Old 27-06-2012, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato blight

Has anyone been struck by tomato blight?
I am intersted to know if it is around in Sussex.
Thanks

Old 27-06-2012, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Ann Lancing wrote:
Has anyone been struck by tomato blight?
I am intersted to know if it is around in Sussex.

I have not seen anything on tomatoes yet, but I've spotted the odd potato
coming down with it (in Essex, and also on Merseyside, fwiw). I think the
damp weather is going to make it a problem this year, unless it clears up
smartish and stays that way.

There's a website, think if you search for "blight watch" where you can
sign up for SMS alerts when blight comes to your postal area ...
Old 27-06-2012, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Jun 2012 10:47:19 GMT, wrote:

Ann Lancing wrote:
Has anyone been struck by tomato blight?
I am intersted to know if it is around in Sussex.

I have not seen anything on tomatoes yet, but I've spotted the odd potato
coming down with it (in Essex, and also on Merseyside, fwiw). I think the
damp weather is going to make it a problem this year, unless it clears up
smartish and stays that way.

There's a website, think if you search for "blight watch" where you can
sign up for SMS alerts when blight comes to your postal area ...

Yes sign up for bligh****ch.co.uk where you will be informed of any
reports of blight in your area.

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-06-2012, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ann Lancing wrote:
Has anyone been struck by tomato blight?
I am intersted to know if it is around in Sussex.

I have not seen anything on tomatoes yet, but I've spotted the odd potato
coming down with it (in Essex, and also on Merseyside, fwiw). I think the
damp weather is going to make it a problem this year, unless it clears up
smartish and stays that way.

There's a website, think if you search for "blight watch" where you can
sign up for SMS alerts when blight comes to your postal area ...

Yes sign up for bligh****ch.co.uk where you will be informed of any
reports of blight in your area.

Pam in Bristol

Thanks - signed up :-)

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 28-06-2012, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Has anyone been struck by tomato blight?
I am intersted to know if it is around in Sussex.

I'm signed up with Bligh****ch, and in West Sussex PO18 area and today
received a 'Fulls Smiths' for blight in the area

Ros

Old 29-06-2012, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ros Butt" wrote in message
Has anyone been struck by tomato blight?
I am intersted to know if it is around in Sussex.

I'm signed up with Bligh****ch, and in West Sussex PO18 area and today
received a 'Fulls Smiths' for blight in the area

Me too - which just needs me to find out what a Full Smith Period is.

Old 29-06-2012, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote

"Ros Butt" wrote
Has anyone been struck by tomato blight?
I am intersted to know if it is around in Sussex.

I'm signed up with Bligh****ch, and in West Sussex PO18 area and today
received a 'Fulls Smiths' for blight in the area

Me too - which just needs me to find out what a Full Smith Period is.

It means the weather conditions are (have been) such that Blight is a
possibility. It needs specific conditions to be able to attack plants.

Time to get the Bordeaux Mixture out yet our outdoor Toms are not even
flowering yet, what a dreadful year this has turned into, I've never known
growing conditions as bad as this with so many types of plants just sulking.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 29-06-2012, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"David WE Roberts" wrote

"Ros Butt" wrote
Has anyone been struck by tomato blight?
I am intersted to know if it is around in Sussex.

I'm signed up with Bligh****ch, and in West Sussex PO18 area and
today received a 'Fulls Smiths' for blight in the area

Me too - which just needs me to find out what a Full Smith Period is.

It means the weather conditions are (have been) such that Blight is a
possibility. It needs specific conditions to be able to attack plants.

Time to get the Bordeaux Mixture out yet our outdoor Toms are not even
flowering yet, what a dreadful year this has turned into, I've never
known growing conditions as bad as this with so many types of plants
just sulking.

Same here, though I have only been trying to grow veg for, I think 5 years.
This year is the worst by far leaps and bounds.
I think my Arran Pilot first early potatoes might be blighted. Some of them
are black and slimy. The others, International Kidney and Maris Peer(second
early) seem OK at the moment.
The outdoor tomatoes are like yours, sulking, not a flower in sight.
I wonder how much money I have spent on seed this year, time and time
again, not mentioning seed and potting compost, growmore, chicken manure
and the like.
Blackfly on my cherry trees and none on the broad beans? Goes against
everything I learned about growing fruit and veg.

