Old 24-10-2012, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hazel

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
At around this time of year I start to notice Beech mast in the
woods, and nuts on the Hazel.

Walking the dogs the other day I realise there was nothing like it
about. Now the Beech are in an avenue of very tall trees, so not much
chance of detailed inspection there, but the Hazel is everywhere, and
a variety of conditions, juvenile, pollarded, standard, damaged
standard with low re-growth.

I didn't see a single hazel nut on the way home, and I checked every
tree.

Has anyone else noticed this? Was it the spring? or the wet
conditions (I can't see it being the wet summer)

Late frost.

I have two hazels for many years, and never had a nut. Do they come in
male/female form? If so I must have two boys :-(

Yes. Are they under other trees? If so, they may not flower.
If I recall, the nuts will develop only if fertilised.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-10-2012, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 02:01:00 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
At around this time of year I start to notice Beech mast in the
woods, and nuts on the Hazel.

Walking the dogs the other day I realise there was nothing like it
about. Now the Beech are in an avenue of very tall trees, so not much
chance of detailed inspection there, but the Hazel is everywhere, and
a variety of conditions, juvenile, pollarded, standard, damaged
standard with low re-growth.

I didn't see a single hazel nut on the way home, and I checked every
tree.

Has anyone else noticed this? Was it the spring? or the wet
conditions (I can't see it being the wet summer)

I have two hazels for many years, and never had a nut. Do they come in
male/female form? If so I must have two boys :-

Hazels have both male and female flowers on the same bush.

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-10-2012, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
At around this time of year I start to notice Beech mast in the
woods, and nuts on the Hazel.

Walking the dogs the other day I realise there was nothing like it
about. Now the Beech are in an avenue of very tall trees, so not much
chance of detailed inspection there, but the Hazel is everywhere, and
a variety of conditions, juvenile, pollarded, standard, damaged
standard with low re-growth.

I didn't see a single hazel nut on the way home, and I checked every
tree.

Has anyone else noticed this? Was it the spring? or the wet
conditions (I can't see it being the wet summer)

I have two hazels for many years, and never had a nut. Do they come in
male/female form? If so I must have two boys :-

Hazels have both male and female flowers on the same bush.

Pam in Bristol

The male flowers are the catkins, whilst the female flowers are small,
they are just buds with small red threads coming out of them,
http://essenceofwild.co.uk/2011/03/scarlet-starbursts/

Old 24-10-2012, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

I have two hazels for many years, and never had a nut. Do they come in
male/female form? If so I must have two boys :-(-

Yes.

This needs clarification. The flowers come in male and female forms -
catkins are male, the females are little red tufts - but both male and
female flowers are on the same tree.

I don't know the cause, but in my experience a lot of hazels don't
fruit.

My memory was (partly) at fault. Clapham, Tutin and Warburg say
that the pistil and stamens may or may not mature at the same
time, so some clones of hazel will be self-sterile. Even in a
mixture, some may not fruit if the pistil matures at a time when
there are no mature anthers in the vicinity.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-10-2012, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Christina Websell
writes
I didn't see a single hazel nut on the way home, and I checked every
tree.

Should think it's the same reason that there are very few pears or
apples about. Either they had such a good year last year that they
exhausted themselves or this year the weather has been too awful.

Travelling around the Chilterns I have seen very few nuts and sloes this
year too though my crategus crux-galli was covered in huge berries
until last Saturday when an army of blackbirds, pigeons and all manner
or smaller birds descended on it and they have stripped the lot in three
days.

........................ Now where's my Bird Trust survey on birds and
berries gone, so i can fill it in !
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 24-10-2012, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Christina Websell
writes
I didn't see a single hazel nut on the way home, and I checked every
tree.

Should think it's the same reason that there are very few pears or
apples about. Either they had such a good year last year that they
exhausted themselves or this year the weather has been too awful.

I've noticed that there's less fruit visible on whitebeams this year -
an obstacle to me improving my understanding of the group.

Old 25-10-2012, 11:00 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy[_2_] View Post

Travelling around the Chilterns I have seen very few nuts and sloes this
year too though my crategus crux-galli was covered in huge berries
until last Saturday when an army of blackbirds, pigeons and all manner
or smaller birds descended on it and they have stripped the lot in three
days.

........................ Now where's my Bird Trust survey on birds and
berries gone, so i can fill it in !
My filling in is going to be a dead loss - at the moment the blackbirds are busy with the apples and mulberries - and I've been told not to include any trees where I am in competition with the birds ...

The rosehips are being taken by greenfinches. Otherwise I don't expect any berry/bird activity until the mistle thrushes arrive for the holly.
__________________
Old 25-10-2012, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , kay
writes
My filling in is going to be a dead loss - at the moment the blackbirds
are busy with the apples and mulberries - and I've been told not to
include any trees where I am in competition with the birds ...

The rosehips are being taken by greenfinches. Otherwise I don't expect
any berry/bird activity until the mistle thrushes arrive for the holly.

Well i can recommend growing a cockspur hawthorn! The berries are at
least twice the size of ordinary hawthorn though the needles and the
leaves are also twice as big. The colour is fantastic at the moment as
well, the leaves being much more rounded and not cut like the hedging
stuff means that the colours shine out.
--
Janet Tweedy