Old 10-07-2012, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Floods again! At home and peed off.

On 09/07/2012 13:20, Baz wrote:
This time it will take more than a few dehumidifiers and some carpet.
Plaster work is bulging up to 600mm above floor level and we are seeing
more and more dehumidifiers as I write this..
Sh*t happens, but I would have bet a months salary that it would not be us.

Baz

I am sorry to hear of your plight. I grew up in a house that was
flooded from time to time, and know the pain you are suffering.

It puts into perspective the way that I am moaning about coping with a
garden full of swamped and rotting produce, owing to the crazy weather.
That will at least dry out on it's own.

Al.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 16:12:46 -0700 (PDT), Steerpike
wrote:

On Jul 9, 10:15*pm, Fuschia wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 13:18:16 GMT, Baz wrote:
Spider wrote in
:

On 09/07/2012 13:20, Baz wrote:
This time it will take more than a few dehumidifiers and some carpet.
Plaster work is bulging up to 600mm above floor level and we are
seeing more and more dehumidifiers as I write this..
Sh*t happens, but I would have bet a months salary that it would not
be us.

Baz

So sorry to hear this, Baz. *It sounds terrifying to me. *I can't
imagine how you're coping. *I do hope your insurance company and
council are cooperating, but somehow I doubt it. *I just hope you can
stay emotionally afloat.

I wouldn't try that betting thing, if I were you. *I only bet on
certainties .. and there aren't many of those around :~/.

As it happens my insurance company is being very good about it all. Again.
I think it is sure that our policy price will go up.by %, but after all of
this I would expect so will inflation on top.
BTW it is not the council who are liable, it is the water authorities.

I will not ever bet again. Only the Grand National.

Baz

Baz. Commiserations from me too. That is a horrid thing to happen.

If the water authorities are responsible due to their action or
inaction I would hope your insurers will try to recover their costs
from them. *If they can, then you should be able to claim damages for
inconvenience, loss of amenity etc.

Good luck!

In ten years time whats happening today, will be perhaps be 50 times
worse, and I doubt very much any of you will be whining about
insurance, as most of you wont be able to afford it! Global warming is
the single most important thing to be concerned about today, but if
posters on here are anything to go by, those responsible are going to
be able to carry on regardless no problem at all, as the majority of
people dont seem to give a shit about whats going on.

50 times worse in 10 years?

Come back in 10 years and we'll compare notes.
Until then buzz off with your friend Mike and leave us in peace.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 12:20:48 GMT, Baz wrote:

This time it will take more than a few dehumidifiers and some carpet.
Plaster work is bulging up to 600mm above floor level and we are
seeing more and more dehumidifiers as I write this..
Sh*t happens, but I would have bet a months salary that it would not
be us.

Baz

This is a lot worse than your last post indicated and I really feel
for you now. That you haven't even mentioned the garden this time is
significant as, to some extent, the garden flooding last time got as
much of your attention as the house.

If plaster is blowing to 600mm then you've got a long haul in front of
you as the walls will need to be dried out and probably replastered to
at least a meter above floor level. Then drying before redecoration.
I'm guessing your walls are plastered and not dry-lined..

Dave L has mentioned the electrics but I'm hoping that as you've got a
concrete slab ground floor (if you had wood over void you wouldn't be
back in yet after the last flood) your electrics are down the wall
from the ceiling void above which would hopefully just mean a drying
period and replacement of the socket fronts etc.

Keep us in the loop and remember that whilst we can't do anything
practical to help, we're thinking about you and your family and
sending emotional support across the internet airwaves.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Thanks for the tea and sympathy, Jake. Err, well, no tea.

Most of this mess is as you describe.
The water was not too high, in fact did not go 1/2 way above the 3"
skirting.
It has wicked up behind the plaster however. So I think the rendering has
expanded and as you say, blown the paster. THAT is the thing that bothers
me, because the inner cavity bricks will have wicked too! Bah.

This house was rewired in 1998 so no worries there, despite what
newsgroup "experts" say.

Gobaith Cymru yn cael un fedal yn llai nag yn Lloegr.
Baz
Old 10-07-2012, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 10, 11:25*am, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 03:11:09 -0700 (PDT), Steerpike

wrote:
On Jul 9, 10:58*pm, kay wrote:
Steerpike;963924 Wrote:

snipped

It is reprehensible to use someone's personal tragedy to forward your
arguments. there is a time and a place for everything.

--
kay

Sadly as no one seems very much interested in making any attempt to
address the issues surrounding global warming, things like flooding
are likely to become more and more common. This has nothing to do with
any sort of "argument" on my part but is cold hard fact, which is
supported by the first hand experience of anyone who actually notices
the increasingly strange weather patterns we have been having for the
last few years..........................

