Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2003, 10:09 PM
Tumbleweed

Default noise

"JJE O'Connor" wrote in message
I have moved into a house next to a main road. Does anyone have any advice
on how I can minimise traffic noise please ? I do not want a wall or

fence.
What plants are best for this - I've been thinking of a hedge in which

case
any advice on what sort of hedge please ?

Regards Jim

I remember reading somewhere that what you need is both height and density,
so that for example trees were very poor unless you had a deep wood, and
conversely a very dense hedge that was only 6ft high wouldnt be much good
either as the sound just travels over the top.

Which probably makes the dreaded leylandii your best bet. How far is it to
the rd? IF its within a few feet, probably the best you can do is make sure
the sides of the house are well blocked so the back garden is quiet!

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Go placidly amid the noise and haste. Simon Gardening 0 07-02-2004 05:02 AM
sunday noise Gilbert United Kingdom 58 05-08-2003 09:02 PM
Sprinkler system is making loud noise and stops for few seconds Bharat Texas 2 12-05-2003 10:08 PM
Accoustic landscaping for neighbor noise bentcajungirl Lawns 7 29-04-2003 06:56 PM
Waterfall Noise and Koi Carl Beyer Ponds 2 22-04-2003 03:20 PM