Old 04-07-2012, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default weeds?

We are inundated with a mess whose common name is 'mind your own business'
and I want to find a weedkiller which will kill the damned stuff, I have
tried several already but it still comes back with a vengeance!

So, what do I have to do to get ride of the damned things?

They seem to just be growing at the front and side of the house out of the
sun.

Alan

Old 04-07-2012, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 11:24:51 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

We are inundated with a mess whose common name is 'mind your own business'
and I want to find a weedkiller which will kill the damned stuff, I have
tried several already but it still comes back with a vengeance!

So, what do I have to do to get ride of the damned things?

They seem to just be growing at the front and side of the house out of the
sun.

Alan

See http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=348

My mother has it in her lawn, and flowerbeds, and paths,
and....and....and...etc.

In fact there's more MYOB in the lawn than grass, and actually it
doesn't look too bad. She's tried eradicating it with selective
weedkiller but without success. The RHS link recommends glyphosate,
but this isn't really suitable for lawns unless you intend re-laying
the whole thing as it will kill the grass as well, if you still have
any!

I have tried glyphosate, at least that is what I think it is, the one I use
is called ROUNDUP, but it doesn't seem to be very good unless I am doing
something wrong!

Alan

Old 04-07-2012, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in
:

We are inundated with a mess whose common name is 'mind your own
business' and I want to find a weedkiller which will kill the damned
stuff, I have tried several already but it still comes back with a
vengeance!

So, what do I have to do to get ride of the damned things?

They seem to just be growing at the front and side of the house out of
the sun.

Alan

I would squash them with your boot and then treat them with glyphosate.
Wait 2 or 3 weeks and cover them with carpet. Wait a month or so and repeat
if any are still showing. Examine the area well, because this little sod is
hard to see when it is starting up. A tiny green spot needs the treatment
described above. Look behind any features, such as downpipes, waterbutts or
anything else it can hide behind.
It seems like we spend more time getting rid of weeds than actually growing
our preferred garden items, but a lot of the time an hours hoeing is not
enough, is it.

Good luck, Alan.
Baz
Old 04-07-2012, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/2012 11:24, Alan Holmes wrote:
We are inundated with a mess whose common name is 'mind your own business'
and I want to find a weedkiller which will kill the damned stuff, I have
tried several already but it still comes back with a vengeance!

So, what do I have to do to get ride of the damned things?

They seem to just be growing at the front and side of the house out of the
sun.

Alan

There is also a variegated form.
It makes a very good liner for Hanging baskets, esp it you can get it up
in sheets, and not all little bits.
David @ the wet end of Swansea bay where it's still raining.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/2012 12:49, Baz wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in
:

We are inundated with a mess whose common name is 'mind your own
business' and I want to find a weedkiller which will kill the damned
stuff, I have tried several already but it still comes back with a
vengeance!

So, what do I have to do to get ride of the damned things?

They seem to just be growing at the front and side of the house out of
the sun.

Alan

I would squash them with your boot and then treat them with glyphosate.

That is reckoned to be the right way. Assuming that his
"mind-your-own-business" is the same thing as for example:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to...iness/475.html

I hate "common names" they vary too much and are very ambiguous.

Wait 2 or 3 weeks and cover them with carpet. Wait a month or so and repeat
if any are still showing. Examine the area well, because this little sod is
hard to see when it is starting up. A tiny green spot needs the treatment
described above. Look behind any features, such as downpipes, waterbutts or
anything else it can hide behind.
It seems like we spend more time getting rid of weeds than actually growing
our preferred garden items, but a lot of the time an hours hoeing is not
enough, is it.

Main problem this year is the garden too wet to stand on!
(and often too cold and windy as well)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 04-07-2012, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 12:47:43 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

'mind your own business' is resistant to all chemicals that can be
used on lawns. I quite like it in any other location. My method of
stopping it growing in the lawn was to get rid of the lawn!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 04-07-2012, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote in
news

Main problem this year is the garden too wet to stand on!
(and often too cold and windy as well)

Yes, that is a problem.
Stanley knife to make an opening for glyphosate? Shroud the nozzle of the
sprayer? Don't know.
I am not at all good with the latin names, so when I say potato or broad
bean, Am I being ambiguous? But point taken! Soleirolia soleirolii is
exact.

For example my solanum tuberosum are growing nicely. Or my Vicia faba have
Simulium. I prefer being ambiguous. It's easier. Just having a laugh,
cachinnus or cachinnatio, but that IS ambiguous?

Baz
Old 04-07-2012, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/2012 15:24, Baz wrote:
Martin Brown wrote in
news

Main problem this year is the garden too wet to stand on!
(and often too cold and windy as well)

Yes, that is a problem.
Stanley knife to make an opening for glyphosate? Shroud the nozzle of the
sprayer? Don't know.
I am not at all good with the latin names, so when I say potato or broad
bean, Am I being ambiguous? But point taken! Soleirolia soleirolii is
exact.

For example my solanum tuberosum are growing nicely. Or my Vicia faba have
Simulium. I prefer being ambiguous. It's easier. Just having a laugh,
cachinnus or cachinnatio, but that IS ambiguous?

Baz

I take it you don't know the plant Baz,
opening the stem would be a problem.
see
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/868.shtml

Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in
:

On 04/07/2012 15:24, Baz wrote:
Martin Brown wrote in
news

Main problem this year is the garden too wet to stand on!
(and often too cold and windy as well)

Yes, that is a problem.
Stanley knife to make an opening for glyphosate? Shroud the nozzle of
the sprayer? Don't know.
I am not at all good with the latin names, so when I say potato or
broad bean, Am I being ambiguous? But point taken! Soleirolia
soleirolii is exact.

For example my solanum tuberosum are growing nicely. Or my Vicia faba
have Simulium. I prefer being ambiguous. It's easier. Just having a
laugh, cachinnus or cachinnatio, but that IS ambiguous?

Baz

I take it you don't know the plant Baz,
opening the stem would be a problem.
see
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...pages/868.shtm

It is common around this area, David.
I just scrape with my boot and spray with glyphosate.
I would have thought slashing the mass with a Stanley knife would do the
trick, I will try it when I next see some.

Baz

I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? Jay Chan Gardening 56 18-07-2004 06:02 AM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? possibly OT Salty Thumb Gardening 0 22-06-2004 11:04 PM
weeds? Pam Gardening 16 25-03-2003 03:20 PM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM