Old 16-06-2012, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default slabbed patio

On 16/06/2012 08:04, keithwood57 wrote:
Well! Thank you! I am amazed at the thoughtfulness of the folks who have
taken the time and trouble to post replies to my query.
Er, check this space sometime next year (DV) and I will let you know how
I am getting on.
Thanks again,
Keith

The Pound Shops sell glyphosate weedkiller if you want to do a trial run

Old 16-06-2012, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 07:04:26 +0000, keithwood57 wrote:

Well! Thank you! I am amazed at the thoughtfulness of the folks who have
taken the time and trouble to post replies to my query.

We try to be, no ones mentioned that you are posting from
gardenbanter yet. Things may change...

Another solution, hot water and salt. Not sure how effective that is
or how much salt is required to stop stuff growing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 17-06-2012, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 12:09:16 +0100, Janet wrote:

I bought one dirt cheap ex-hire and have used it for 30 years; but the
price of paraffin is now so high that it's no longer the cheap way it
once was to control weeds on drives etc.

That probably depends where you get it from. I see that B&Q have 4l
for £6.98 - £1.74/l. 40p more per litre than petrol!

28sec heating oil, aka kerosene, paraffin etc is about 56p/l ATM,
falling like petrol/diesel prices. Find some one with oil heating and
cross their palms with cash for a few litres or the church may have
oil heating anyway, just make sure it's 28sec not 35sec (diesel) oil
or a bunker oil of some sort.

For economy, he would be better with professional-strength glyphosate
(try a farm supplier, not, the versions sold in sheds and GC's). Per
season, a burner will need several applications; weedkiller just one.

It's less overall effort but you don't get the satisfaction of
fiddling with a flame thrower and zapping the things. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 17-06-2012, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 10:04:23 +0200, Martin wrote:

That probably depends where you get it from. I see that B&Q have

4l
for £6.98 - £1.74/l. 40p more per litre than petrol!

Is B&Q selling N-paraffin? It's the stuff with the aromatics removed.
It is intended for paraffin lamps and paraffin stoves

"Bartoline Premium Paraffin" refined to BS2869 C1. It's for
greehouse heaters rather than lamps, Bartoline sell lamp oil as a
separate product but don't say what the spec is for that on their
site other than being "low smoke". The "Technical" link where I would
expect to find the COSSH sheets doesn't work.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 17-06-2012, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
Rarely within convenient reach of a BQ so whenever I've bought paraffin
it's usually from a local garage. I have used CH oil left over from when
we got rid of the oil boiler system and it works okay.

Don't know if it helps, but B+Q do a delivery service. (plus if you buy
online via topcashback you can get a chunk of the money back, which may
or may not cover the delivery cost)

Probably not worth it for a bit of paraffin which you can buy easily
elsewhere, but may be worth considering if you ever do a bigger project.
Old 17-06-2012, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday, 15 June 2012 13:15:56 UTC+1, keithwood57 wrote:
Hi
Forgive me if I am covering old ground.
I am not skilled in web use and find it very difficult to navigate.
I am a retired man living in the West Midlands.
I recently changed churches and I was asked if I would take on the
church garden. This was no big problem as it had been quite well
maintained.
However, I realised that part of the job involved keeping the patio area
weeded.
Now, this is a HUGE area of paving stones and, as the church is about
fifty years old, weeds have very seriously established themselves
between them.
I have already weeded the patio twice this year. It takes (me anyway) a
full day and it is very hard work.
I have never had this problem before so I wonder if anyone would like to
make a suggestion - bearing in mind that if a weed-killer is suggested
it needs to be cost-effective. A friendly council worker who passed by
while I was weeding suggested Roundup. Now, I don't know how good this
is - but it is hugely expensive for a pensioner (and, yes, I would like
to bear the cost myself as part of my church giving).
Thank you
Keith

A generic preparation containing glyphosate is about the best thing for the job. I use Clinic Ace (just an old formulation of Roundup out of patent and cheaper) You won't get it from a garden centre, a local agricultural merchant will sell it in 5litre bottles. I don't know what dilution you'd use for dribble bar but for spraying I use 300ml per 15litres so it's going to last you a good while. For an overall spray a 15l knapsack spray would do about 750sq metres but for spot treatment as you would be doing the 15l sprayer would probably keep you working for a good hour or more. Keep the pressure down for spot treatment to minimise drift because this stuff kills anything green that it touches and in certain conditions the drifting spay can be difficult to see.
Especially if you could get other parishioners to chip in, a good knapsack sprayer with a proper herbicide nozzle would be a good investment and make light work of the job. You don't try to heave the pack up to your back from the ground, fill the sprayer on a platform about waist height and then back into the straps. The Bastion 15 litre spayer is an excellent machine, cheaper than the yellow Cooper Pegler ones that seem to have become the industry standard and more comfortable (for me at any rate)
I did this when I retired 5 years ago and no longer had access to the work kit. It's used at home, also on my allotment and for some voluntary work around our village. (Haven't finished the first 5 litres yet)

Rod

Old 17-06-2012, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
Rarely within convenient reach of a BQ so whenever I've bought paraffin
it's usually from a local garage. I have used CH oil left over from when
we got rid of the oil boiler system and it works okay.

Don't know if it helps, but B+Q do a delivery service.

Not to Scottish islands :-) Or even to all rural areas on the mainland.

BQ delivery says

"Delivery is available to all UK mainland addresses."

except the remote mainland addresses where

"Customers living in some remote rural areas should note some delivery
services are either extended by 2 working days, or in some instances NOT
AVAILABLE AT ALL "

In that case, "it doesn't help". Oh well.
Old 17-06-2012, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rod
writes
[...]

If the OP isn't near somewhere thet he can get it from, you can get it
online.

Eg, about 337 on Ebay from various sellers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...570.l1313&_nkw
=glyphosate&_sacat=See-All-Categories

--
Chris French

Old 04-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Registered User

Location: Wolverhampton

Hi
Thanks to all who offered advice on this subject - I really am very appreciative.
I found a fairly inexpensive Glysophate. And (in a departure my usual practice) I read the instructions and followed them.
I have used this stuff before - but after a day or two when nothing happened I weeded. BIG mistake! This time I left it a couple of weeks - AMAZING!! Almost everything was dead, even that horrible scraggly grass that is SO difficult to shift: Just the odd few spots of green - and I think they are newbies.
So I have now hoed the dead plants to get it all tidy for an upcoming event.
My plan now is wait for a sunny day toward autumn (immediately I sense some hoots of derision being made... a WHAT day???) and doing it again - hoping that a combination of Glysophate and winter frosts willl reduce my work signficantly next year.
Thanks again,
Keith