Old 19-06-2012, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Glyphosate

On 06/18/2012 11:00 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"Pete C" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Is it selective? I want to use it next to a holly and some other
bushes.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

You have to be very careful, it is absorbed by any green parts of a
plant which is in active growth, if you use a sprinkle bar instead of
spray and protect the things you want to keep first, you can still
use it. If you have an accident, you need to cut off the bit that you
got it on or drench with water.

I accidently sprayed a young potato, drenched with water within 30
seconds....no good, dead tatty

Oh I was rather hoping strong woody bushes might not be so vulnerable
but it seems not

Not summat to be messed with eh?

Definitely not. But it can be used with proper precautions, and is a
valuable tool in a large garden or park. As well as to kill stuff like
bindweed that is difficult to dig or pull completely.

Woody stems don't absorb glyphosate, so it can be used with reasonable
safely around established trees or shrubs. If you get any on the trunk,
it is not absorbed easily. My neighbor sprays it right on the trunks of
his cherries to clear the area around, with no problem.

Martin's advice about not using to fine a spray is very important,
because any drift will be deadly.

Another thing I do is to mix in a blue biological marker, so that I can
see very easily where I've sprayed. That way 1) I don't waste the
product when doing the drive, and 2) if I make a mistake, I can quickly
see and snip off the leaves that have gotten the stuff on them. The
marker disappears after a few days.

-E
Old 19-06-2012, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/06/2012 09:33, Emery Davis wrote:

[...]

I always wonder about the trunks on young trees that can still be green
like young fruit trees and young Holly trees.
David

Old 19-06-2012, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Is it selective? I want to use it next to a holly and some other
bushes.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

You have to be very careful, it is absorbed by any green parts of a
plant
which is in active growth, if you use a sprinkle bar instead of spray
and
protect the things you want to keep first, you can still use it. If you
have an accident, you need to cut off the bit that you got it on or
drench
with water.

Thanks for that. I can see I will need to think very carefully how/if I
use
it!

Spray into a contaner and paint on with kiddies paint brush.

What a good idea!! Thanks

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 19-06-2012, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

Ophelia, Ray has a long transparent tube with a cross piece at the bottom
with a sort of horizontal wick on it that goes just a little up into the

Yes I am sure he could Thanks

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 19-06-2012, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Mine has been there for around 15 years so I think it will probably be ok if
I am careful, yes?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 19-06-2012, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 18/06/2012 17:44, Ophelia wrote:

Is it selective? I want to use it next to a holly and some other bushes.

Absolutely not. It kills all green things. But the dose makes the poison.

Holly and ivy seedlings are usually sufficiently waxy to survive
application of glyphosate (more mysteriously so are buttercups although
they do not at all look well afterwards). Apart from that any green
material you touch with glyphosate will potentially doom the plant.

Try not to hit anything you don't want to kill. Having said that I would
not be worried about using it near or under holly bushes or any other
shrubs where I could keep the stems away from the spray.

I suspect that since holly seedlings survive application of glyphosate the
full grown plant will too but I have never done the experiment.

Grass is exquisitely sensitive to it so beware of outline marks left on
your lawn by any overspray on boots.

Cutting bits off to avoid collateral damage fairly quickly will work as a
last resort. Don't spray on a windy day and don't use too fine a spray
that will be inclined to drift too far.

Many thanks for that! Most welcome!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 19-06-2012, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message
[...]

Excellent advice! Thank you again!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Old 19-06-2012, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/06/2012 10:23, Ophelia wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Is it selective? I want to use it next to a holly and some other
bushes.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

You have to be very careful, it is absorbed by any green parts of a
plant
which is in active growth, if you use a sprinkle bar instead of
spray and
protect the things you want to keep first, you can still use it. If you
have an accident, you need to cut off the bit that you got it on or
drench
with water.

Thanks for that. I can see I will need to think very carefully
how/if I use
it!

Spray into a contaner and paint on with kiddies paint brush.

What a good idea!! Thanks

Great idea then the kids can take the blame if anything else dies

Old 19-06-2012, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message
[...]

I say, what a devious mind you have ...

