Old 10-06-2012, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Nemaslug etc

I am contemplating giving either that - or something similar a go.

What is people's experience - and any particular source recommended.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:15:56 +0100, Judith
wrote:

I am contemplating giving either that - or something similar a go.

What is people's experience - and any particular source recommended.

Given that generally the most damaging (and most numerous) slug is the
keel slug and that spends most of its time underground, I've found
that slug attacking nematodes are extremely effective. The relatively
less destructive garden and field slugs are easily picked off by
hand/hedgehogs/frogs/birds - though nematodes work above ground as
well they won't get something that rests half way up a pot.

I apply mid-April/June/August . The pack says 6-weeks but I've read
articles that refer to the nematodes reproducing so I save myself the
cost of a pack a year. I get by with the 40sq m pack at around £9 a
time.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?
Old 10-06-2012, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith" wrote ...

I am contemplating giving either that - or something similar a go.

What is people's experience - and any particular source recommended.

When we tried it years ago, 2 treatments, it didn't work but we now believe
it was because the soil was not as moist as it should be during the
treatment. Difficult in a dry area when you can't use a hosepipe on the
potato patch.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith" wrote in message

I am contemplating giving either that - or something similar a go.

What is people's experience - and any particular source recommended.

I buy my Nemaslug from the Organic Gardening Catalogue. It seems to work
for me. I sometimes think my neighbours must wonder about me because I've
been know to apply it while it is raining - all they see is me watering the
garden in the rain!

A couple of points (which may be obvious so apologies) (1) you need a rose
with large holes. The average rose you get with a watering can won't work
(2) you apply it to the soil, not the plant - a mistake I made the first
couple of treatments.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-10 17:35:15 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Judith" wrote ...

I am contemplating giving either that - or something similar a go.

What is people's experience - and any particular source recommended.

When we tried it years ago, 2 treatments, it didn't work but we now
believe it was because the soil was not as moist as it should be during
the treatment. Difficult in a dry area when you can't use a hosepipe on
the potato patch.

The nursery staff here have been known to water nematodes in while it's
pouring with rain. One did actually beg not to have to do it because
the public looked at her as if she should be locked up!

I guess that as you use them - you must think them effective.

Any comments?

Old 10-06-2012, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 18:44:28 +0100, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

"Judith" wrote in message
.. .

I am contemplating giving either that - or something similar a go.

What is people's experience - and any particular source recommended.

I buy my Nemaslug from the Organic Gardening Catalogue. It seems to work
for me. I sometimes think my neighbours must wonder about me because I've
been know to apply it while it is raining - all they see is me watering the
garden in the rain!

A couple of points (which may be obvious so apologies) (1) you need a rose
with large holes. The average rose you get with a watering can won't work
(2) you apply it to the soil, not the plant - a mistake I made the first
couple of treatments.

Thanks - if you are applying to the soil - could you not dispense with the
rose?

When you get a bag of them - are they mixed in with something else. I am
wondering why you are saying you need a rose with large holes.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 18:44:28 +0100, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

"Judith" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

It arrives in what I can only describe as a ready meal packet which has an
expiry date, store them in the fridge! You slide off the cardboard outer,
peel back the film from the tray and you're confronted with a light gray
coloured cross between a powder and ultrafine and ultrashort hair, You
then take 1/8th (I buy the bigger pack) of that and put it on your can, mix
with water and away you go. Even though it's mixed with water it doesn't
dissolve hence it won't fit through the holes on a normal can. Actually,
now that you mention it, I haven't read that bit of the instructions
recently, I have a big hole rose, I use a big hole rose! Roses with big
holes are out there but you have to look. I think I found mine in about
the 3rd Garden Centre. I suspect the logic is that a rose will disperse
the liquid over a wider area. I suppose an alternative might be to mix and
then use an indoor watering can.

Nemaslug - used it? tazmainiandevil Gardening 1 23-03-2010 10:29 PM
Nemaslug Graham Harrison United Kingdom 2 04-07-2005 02:31 PM
Nemaslug didn't work Bruce Ella United Kingdom 4 17-06-2003 06:08 PM
nemaslug Bruce Ella United Kingdom 12 05-06-2003 09:19 AM
Nemaslug Barry & Iris McCanna United Kingdom 5 24-04-2003 08:32 PM