Old 28-09-2012, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default The Crazy Year continues

Baz wrote:
Still not had any tomatoes yet! A couple are going pink now but it will
be touch and go if we get any before the cold weather / frosts kill them
off. They were hit badly with blight earlier in the year and I managed
to nurse some plants back to health with some anti-fungal spray but they
are fruiting very late.

What I would give to have a nice fat and juicy vine of red tomtoes in the
garden......Oooh, those days last year when we only had just a moderate
crop, and the freezers were full of broad beans, runner beans and deciding
which of them to keep or dry to make the room for all of the tomates and
recipes with a view to freezing them.

At least this makes me feel better, in lieu of my beans and courgettes ...
I have just picked 2 huge punnets of tomatoes! (Which are sulky and jumping
off the vines at me, cos I haven't picked any for a week, and even then I
was behind with the picking, so there are a number of split ones today!)

I've spent the morning polishing my tomatoes - this is /not/ a euphemism! -
to get rid of the sooty mildew, and I've sliced into my thumb with a serrated
blade whilst trimming the plants down (2 completely removed plants now, and
2 seriously trimmed), but I think they'll be going on for a while, touch wood.
(Some are even trying to flower again, which is amusing to watch - I am prone
to letting them go for it, just in case we get a mild autumn, I've never been
able to bring myself to removing flowers and the rest don't seem to be having
any trouble ripening with or without them)

Old 28-09-2012, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
[...]

Am I right in thinking that split tomatoes have had erratic water/feed?

I've spent the morning polishing my tomatoes - this is /not/ a
euphemism! - to get rid of the sooty mildew, and I've sliced into my
thumb with a serrated blade whilst trimming the plants down (2
completely removed plants now, and 2 seriously trimmed), but I think
they'll be going on for a while, touch wood. (Some are even trying to
flower again, which is amusing to watch - I am prone to letting them
go for it, just in case we get a mild autumn, I've never been able to
bring myself to removing flowers and the rest don't seem to be having
any trouble ripening with or without them)

Removing flowers/stripping, allows energy into the already set fruit.

Sorry to hear about your thumb, you must be in pain.
Baz
Old 28-09-2012, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
At least this makes me feel better, in lieu of my beans and courgettes
... I have just picked 2 huge punnets of tomatoes! (Which are sulky
and jumping off the vines at me, cos I haven't picked any for a week,
and even then I was behind with the picking, so there are a number of
split ones today!)

Am I right in thinking that split tomatoes have had erratic water/feed?

Specifically watering following not watering. But also not picking and
continuing to water. We should have turned the water down as the temp
dropped

Removing flowers/stripping, allows energy into the already set fruit.

I know the theory. It just feels wrong to be so mean to the poor plants.

Sorry to hear about your thumb, you must be in pain.

It's sore - it's on my spacebar bit of thumb!! - but not too bad. It
hurt a bit when I got butternut squash juice in it!
Old 29-09-2012, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 23:49:11 +0200, Martin wrote:

On 28 Sep 2012 18:47:42 GMT, wrote:

Baz wrote:
At least this makes me feel better, in lieu of my beans and
courgettes ... I have just picked 2 huge punnets of tomatoes!
(Which are sulky and jumping off the vines at me, cos I haven't
picked any for a week, and even then I was behind with the
picking, so there are a number of split ones today!)
Am I right in thinking that split tomatoes have had erratic
water/feed?

Specifically watering following not watering. But also not picking
and continuing to water. We should have turned the water down as the
temp dropped

It was covered in Beechgrove Garden. Every Thursday at 7:30pm on BBC2
Scotland, and repeated on Sunday evening.

Last episode is next Thursday. the repeat is on the following Sunday
afternoon.

iPlayer is the thing I use on my pc, and you can watch any BBC programme
anytime you want. Retention is one month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

Just a bit of info for those people who don't already know about it.

Cheers
Baz

Old 29-09-2012, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:22:27 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
m:

Baz wrote:
[...]

I posted the link to the actual programme on iPlayer, Baz

Sorry. oops. I didn't see it and still can't

Baz

Old 29-09-2012, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/09/2012 11:57, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:56:15 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
[...]

I posted it yesterday . Sacha saw it.

It's OK posting iplayer links, but what is the cost of watching a full prog.
People with limited usage are never told how much band width they are
using to watch a prog.
Old 29-09-2012, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

iPlayer is the thing I use on my pc, and you can watch any BBC
programme anytime you want. Retention is one month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

Just a bit of info for those people who don't already know about it.

I posted the link to the actual programme on iPlayer, Baz

Sorry. oops. I didn't see it and still can't

I posted it yesterday . Sacha saw it.

Whatever Sacha saw is great. iPlayer however is for all people.

Well, there is no harm done, it's only a link.
I did not see it, and possibly some others did not see it.
Now others who didn't catch your url can now.
It is not a competition you know! It is all about helping others.

Baz
Old 29-09-2012, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in
:

On 29/09/2012 11:57, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:56:15 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:22:27 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
:

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 23:49:11 +0200, Martin
wrote:

On 28 Sep 2012 18:47:42 GMT,
wrote:

Baz wrote:
[...]

Well, I am so sorry for posting the link. The next time I feel like
helping somebody I will think again.

Baz
Old 29-09-2012, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 11:26:17 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
m:

iPlayer is the thing I use on my pc, and you can watch any BBC
programme anytime you want. Retention is one month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

Just a bit of info for those people who don't already know about it.

I posted the link to the actual programme on iPlayer, Baz

Sorry. oops. I didn't see it and still can't

I posted it yesterday . Sacha saw it.

