the
opthamologists stinky clothes and breath. She was probably only 25-30
years old, but that odour.

I'd have walked out and made very clear to anybody waiting why I was
walking out.

Get it not infrequently on the tube, when someone gets on and stands in
your air-space, and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. :-(

Old 30-05-2012, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Cough and splutter, get off at the next stop and get the next train.

My route to work is already finely cut, it's "try and avoid it, or put
up and shut up", I'm afraid. (I had to get off the victoria line once
when I was early-pregnant and standing for 15 mins was too much. Nick
was furious cos we were 2 stops short of where we needed to go, but if
I hadn't got off then I'd have vomitted on someone. Took about 3 or 4
trains before we could get back on. Mornings are a bit crowded)
Old 31-05-2012, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news wrote in news:vuqA0oKvZixPFwI5
@benevolent.org.uk:

In article , Baz
writes
I think it will be a couple of generations more before we are rid of this
disgusting habit.

No, I'm afraid that ranting[1] on usenet is going to be around a lot
longer than that.

All we need now is Monty Don smoking an organic cigarette and a number
of people here will be win 7th heaven.

[1] aka as expressing personal views as though they were objective
truths

Get over yourself.
Rant over.

Baz
Old 31-05-2012, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

S Viemeister wrote in news:a2k838F14oU1
@mid.individual.net:

Milwaukee has been treating its sewage and selling it as fertiliser for
years.

http://www.milorganite.com/en/Using-Milorganite/What-is-It.aspx

So has Severn Trent waterfor 2 decades.

http://tinyurl.com/cjmjjed

The loo contents on the local allotment are used too by the council.

Baz

Old 31-05-2012, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Baz
writes
I'm amazed at the number of patients hanging around smoking outside
hospital entrances. IMO they should be told to go home.

I've been at one hospital where bed ridden patients are actually
pushed out to the entrance to smoke!! All to do with patients choice
apparently.
Ha!

What about those of us who have to come past them?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 02-06-2012, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote in
:

Martin wrote in
:

I'm amazed at the number of patients hanging around smoking outside
hospital entrances. IMO they should be told to go home.

And so am I, at the number of so called doctors and nurses hanging
around these places, smoking and setting an example.
Tell them to go home too!
My family have never been smokers, apart from my dad, who smoked a
pipe.

When I went for an eye test yesterday I felt quite sick with the
opthamologists stinky clothes and breath. She was probably only 25-30
years old, but that odour.

I think it will be a couple of generations more before we are rid of
this disgusting habit.

Baz

I went to get my specs fitted today.
Not a whiff of fag smoke but a sickening whiff of perfume! I assume it is
to mask the smoke. We can't have it everyway I don't suppose, but a shower
and dental cleansing before working with the public would be absolutely
essential.
All that said, I can see to read properly now.

Baz