Let us all have some luck next year.
Baz
Old 29-06-2012, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote .

"Bob Hobden" wrote in

[...]

Talking to a friend with 6 allotments(!) who has been growing veg for ever
in a very professional way he thinks it's not so much the cold but the lack
of light and sun this year, it has been dull. He also has plants sulking so
I don't feel quite so bad.
Our first early potatoes are good, we planted Amandine and Leontine this
year because we couldn't get any of the other ones we like, and are rather
impressed with the yield, flavour and size. All the other ones (Kestral,
Victoria, and Celine) are looking superb and healthy, nice thick hulms with
lots of flower so I will be annoyed if they get blight.
Like you, our cherry trees are also covered in blackfly on the young tips
despite being sprayed 3 times.
Whilst the money is a concern it's all the work put into the plot with
little yield that really ... annoys me.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 30-06-2012, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

Talking to a friend with 6 allotments(!) who has been growing veg for
ever in a very professional way he thinks it's not so much the cold
but the lack of light and sun this year, it has been dull. He also has
plants sulking so I don't feel quite so bad.

Makes me feel better too.

Our first early potatoes are good, we planted Amandine and Leontine
this year because we couldn't get any of the other ones we like, and
are rather impressed with the yield, flavour and size. All the other
ones (Kestral, Victoria, and Celine) are looking superb and healthy,
nice thick hulms with lots of flower so I will be annoyed if they get
blight. Like you, our cherry trees are also covered in blackfly on the
young tips despite being sprayed 3 times.

We can prune off the young tips that have blackfly I think, when the
temperature rises. Or not? I hate even looking at them now, they look very
flea bitten and scabby.
The day I bought the trees I met a chap who also bought some. and we have
become friends. His have no blackfly but this years growth looks like it is
dying, looking like autumn leaves but hanging on, not dropping. The stems
are yellow/orange.

Whilst the money is a concern it's all the work put into the plot with
little yield that really ... annoys me.

Nicely said.......bet you were thinking other words! I know I have.

SIX allotments? How does he/she get away with THAT? Is there a waiting list
in your area? Anyhow, no buisiness of mine.

Heres hoping you have a bit more luck.
Baz

Old 30-06-2012, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 18:30:43 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Baz" wrote .

"Bob Hobden" wrote in

[...]

I tried Bordeaux mixture one year on the allotment, before the blight.
It made such a mess on the plants and fruit, and they still got
blight. It's over 10 years now since I had a decent crop of tomatoes
on the allotment. Each year I say I'll have a tomato free year but I
try again. I'm giving up the allotment now, so it won't happen there
again for me.

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello David,

Ann Lancing wrote:

Has anyone been struck by tomato blight?
I am intersted to know if it is around in Sussex.
I have not seen anything on tomatoes yet, but I've spotted the odd
potato coming down with it (in Essex, and also on Merseyside, fwiw).
I think the damp weather is going to make it a problem this year,
unless it clears up smartish and stays that way.

There's a website, think if you search for "blight watch" where you
can sign up for SMS alerts when blight comes to your postal area ...

Yes sign up for bligh****ch.co.uk where you will be informed of any
reports of blight in your area.

Pam in Bristol

Thanks - signed up :-)

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

thanks to all for your help.Ann

Old 04-07-2012, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote

SIX allotments? How does he/she get away with THAT? Is there a waiting
list
in your area? Anyhow, no buisiness of mine.

Because he has had six for decades when all around him the plots were
unused, he even used to plough the neighbouring plots to keep the weeds down
(and off his plots) and keep the grass roads cut his side of the site. The
Council say as he has had them for so long they can't do anything about it
now but agree it couldn't happen in the present situation.
The last young lady I showed round a spare plot ( 3 weeks ago) said she had
been on a waiting list for 2 weeks, but then Runnymede BC are just about the
most expensive plots in the country. Hope she lasts, but I do have some
doubts.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Blight report service(was How bad is tomato blight?) Steve Harris United Kingdom 4 04-05-2004 06:04 PM
Organic remedy for tomato blight ? Peter Richards United Kingdom 37 22-10-2003 06:22 AM
Tomato blight rile Edible Gardening 4 18-05-2003 11:20 PM
Tomato Early Blight problems gary Texas 0 08-05-2003 02:44 PM
Tomato blight Janet Margaret Castle Gardening 3 01-05-2003 06:20 AM