There have always been strange weather patterns. Climate is not
static.
It appears that nobody knows precisely what the weather will be in ten
years time except you. Future climate predictions are based on
computer models not cold hard facts.
--

Martin

Its astounding that given the fact that anyone can see the weather we
are having for themselves, that propaganda distributed through the
corporate media suggesting that global warming isnt a problem or
doesnt exist, is felt to have more value than the evidence provided by
first hand personal observations!

The corporate media is owned and controlled by those who make enormous
profits related to the unchecked pollution and decimation of our
planet, so are not likely to put forward anything much even vaguely
related to providing accurate facts.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2012 13:20, Baz wrote:
[...]

If things continue deteriorating at the present rate, then it would
follow that in some regions the current situation may well be 50 times
worse.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote in news:3b2d004a-b1b2-4e87-877b-
:

On Jul 9, 10:58*pm, kay wrote:
Steerpike;963924 Wrote:

snipped

It is reprehensible to use someone's personal tragedy to forward your
arguments. there is a time and a place for everything.

--
kay

What rubbish. He's just linking cause and effect.
The point is it's quite likely to happen again and Baz needs to make
his house flood resistant.

No, I don,t have to at all.

The effect goes far beyond insurance, there is also property values
and saleability to tak einto account.

Baz may find he can't get insurance or can't afford it. In that event
he could find himself homeless if there was another flood.

You are wrong. I may not be insurable to new insurance companies NOW, but
my present one has to by law insure me if circumstances remain the same as
long as I carry out their essential preventative measures. After that I can
do what I like and be insurable. This, of course is dependant on
circumstances and mine are such that I am not in a flood area. Full stop.

Everybody needs to try to work out what could happen if there was what
we now think of as extreme weather in their area and what precautions
they can take to mitigate the effects. I have already done this to my
house.

The extreme could well become the norm.

Baz
Old 10-07-2012, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-09 19:42:37 +0100, Jake said:
Keep us in the loop and remember that whilst we can't do anything
practical to help, we're thinking about you and your family and
sending emotional support across the internet airwaves.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

All I can do is second this. I am so sorry for all of you, Baz. What
a horrible experience this year has been for all of you. Please allow
yourself to realise you do have support and this WILL improve for all
of you. I feel so sadly for your family going through all this.

We are ok and thankyou for your kind words, Sacha
Baz
Old 10-07-2012, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

If you had lived in the 1960s would you have believed that another ice
age was imminent?

I remember in the late 50's we were taught that we were coming towards
the end of a small ice age, so things would get warmer and more
unreliable in the years to come.
David @ the dull but (at present) rain free end of Swansea Bay
Old 10-07-2012, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 9, 10:58 pm, kay wrote:
Steerpike;963924 Wrote:

snipped

It is reprehensible to use someone's personal tragedy to forward your
arguments. there is a time and a place for everything.

What rubbish. He's just linking cause and effect.
The point is it's quite likely to happen again and Baz needs to make
his house flood resistant.

No, I don,t have to at all.

You would be well advised to though. And I thought that insurance
companies gave such advice after a flood to try and minimise recurrence.

It sounds to me like your insurance company gave you less than stellar
advice the previous time if you have been hit hard again so quickly.

The effect goes far beyond insurance, there is also property values
and saleability to tak einto account.

Baz may find he can't get insurance or can't afford it. In that event
he could find himself homeless if there was another flood.

You are wrong. I may not be insurable to new insurance companies NOW, but
my present one has to by law insure me if circumstances remain the same as
long as I carry out their essential preventative measures. After that I can
do what I like and be insurable. This, of course is dependant on
circumstances and mine are such that I am not in a flood area. Full stop.

What a strange law. Are you sure that they cannot simply price you out
of the market for example by doubling premiums annually or requiring
"essential preventative measures" too expensive for you to comply with?

Your flood risk is clearly not normal based on the evidence so far.

Everybody needs to try to work out what could happen if there was what
we now think of as extreme weather in their area and what precautions
they can take to mitigate the effects. I have already done this to my
house.

The extreme could well become the norm.

It is likely that in a warming world the atmosphere will hold more water
and so summer storms in the UK will in future pack more punch.

Ironic that it has now been raining almost continuously since they
announced the drought orders. It is taking its toll on summer events:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...-off-1-4723067

Great Yorkshire Show went ahead today (sort of). Cleveland is cancelled.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 10-07-2012, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

[...]