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 19-06-2012, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
r...
On 18/06/2012 19:15, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 17:44:38 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Is it selective? I want to use it next to a holly and some other
bushes.

It selects almost anything it comes in contact with.

My father sprayed some weeds next to a huge fifty year old clump of
rhubarb and accidentally got some spray on its leaves killing it!

It is vicious stuff, takes no prisoners with few exceptions - ivy
seemingly being one.

I've been trying to find someting to kill the ivy, are you saying I can't
use it for that?

If not what can I use?

To kill the ivy that is?

Alan

Old 19-06-2012, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Is it selective? I want to use it next to a holly and some other
bushes.

It selects almost anything it comes in contact with.

My father sprayed some weeds next to a huge fifty year old clump of
rhubarb and accidentally got some spray on its leaves killing it!

It is vicious stuff, takes no prisoners with few exceptions - ivy
seemingly being one.

I've been trying to find someting to kill the ivy, are you saying I can't
use it for that?

If not what can I use?

To kill the ivy that is?

Alan

In my experience straight generic glyphosate doesn't kill it. The leaves
are probably too waxy for the glyphosate to be absorbed. Maybe it would
work if a little washing up liquid was added as a wetting agent?

Old 19-06-2012, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/06/2012 10:33, Emery Davis wrote:

Definitely not. But it can be used with proper precautions, and is a
valuable tool in a large garden or park. As well as to kill stuff like
bindweed that is difficult to dig or pull completely.

I've not found it to be 100% effective against bind weed. It seems to
work at the time, but after several weeks or even months new shoots
often pop up out of the ground.

Old 19-06-2012, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 12:30:41 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

. fr...
wrote:

Is it selective? I want to use it next to a holly and some other
bushes.

It selects almost anything it comes in contact with.

My father sprayed some weeds next to a huge fifty year old clump of
rhubarb and accidentally got some spray on its leaves killing it!

It is vicious stuff, takes no prisoners with few exceptions - ivy
seemingly being one.

I've been trying to find someting to kill the ivy, are you saying I can't
use it for that?

If not what can I use?

To kill the ivy that is?

Alan

The waxy leaves of ivy tend to resist glyphosate, just as the coating
on mares tail. I kill ivy by chopping it off about 6 inches above
ground (which generally kills what's above the cut as long as there
isn't an alternative "food source" higher up for it to root into).
Chop mares tail about 2 inches above ground. Then inject glyphosate
into the stump using a syringe (purchase one from your local chemist
but don't let them fob you off with diabetic needles - they're too
narrow and weak to work). Just poke the syringe carefully down into
the centre of the stumpy stem, making sure that you DO NOT hold the
stem with the other hand! If you need to hold the cut stem steady, use
a pair of pliers or something so there's no risk of accidentally
injecting yourself.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?
Old 19-06-2012, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Is it selective? I want to use it next to a holly and some other
bushes.

It selects almost anything it comes in contact with.

My father sprayed some weeds next to a huge fifty year old clump of
rhubarb and accidentally got some spray on its leaves killing it!

It is vicious stuff, takes no prisoners with few exceptions - ivy
seemingly being one.

I've been trying to find someting to kill the ivy, are you saying I can't
use it for that?

If not what can I use?

To kill the ivy that is?

In my experience straight generic glyphosate doesn't kill it. The leaves
are probably too waxy for the glyphosate to be absorbed. Maybe it would
work if a little washing up liquid was added as a wetting agent?

Not a chance - the wetting agents in commercial glyphosate formulations
are the most dangerous part of it (way more vicious than puny washing up
liquid). I suspect bruising the leaves first might help.

But usually cutting the stuff off at the roots works well enough.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

glyphosate and vegetables Martin Brown United Kingdom 2 05-08-2003 03:43 PM
Glyphosate Huskies4all Roses 7 29-05-2003 05:56 PM
The dangers of weed killers - Glyphosate aka Roundup, the hidden killer. Malcolm United Kingdom 0 15-05-2003 10:45 AM
storage lifetime of glyphosate dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 7 12-05-2003 07:56 PM
storage lifetime of glyphosate dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 4 12-05-2003 11:45 AM