Old 23-06-2012, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weed torcch - anyone used these?

Hello,

A quick question really. Has anyone used one of those weed torch gadgets ? -
they have a gas can and are like a blow torch on a long handle

I would like to know if they are worth getting , are effective and on what
kind and how big a weed ( or weeds). Are they easy to use?

I have tried countless times to get rid of all sorts of weeds in my garden
with weed killer but the stuff seems to lack guts these days and was
wondering if fire might be the answer.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 23-06-2012, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 07:21:51 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Hello,

A quick question really. Has anyone used one of those weed torch gadgets
? -
they have a gas can and are like a blow torch on a long handle

I would like to know if they are worth getting , are effective and on
what
kind and how big a weed ( or weeds). Are they easy to use?

I have tried countless times to get rid of all sorts of weeds in my garden
with weed killer but the stuff seems to lack guts these days and was
wondering if fire might be the answer.

Thanks for any advice.

The general consensus expressed here in the past has been that the
lightweight ones using a gas canister aren't much use, although the
big paraffin-powered flame-thrower types are effective against
shallow-rooted weeds (great fun to use if you're a closet
pyromaniac!). The important point to remember is that you're not
attempting to burn the weeds away, just to singe them lightly, to cook
them, in other words, after which they will collapse and die.

You say weed-killer these days seems to lack guts. Are you being too
impatient? Glyphosate is a very effective weed-killer, but you have to
allow it two or three weeks to take effect, and it does kill right to
the roots, whereas a blast with a flame gun may not deal with the
deep-rooted weeds and they will sprout again.

Thanks for the davice, I am not being impatient. The weedkiller simply
isnt working. This year so far I have poured several gallons of the stuff
over my weeds. They havent even died and they are growing more vigorously
than ever now ( since the rains). I always do the weed killing job when it
is dry and no rain in sight, so that is not the problem. I just think weed
killer is getting weak. EU rule about not letting oprdinary people use nasty
pestasides ( or a UK rule) - like the one which has given us gutless ,
slimey compost?

Old 23-06-2012, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/06/2012 07:21, sweetheart wrote:
Hello,

A quick question really. Has anyone used one of those weed torch gadgets
? - they have a gas can and are like a blow torch on a long handle

I would like to know if they are worth getting , are effective and on
what kind and how big a weed ( or weeds). Are they easy to use?

I have tried countless times to get rid of all sorts of weeds in my
garden with weed killer but the stuff seems to lack guts these days and
was wondering if fire might be the answer.

Glyphosate will kill any green plant it touches roots included. Takes
about two weeks for full effect so be patient - longer in the cold and
damp summer we are having at the moment. Faster acting things like
Weedol or Pathclear will do specific jobs more quickly and completely.

ISTR one of the more potent persistent weedkillers has been withdrawn
from use in the likes of Pathclear, but that doesn't affect its
immediate effect only how long the path stays weed free.

Thanks for any advice.

They are a complete waste of time and money unless you are an
Organic(TM) freak and subscribe to the all chemicals are bad scam.
Double irony is that burning weeds *will* make dioxins.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 23-06-2012, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have to differ from other opinions. I've had one for three years (Wilco
about 20 quid) and think it's great.
Pete C

Old 23-06-2012, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 08:38:05 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

They are a complete waste of time and money unless you are an
Organic(TM) freak and subscribe to the all chemicals are bad scam.
Double irony is that burning weeds *will* make dioxins.

You don't burn the plants with a weed burner though you just waft the flame
over them enough to cause a visble change in colour and/or wilt. The heat
damages the cell structure and the top growth dies. Depending on the plant
that may or may not be enough to kill it.

The small gas cannister "walking stick" things are fine for small weeds
between paving or in gravel but not so good for big weeds or large well
vegitated areas.

Glyphosate is considered "safe" though the stronger concentrates have been
removed from retail sale. They are still available from agri merchants etc.
Cheap generic "Weed killer" you get from a shed will have as much water
(cheap) and as little active ingredient (expensive) in it that they think
they can get away with. Look at the lables...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 23-06-2012, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I have one that I picked up in Lidl for under a tenner a few years
ago. It only gets used a couple of times a year but it's great for
cleaning between pavers on the patio and also for a quick belt over
the gravel paths (which are laid on top of membrane so nothing is deep
rooted). I wouldn't use it over soil.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Ethiopian proverb: When spiders unite they can tie down a lion!

Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay. We don't yet have a
"dah dah dah dah dah dah dee" theme tune but we're working on it.

I can't tell an astilbe from an aranthus
but I can from an acanthus!
Old 23-06-2012, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

I have been using roundup and weedol even tried the 24 hr fast acting stuff
but its all useless.

I started off with nettles a couple of feet high across the back and was
trying to get at them early b ut now they are 10ft high and have started to
"march" across the lawn as the get bigger and more widespread.

Nothing has worked. I know putting a bonfire on the ground clears it for a
time ( and then they start again.

I have tried smothering the ground with thick carpet but they grow through.

This isn't a few dandelions in the patio - so what is there that will work?
And the green wellie chemical free brigade can come and hike in my stinging
nettles and see how they like it, if they want to object - I am pro anything
that will do the job.

Old 23-06-2012, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "sweetheart" says...

I have been using roundup and weedol even tried the 24 hr fast acting stuff
but its all useless.

Are you following the dilution and application rates accurately?

I have tried smothering the ground with thick carpet but they grow

through.

What kind of time frame?

Janet
Old 23-06-2012, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message

In article , "sweetheart" says...

I have been using roundup and weedol even tried the 24 hr fast acting
stuff
but its all useless.