Whatever Sacha saw is great. iPlayer however is for all people.

That was the reason I posted it here.

Well, there is no harm done, it's only a link.
I did not see it, and possibly some others did not see it.
Now others who didn't catch your url can now.
It is not a competition you know! It is all about helping others.

Did you miss Sacha's reply to your post, as well as missing my post?

I must have done, I am stupid, not blind. -

Baz
Old 29-09-2012, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It's OK posting iplayer links, but what is the cost of watching a full
prog. People with limited usage are never told how much band width
they are using to watch a prog.

Well, I am so sorry for posting the link. The next time I feel like
helping somebody I will think again.

Maybe it is time Dave got a new internet provider?

Nothing wrong with my IP. in fact one of the "Which" best buys.
I have a car with no limit on it's mileage, but I still like to know how
far a journey will be before I set out.
It shouldn't be hard for Prog makers or someone to have the size posted
on the cover page or after the Prog heading.
Not everyone has unlimited fibre optic, and a bottomless purse.

Old 29-09-2012, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 11:45:42 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
m:

[...]

I think it is the problem of there being two Bazs posting here again
:-)

Eh?
Old 29-09-2012, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/09/2012 14:45, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 13:34:31 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

It's OK posting iplayer links, but what is the cost of watching a full
prog. People with limited usage are never told how much band width
they are using to watch a prog.

Well, I am so sorry for posting the link. The next time I feel like
helping somebody I will think again.

Maybe it is time Dave got a new internet provider?

Nothing wrong with my IP. in fact one of the "Which" best buys.

based on what criteria?

I have a car with no limit on it's mileage, but I still like to know how
far a journey will be before I set out.
It shouldn't be hard for Prog makers or someone to have the size posted
on the cover page or after the Prog heading.
Not everyone has unlimited fibre optic, and a bottomless purse.

How much can you download without being charged extra?

More than enough for my normal usage, I've gone over once in almost 3 years.
Old 29-09-2012, 06:30 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post

It's OK posting iplayer links, but what is the cost of watching a full
prog. People with limited usage are never told how much band width
they are using to watch a prog.

Well, I am so sorry for posting the link. The next time I feel like
helping somebody I will think again.

Maybe it is time Dave got a new internet provider?

Nothing wrong with my IP. in fact one of the "Which" best buys.
I have a car with no limit on it's mileage, but I still like to know how
far a journey will be before I set out.
It shouldn't be hard for Prog makers or someone to have the size posted
on the cover page or after the Prog heading.
Not everyone has unlimited fibre optic, and a bottomless purse.
Even the people with "unlimited" broadband may find they have a "fair usage policy". Ours works out as an average of 2Gb a day. Whether that's good or not depends on how many people you have to share with (in particular, how many teenagers).
__________________
Old 29-09-2012, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:50:45 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 15:01:53 +0100, Jake
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 15:47:14 +0200, Martin wrote:

There are two people posting, here who call themselves Baz.

There's also been a third who has impersonated the Baz who got flooded
out earlier in the year. Sasha got impersonated last year. There's
even a second (and totally different and non-impersonating) Jake! All
this confusion! It's almost as bad as those committees who keep
messing around with the latin names of plants before deciding that the
oak is not an ash but is a close relative of the bonny willow tree (or
something like that - haven't heard the song since I left school 30+
years ago).

Bonny birch tree?
It's a sea shanty
http://www.fanstar.co.uk/UserFiles/476/Rio%20Grande.pdf

Thanks for the clarification.

The song I remember (in part) from school was definitely NOT a sea
shanty. If only I could remember everything that went on under that
bonny willow tree!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

This is a family group, Jake.
Need to know basis, go on, tell us:-)
Baz
Old 29-09-2012, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/29/2012 1:34 PM, Jake wrote:

The song I remember (in part) from school was definitely NOT a sea
shanty. If only I could remember everything that went on under that
bonny willow tree!

Was it this one?

And it's home, boys, home; home I'd like to be
Home for a while in me own count-a-rie
Where the oak and the ash and the bonnie rowan tree
Are all a-growing green in the North Count-a-rie

Oh well, who wouldn't be a sailor lad a-sailing on the main
To gain the good will of his captain's good name
He came ashore one evening for to be
And that was the beginning of the whole calamity

I asked her for a candle for to light me up to bed
And likewise for a hankerchief to tie around my head
She tended to my needs like a young maid ought to do
So then I says to her, Won't you nestle with me too

She jumped into bed, making no alarm
Thinking a young sailor lad could do to her no harm
And I hugged her and I kissed her the whole night long
Till she wished the short night had been seven years long

Early next morning the sailor lad arose
And into Mary's apron threw a handful of gold
Saying, Take this, my dear, for the mischief that I've done
For tonight I fear I've left you with a daughter or a son

Well, if it be a girl child, send her out to nurse
With gold in her pocket and with silver in her purse
And if it be a boy child, he'll wear the jacket blue
And go climbing up the rigging like his daddy used to do

Come all of you fair maidens, a warning take by me
And never let a sailor lad an inch above your knee
For I trusted one and he beguiled me
He left me with a pair of twins to dangle on my knee

This crazy year David United Kingdom 4 02-01-2015 10:41 AM
It's been a crazy year in the garden Winsford United Kingdom 0 26-09-2007 06:42 PM
My search for Tall Living Fence continues Lecher9000 Gardening 5 14-10-2003 09:12 PM
The obstructionism continues Le Messurier alt.forestry 0 16-08-2003 01:02 AM
My Bad Fish Luck Continues Guys. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 10 04-02-2003 02:23 PM