Old 29-09-2012, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The Crazy Year continues

On 29/09/2012 18:47, Baz wrote:
Jake wrote in
:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:50:45 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 15:01:53 +0100, Jake
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 15:47:14 +0200, Martin wrote:

There are two people posting, here who call themselves Baz.

There's also been a third who has impersonated the Baz who got flooded
out earlier in the year. Sasha got impersonated last year. There's
even a second (and totally different and non-impersonating) Jake! All
this confusion! It's almost as bad as those committees who keep
messing around with the latin names of plants before deciding that the
oak is not an ash but is a close relative of the bonny willow tree (or
something like that - haven't heard the song since I left school 30+
years ago).

Bonny birch tree?
It's a sea shanty
http://www.fanstar.co.uk/UserFiles/476/Rio%20Grande.pdf

Thanks for the clarification.

The song I remember (in part) from school was definitely NOT a sea
shanty. If only I could remember everything that went on under that
bonny willow tree!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

This is a family group, Jake.
Need to know basis, go on, tell us:-)
Baz

I wonder if it was this one

The Willow Tree

There was a youth, a cruel youth,
Who lived beside the sea,
Six lovely maidens he drownded there
By the lonely willow tree.

As he walked out with Sally Brown,
And they walked by the sea,
An evil thought it came to him,
By the lonely willow tree.

"O turn your back to the water's side,
Your face to the willow tree,
Six pretty maidens I've drowned them here,
And you the seventh shall be.

"But first take off your golden gown,
Take off your gown," said he,
"For though I am going to murder you
I would not spoil your finery."

"Then turn around, you false young man,
Then turn around," said she,
"For it is not proper that such a youth
A naked woman should see."

He turned around, that false young man,
Around about turned he,
And seizing him boldly in both her arms,
She threw him into the sea.

"Lie there, lie there, you false young man,
Lie there, lie there," said she,
"For six pretty maidens you've drowned them here,
Go keep them company!"

He sank beneath the icy waves,
He sank down into the sea.
No living thing wept a tear for him,
Save that lonely willow tree.

Old 30-09-2012, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 14:14:15 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 9/29/2012 1:34 PM, Jake wrote:

The song I remember (in part) from school was definitely NOT a sea
shanty. If only I could remember everything that went on under that
bonny willow tree!

Was it this one?

And it's home, boys, home; home I'd like to be
Home for a while in me own count-a-rie
Where the oak and the ash and the bonnie rowan tree
Are all a-growing green in the North Count-a-rie

Oh well, who wouldn't be a sailor lad a-sailing on the main
To gain the good will of his captain's good name
He came ashore one evening for to be
And that was the beginning of the whole calamity

I asked her for a candle for to light me up to bed
And likewise for a hankerchief to tie around my head
She tended to my needs like a young maid ought to do
So then I says to her, Won't you nestle with me too

She jumped into bed, making no alarm
Thinking a young sailor lad could do to her no harm
And I hugged her and I kissed her the whole night long
Till she wished the short night had been seven years long

Early next morning the sailor lad arose
And into Mary's apron threw a handful of gold
Saying, Take this, my dear, for the mischief that I've done
For tonight I fear I've left you with a daughter or a son

Well, if it be a girl child, send her out to nurse
With gold in her pocket and with silver in her purse
And if it be a boy child, he'll wear the jacket blue
And go climbing up the rigging like his daddy used to do

Come all of you fair maidens, a warning take by me
And never let a sailor lad an inch above your knee
For I trusted one and he beguiled me
He left me with a pair of twins to dangle on my knee

Hey! That's it save that we had a "willow" not a "rowan" tree and the
"Old" rather than "North". Thanks

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 30-09-2012, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 22:14:59 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

[...]

A salutary tale but not nearly school boyish enough!

Cheers, Jake

This crazy year David United Kingdom 4 02-01-2015 10:41 AM
It's been a crazy year in the garden Winsford United Kingdom 0 26-09-2007 06:42 PM
My search for Tall Living Fence continues Lecher9000 Gardening 5 14-10-2003 09:12 PM
The obstructionism continues Le Messurier alt.forestry 0 16-08-2003 01:02 AM
My Bad Fish Luck Continues Guys. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 10 04-02-2003 02:23 PM