Are you following the dilution and application rates accurately?

I have tried smothering the ground with thick carpet but they grow

through.

What kind of time frame?

Janet

Nettles 10ft high ??????????? !!!!!!!!!!!! -well they will flower then, and
spread by seed.
Sounds like you are in the range of the mini excavator and skip solution.

Pete

Old 23-06-2012, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/06/2012 15:01, sweetheart wrote:

[...]

The 24 hour fast acting stuff is particularly useless. You want a slow
kill over 2-3 weeks to have maximum effect using a translocating
weedkiller like glyphosate with the least amount of chemicals used.

I have cleared acres of stinging nettle and brambles with glyphosate
followed after it is tinder dry with a slash and burn. Doesn't look
pretty with scorched earth but it gets the job done. The you can pick
off any seedlings as they come up against the dark earth.

I started off with nettles a couple of feet high across the back and was
trying to get at them early b ut now they are 10ft high and have started
to "march" across the lawn as the get bigger and more widespread.

Dunno what you are doing then. I allow nettles to grow in the wilder
parts of my garden as butterfly habitat. Seldom more than 8' high. They
stay put and are relatively easy to prize out with a fork when unwanted
(although I have broken a fork once doing exactly that).

Nothing has worked. I know putting a bonfire on the ground clears it for
a time ( and then they start again.

I have tried smothering the ground with thick carpet but they grow through.

It should take them a couple of years though.

This isn't a few dandelions in the patio - so what is there that will
work? And the green wellie chemical free brigade can come and hike in my
stinging nettles and see how they like it, if they want to object - I am
pro anything that will do the job.

For a small area I would just go for physical removal they are fairly
shallow rooted and the roots are bright yellow so hard to miss.

You don't give any indication of the scale. A few square metres to an
acre I would use a hit of generic B&Q glyphosate (the stuff you buy as
concentrate and dilute to use) with a wand sprayer or backpack.

Do not buy the prediluted stuff. It is vastly overpriced impure water
with a huge profit margin. There is no real skill to mixing your own
weedkiller although failure to mix it up properly might explain your
failures. I am pretty certain everything apart from holly and ivy that I
spray with glyphosate will be dead within three weeks.

Nettles show yellow new growth just after a week and in their weakened
state physical removal becomes fairly easy.Wear gloves and chop the tops
off first to avoid getting stung unnecessarily.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 23-06-2012, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
Hello,

A quick question really. Has anyone used one of those weed torch gadgets
? - they have a gas can and are like a blow torch on a long handle

I would like to know if they are worth getting , are effective and on
what kind and how big a weed ( or weeds). Are they easy to use?

I have tried countless times to get rid of all sorts of weeds in my garden
with weed killer but the stuff seems to lack guts these days and was
wondering if fire might be the answer.

Thanks for any advice.

I hope not, I just bought glyphosate !

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 23-06-2012, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 18:07:04 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
Hello,

A quick question really. Has anyone used one of those weed torch gadgets
? - they have a gas can and are like a blow torch on a long handle

I would like to know if they are worth getting , are effective and on
what kind and how big a weed ( or weeds). Are they easy to use?

I have tried countless times to get rid of all sorts of weeds in my garden
with weed killer but the stuff seems to lack guts these days and was
wondering if fire might be the answer.

Thanks for any advice.

I hope not, I just bought glyphosate !
--

If anyone wants the super-strength stuff try:

http://tinyurl.com/6ofepdt

Bigger sizes are available. This eBay shop is "owned" by a company up
north somewhere but I can't remember it's name.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================

Old 23-06-2012, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
.. .
Hello,

A quick question really. Has anyone used one of those weed torch gadgets
? - they have a gas can and are like a blow torch on a long handle

I would like to know if they are worth getting , are effective and on
what kind and how big a weed ( or weeds). Are they easy to use?

I have tried countless times to get rid of all sorts of weeds in my
garden
with weed killer but the stuff seems to lack guts these days and was
wondering if fire might be the answer.

Thanks for any advice.

I hope not, I just bought glyphosate !
--

If anyone wants the super-strength stuff try:

http://tinyurl.com/6ofepdt

Bigger sizes are available. This eBay shop is "owned" by a company up
north somewhere but I can't remember it's name.

Now you tell us!!!

We had a look in B&Q and bought a 'Value' weedkiller. "8.4g/litre as a
ready to use aqueous solution"

and a concentrate "which contains 151.4 (13.4%w/w glyphosate as a soluble
concentrate"

(whatever that means)

Will they work or do we have to hire the flames from hell????

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 23-06-2012, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article , "sweetheart" says...

I have been using roundup and weedol even tried the 24 hr fast acting
stuff
but its all useless.

Are you following the dilution and application rates accurately?

yes, in fact I have even tried using a stronger solution.

I have tried smothering the ground with thick carpet but they grow

through.

What kind of time frame?

The carpet has been on the garden two years. It did supress some smaller
weeds and twitch grass but mostly they have just pushed their way through
in the summer. It was a thick carpet too. I really couldnt believe it.

The commercial ground cover is even more useless.

Since it is stinging nettles and they grow apace in the summer, its getting
out of hand now, I need drastic action.

Old 23-06-2012, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote in message

"Janet" wrote in message

In article , "sweetheart" says...

Nettles 10ft high ??????????? !!!!!!!!!!!! -well they will flower then,
and spread by seed.

Tell me about it, thats how its spreading across the grass ( passes for
lawn) now.

I know they say nettles like a good soil and I guess the Tamar Valley has
some of the best.

Sounds like you are in the range of the mini excavator and skip solution.

Not sure how that works?