And what makes matters worse is that our holiday is fooked.
We have saved so much money to all be together at 2012 O'es and I have
not seen my daughter or son for yonks. It would have been that we could
have all been together for a few days with my son, who is posted for the
duration, and daughter who was going to accommodate us all. One of us has
to be here, and guess who. Actually I never wanted to go in the first
place.

baz

Old 10-07-2012, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 9, 10:58*pm, kay wrote:
Steerpike;963924 Wrote:

[...]

How insurance companies overcome a requirement to provide cover by
law, is to set premiums so high that only a banker or MP would be able
to afford them. Once insurance premiums are set in this way it
effectively means properties are unsaleable, and I guess is something
that will be happening more and more as the effects of global warming
start to bite even harder in the coming years.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post

How insurance companies overcome a requirement to provide cover by
law, is to set premiums so high that only a banker or MP would be able
to afford them. Once insurance premiums are set in this way it
effectively means properties are unsaleable, and I guess is something
that will be happening more and more as the effects of global warming
start to bite even harder in the coming years.
Oh dear Steerpike, haven't your high priests at Greenpeace and the WWF told you that CAGW is soooooo yesterday and that they have used Rio +20 to move onto a different scare?
They have realised that,as CAGW isn't happening any more, people no longer fear it and no fear means no control. They have left a few expendable zealots behind to fight a rear guard action (perhaps your one) but when it finally collapses they will have managed to distance themselves from it.
So what I can hear you asking has replaced it? Why biodiversity and sustainable development of course.
They claim that our plant and animal species, natural resources, air and water, and our planet are in such desperate trouble that they must take control. They will then defend “biodiversity,” and to do this they will decide what “sustainable development” actually means and how it must be implemented. Oh and by the way the Rio +20 version of “biodiversity” and “sustainability” did not include humans.

Toodle pip dear boy.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/07/2012 15:49, Steerpike wrote:

How insurance companies overcome a requirement to provide cover by
law, is to set premiums so high that only a banker or MP would be able
to afford them. Once insurance premiums are set in this way it
effectively means properties are unsaleable, and I guess is something
that will be happening more and more as the effects of global warming
start to bite even harder in the coming years.

How do you keep coming up with so much Bullshit?

Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

harry wrote in news:3b2d004a-b1b2-4e87-877b-
:

The point is it's quite likely to happen again and Baz needs to make
his house flood resistant.

No, I don,t have to at all.

The effect goes far beyond insurance, there is also property values
and saleability to tak einto account.

Baz may find he can't get insurance or can't afford it. In that event
he could find himself homeless if there was another flood.

You are wrong. I may not be insurable to new insurance companies NOW, but
my present one has to by law insure me if circumstances remain the same as
long as I carry out their essential preventative measures.

That agreement between the Government and the Association of British
Insurers (ABI)is called the Statement of Principles. It's temporary, not
permanent, and due to expire in 2013.

http://tinyurl.com/6whacto

(website of the ABI)

7th March 2012

quote

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) today warned that the clock is
ticking on the need to secure a long-term sustainable flood insurance
market in the UK. Without a new approach, the ABI estimates that up to
200,000 property owners will struggle to get affordable flood insurance
when the current flood insurance agreement with the Government ends in
June 2013.

Speaking at the National Flood Forum Conference today (7 March), James
Dalton, the ABI?s Head of Property Insurance, said:

?Insurers, the Government and groups like the National Flood Forum all
want to see a sustainable, affordable long term market for flood insurance
in the UK.

?But we are running out of time to ensure that people in high flood risk
areas can continue to get affordable flood insurance when the Statement of
Principles expires in June 2013. It is widely recognised that the current
industry agreement with the Government is unsustainable, has thwarted
choice for consumers, and is well past its ?best by? date."

Janet

Old 10-07-2012, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 13:37:10 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

It sounds to me like your insurance company gave you less than stellar
advice the previous time if you have been hit hard again so quickly.

They probably weren't expecting the 1:50 year event to happen again quite
so quickly...

Your flood risk is clearly not normal based on the evidence so far.

Baz isn't in a recognised flood zone. It's unfortunate that there have
been two "freak" rain events close together. Taking the "1:50 year" event
that's just on average, nothing to say that the two events can't be 100
years apart or 24 hours.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Floods again! Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 40 09-07-2012 09:30 AM
Droughts, Floods and Food Billy[_10_] Edible Gardening 11 11-02-2011 12:55 PM
OT. Keswick floods Bob Hobden United Kingdom 1 10-01-2005 10:00 AM
Garden that floods Sue & Bob Hobden United Kingdom 10 01-04-2003 05:44 PM