Old 30-09-2012, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Default Hazel

At around this time of year I start to notice Beech mast in the
woods, and nuts on the Hazel.

Walking the dogs the other day I realise there was nothing like it
about. Now the Beech are in an avenue of very tall trees, so not much
chance of detailed inspection there, but the Hazel is everywhere, and
a variety of conditions, juvenile, pollarded, standard, damaged
standard with low re-growth.

I didn't see a single hazel nut on the way home, and I checked every
tree.

Has anyone else noticed this? Was it the spring? or the wet
conditions (I can't see it being the wet summer)
Old 30-09-2012, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob" wrote ...

At around this time of year I start to notice Beech mast in the
woods, and nuts on the Hazel.

Walking the dogs the other day I realise there was nothing like it
about. Now the Beech are in an avenue of very tall trees, so not much
chance of detailed inspection there, but the Hazel is everywhere, and
a variety of conditions, juvenile, pollarded, standard, damaged
standard with low re-growth.

I didn't see a single hazel nut on the way home, and I checked every
tree.

Has anyone else noticed this? Was it the spring? or the wet
conditions (I can't see it being the wet summer)

Noticed some nuts last week on a tree on our allotment site, never noticed
them before. However we have had a very dry summer here and it's only the
last couple of months when it's rained at all.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 30-09-2012, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, September 30, 2012 1:04:48 PM UTC+1, Bob wrote:
At around this time of year I start to notice Beech mast in the

woods, and nuts on the Hazel.

Walking the dogs the other day I realise there was nothing like it

about. Now the Beech are in an avenue of very tall trees, so not much

chance of detailed inspection there, but the Hazel is everywhere, and

a variety of conditions, juvenile, pollarded, standard, damaged

standard with low re-growth.

I didn't see a single hazel nut on the way home, and I checked every

tree.

Has anyone else noticed this? Was it the spring? or the wet

conditions (I can't see it being the wet summer)

Baz climate change means far more things alter, than the frequency of your house getting flooded!

Its astounding that those responsible have been able to generate such effective propaganda on this subject, that it seems very clear very few people understand the true facts.

Old 30-09-2012, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

?
Old 30-09-2012, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

.... However we have had a very dry summer here and it's only the
last couple of months when it's rained at all.

***Bloody Hell***!

J.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello All

In article ,
Bob wrote:
At around this time of year I start to notice Beech mast in the
woods, and nuts on the Hazel.

Walking the dogs the other day I realise there was nothing like it
about. Now the Beech are in an avenue of very tall trees, so not much
chance of detailed inspection there, but the Hazel is everywhere, and
a variety of conditions, juvenile, pollarded, standard, damaged
standard with low re-growth.

I didn't see a single hazel nut on the way home, and I checked every
tree.

Has anyone else noticed this? Was it the spring? or the wet
conditions (I can't see it being the wet summer)

In my garden there were a lot, but the grey squirrels have already cleared
them !

John

--
John Rye
Hadleigh IPSWICH England
Old 01-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Registered User

Location: California

It can be a weather problem..if it is too cold, too windy, or too wet when the bees are out maybe they just aren't getting properly pollinated..
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 01-10-2012, 11:57 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen73 View Post
It can be a weather problem..if it is too cold, too windy, or too wet when the bees are out maybe they just aren't getting properly pollinated..
If hazel were insect pollinated I can see that could be a problem.

But of course hazel is wind pollinated.
__________________
Old 01-10-2012, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Rye" wrote
Hello All
Bob wrote:
At around this time of year I start to notice Beech mast in the
woods, and nuts on the Hazel.

snipped a bit
I didn't see a single hazel nut on the way home, and I checked every
tree.

Has anyone else noticed this? Was it the spring? or the wet
conditions (I can't see it being the wet summer)

In my garden there were a lot, but the grey squirrels have already
cleared
them !

Yes, here too. The squirrels always arrive and steal most of the nuts
before they seem ripe enough for gathering any ourselves. I always have
good intentions of trying to get there first but never manage to.

Next spring there'll be the usual crop of hazel seedlings popping up all
over the garden.

--
Sue (Norfolk)

Old 01-10-2012, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Oct 1, 10:10*am, John Rye wrote:

In my garden there were a lot, but the grey squirrels have already cleared
them !

I wonder about squzzels, but there don't seem any more about than
other years. But it's as good an answer as any!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob" wrote in message
At around this time of year I start to notice Beech mast in the
woods, and nuts on the Hazel.

Walking the dogs the other day I realise there was nothing like it
about. Now the Beech are in an avenue of very tall trees, so not much
chance of detailed inspection there, but the Hazel is everywhere, and
a variety of conditions, juvenile, pollarded, standard, damaged
standard with low re-growth.

I didn't see a single hazel nut on the way home, and I checked every
tree.

Has anyone else noticed this? Was it the spring? or the wet
conditions (I can't see it being the wet summer)

Locally there were nuts on the roadside hazel bushes, maybe the squirrels
have had them by now.

Being on the roadside, the local kids may have helped themselves.

Bill

Old 01-10-2012, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 Bob wrote:

At around this time of year I start to notice Beech mast in the
woods, and nuts on the Hazel.

Walking the dogs the other day I realise there was nothing like it
about. Now the Beech are in an avenue of very tall trees, so not much
chance of detailed inspection there, but the Hazel is everywhere, and
a variety of conditions, juvenile, pollarded, standard, damaged
standard with low re-growth.

I didn't see a single hazel nut on the way home, and I checked every
tree.

Has anyone else noticed this? Was it the spring? or the wet
conditions (I can't see it being the wet summer)

My hazel nuts were over more than a month ago.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 01-10-2012, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 Bob wrote:

In my garden there were a lot, but the grey squirrels have already cleared
them !

I wonder about squzzels, but there don't seem any more about than
other years. But it's as good an answer as any!

There are lots of young squirrels around here. Many are getting run over
by cars. Between Caversham and Wokingham yesterday I must have counted
at least half a dozen, not including the live ones who only just skipped
out of the way.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 02-10-2012, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 23:53:11 +0100, David Rance wrote:

There are lots of young squirrels around here. Many are getting run
over by cars. Between Caversham and Wokingham yesterday I must have
counted at least half a dozen, ...

Best place for grey squirrels, between tarmac and rubber.

... not including the live ones who only just skipped out of the way.

Must try harder. Rabbits and pheasants make up most of the road kill
around here, normally half a dozen or so corpses on the 2.5 miles down to
town.

As for natures harvest, our rowans are normally red with berriers at this
time of year. You'd be hard pressed to find more than a dozen small
bunches across all of them this year. The red and black currants and the
gooseberries hardly produced anything either. It's going to be a tough
winter for wildlife even if it's a mild one.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 24-10-2012, 02:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob" wrote in message
At around this time of year I start to notice Beech mast in the
woods, and nuts on the Hazel.

Walking the dogs the other day I realise there was nothing like it
about. Now the Beech are in an avenue of very tall trees, so not much
chance of detailed inspection there, but the Hazel is everywhere, and
a variety of conditions, juvenile, pollarded, standard, damaged
standard with low re-growth.

I didn't see a single hazel nut on the way home, and I checked every
tree.

Has anyone else noticed this? Was it the spring? or the wet
conditions (I can't see it being the wet summer)

I have two hazels for many years, and never had a nut. Do they come in
male/female form? If so I must have two boys :-(