Old 28-09-2012, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Some things never change!

I am very lucky to work for a firm that allows me to use the transport for
my own use, by arrangement of course.
A co-worker and me have ferried some lost count of loads of free manure to
the half allotment and to the house.
It is absolultely amazing how many "friends" I could have now!
They think because it is free that they can give me small talk and
perseuade me into giving them some for free.
The word free is a bit misleading. I have to buy the fuel to power both
vehicles, AND the insurance for personal use of 2 of them. Now that makes
it all a bit iffy as to whether it is economical.
For some fat tart to have a go at me with her giant husband, and then asks
for my wares is a big NO.

As I said, some things never change.
Baz
Old 28-09-2012, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 13:52:31 GMT, Baz wrote:

I am very lucky to work for a firm that allows me to use the transport
for my own use, by arrangement of course.
A co-worker and me have ferried some lost count of loads of free
manure to the half allotment and to the house.
It is absolultely amazing how many "friends" I could have now!
They think because it is free that they can give me small talk and
perseuade me into giving them some for free.
The word free is a bit misleading. I have to buy the fuel to power
both vehicles, AND the insurance for personal use of 2 of them. Now
that makes it all a bit iffy as to whether it is economical.
For some fat tart to have a go at me with her giant husband, and then
asks for my wares is a big NO.

I hope "wares" isn't a euphemism :-)

As I said, some things never change.

It's best to ignore people like that. The world is full of them.

What do you do with a guy who plants the whole of his allotment with
potatoes and then decides he doesn't want to be a member anymore?

I would say leave them, and reap. There could be a reason for leaving them
though. A human story perhaps. A tragedy. We have all had that!

Baz
Old 28-09-2012, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote

Baz wrote:

[...]

Probably all had Blight so with them being left in the ground the person
that takes over will not be able to grow potatoes or tomatoes for a few
years without them getting blight and sending it all over the site. Get
together with other plot holders and dig them all up now and dispose of any
rotten ones and the surrounding soil too, it's in everyone's interest.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-09-2012, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

Probably all had Blight so with them being left in the ground the person
that takes over will not be able to grow potatoes or tomatoes for a few
years without them getting blight and sending it all over the site. Get
together with other plot holders and dig them all up now and dispose of any
rotten ones and the surrounding soil too, it's in everyone's interest.

That's not the case. Blight does not overwinter in the soil in
the UK. It overwinters in a wide variety of plants, including
wild ones, and is carried by the wind. So it makes little
difference.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-09-2012, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Martin" wrote

Baz wrote:

[...]

More or less my answer to Baz.

and sending it all over the site. Get
together with other plot holders and dig them all up now and dispose of
any
rotten ones and the surrounding soil too, it's in everyone's interest.

Unfortunately most of the other plot holders couldn't give a toss.

They will next season! And you know what to tell them when they ask why.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-09-2012, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Martin" wrote ...

and sending it all over the site. Get
together with other plot holders and dig them all up now and dispose of
any
rotten ones and the surrounding soil too, it's in everyone's interest.

Unfortunately most of the other plot holders couldn't give a toss.

They will next season! And you know what to tell them when they ask why.

All that needs to be done is that the wildings be cut down before
the blight starts - that may have to be done a couple of times,
but it shouldn't take long. And it's needed to stop the annual
and biennial weeds from seeding everywhere, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-09-2012, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
What do you do with a guy who plants the whole of his allotment with
potatoes and then decides he doesn't want to be a member anymore?

Harvest them for him and start a chip farm?

Old 28-09-2012, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
Nobody can grow potatoes there for the next four years

Rubbish. It may not be /advised/ to, but anyone inheritting an allotment
won't have the foggiest what has been planted there for past four years.
Old 28-09-2012, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in news:acm8lkFu2dfU2
@mid.individual.net:

Martin wrote:
Nobody can grow potatoes there for the next four years

Rubbish. It may not be /advised/ to, but anyone inheritting an allotment
won't have the foggiest what has been planted there for past four years.

The fog can become a mist if you ask the right person, or even clearer than
that! So, rubbish, or not so much? -

Baz
Old 28-09-2012, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/09/2012 22:07, Martin wrote:
On 28 Sep 2012 18:30:12 GMT, wrote:

Martin wrote:
Nobody can grow potatoes there for the next four years

Rubbish. It may not be /advised/ to, but anyone inheritting an allotment
won't have the foggiest what has been planted there for past four years.

Oh yes they will. My wife will tell them.

So if you take over an allotment you might find Onion rust, blight, Club
root, Potato eel worm, wire worm, Carrot root fly, Onion white rot, etc.
etc.
Not worth having an alotment is it.

Old 28-09-2012, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
I am very lucky to work for a firm that allows me to use the transport for
my own use, by arrangement of course.
A co-worker and me have ferried some lost count of loads of free manure to
the half allotment and to the house.
It is absolultely amazing how many "friends" I could have now!
They think because it is free that they can give me small talk and
perseuade me into giving them some for free.
The word free is a bit misleading. I have to buy the fuel to power both
vehicles, AND the insurance for personal use of 2 of them. Now that makes
it all a bit iffy as to whether it is economical.

If your fellow allotment users are swarming over you for free manure, just
explain what you said here, and charge them less than they would have to pay
normally, and they will still be your friends.

For some fat tart to have a go at me with her giant husband, and then asks
for my wares is a big NO.

I object to that description, whether you liked her or not, that is out of
order. You are calling her a prostitute - hope she doesn't read the group
;-) or her giant husband either..
I know you think you are talking to friends on here, but there are many
others who will read this via gardenbanter perhaps and I'm sure we have lots
of lurkers.
Just be careful about insulting a woman online who has a giant husband who
has an allotment where you are and might be lurking for one thing and the
other thing is I'd prefer it if you didn't call any woman by that sort of
name. Fat tart! FGS, Baz.
That's well out of order.

Old 28-09-2012, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
Nobody can grow potatoes there for the next four years

Rubbish. It may not be /advised/ to, but anyone inheritting an allotment
won't have the foggiest what has been planted there for past four years.

Oh yes they will. My wife will tell them.

Then remind me to ask your wife next year when I've totally forgotten what
I planted last year, let alone for the last four ...
Old 28-09-2012, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Martin" wrote ...

and sending it all over the site. Get
together with other plot holders and dig them all up now and dispose of
any
rotten ones and the surrounding soil too, it's in everyone's interest.

Unfortunately most of the other plot holders couldn't give a toss.

They will next season! And you know what to tell them when they ask why.

All that needs to be done is that the wildings be cut down before
the blight starts - that may have to be done a couple of times,
but it shouldn't take long. And it's needed to stop the annual
and biennial weeds from seeding everywhere, too.

Unless told and told in no uncertain terms why the new plot holder won't
know to do that. Sounds like the old gardeners on Martin's site don't know
that either.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 29-09-2012, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

All that needs to be done is that the wildings be cut down before
the blight starts - that may have to be done a couple of times,
but it shouldn't take long. And it's needed to stop the annual
and biennial weeds from seeding everywhere, too.

Unless told and told in no uncertain terms why the new plot holder won't
know to do that. Sounds like the old gardeners on Martin's site don't know
that either.

It's far more likely that a neighbouring plot holder would just do
it quietly one day.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-09-2012, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

The reason for crop rotation isn't just to avoid blight.

It is a reason, but not the main reason?
Other pests and diseases?
Am I right in saying that for eg: bean plants fix nitrogen into the soil
for next years brassiccas? then potatoes, then carrots and parsnip?

A lot of questions from me. Most of us cannot have a 4 year rotation, well,
me anyway.

I often find that going back to basics work.

Baz