Old 03-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Registered User

Smile Weed Contol Fabric

I'm a new allotment owner and looking for advice regarding weed control fabric. I've weeded and dug over a section of the plot and thought to buy some weed control fabric to stop the weeds coming up and wind disperesed seeds landing and germinating i the soil. I've come across a range of this stuff online at Weed Stop Fabric | Landscape Weed Control | Weed Fabric and it seems to be the good enough to do the job but I would appreciate any views on it before I make a purchase. Any comments will be much appreciated.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weed Contol Fabric

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 13:23:02 +0000, BertB
wrote:

I'm a new allotment owner and looking for advice regarding weed control
fabric. I've weeded and dug over a section of the plot and thought to
buy some weed control fabric to stop the weeds coming up and wind
disperesed seeds landing and germinating i the soil. I've come across a
range of this stuff online at 'Weed Stop Fabric | Landscape Weed Control
| Weed Fabric' (http://tinyurl.com/ybqdujj) and it seems to be the good
enough to do the job but I would appreciate any views on it before I
make a purchase. Any comments will be much appreciated.

The fabric works very well but I find the need for the exact
positioning of plants to be hard work.

Steve

Old 03-10-2012, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , BertB.ae203b8
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

--
BertB

Usual recommendations for large areas a

1) Old carpet upside down (I would suggest woolen carpet, not sure about
modern man made fibre things)
2) Thick black polythene

It really depends on how much you want to grow next year, but I would
have thought a good solid covering over the winter would help,
especially as you have dug it over and broken it up.

I'm not a great lover of weed control fabric after this year. I put
some down on the paths through the fruit cage and whilst it stopped
weeds coming through there, round the edges grass developed, which
spread across the fabric and rooted into the surface!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 03-10-2012, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/03/2012 06:31 PM, Roger Tonkin wrote:
I'm not a great lover of weed control fabric after this year. I put
some down on the paths through the fruit cage and whilst it stopped
weeds coming through there, round the edges grass developed, which
spread across the fabric and rooted into the surface!

Yes I've found that to be the main problem with it. Couch in particular
can be very difficult to get out.

To the OP, what you've selected looks like it ought do the job.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/10/2012 14:23, BertB wrote:
I'm a new allotment owner and looking for advice regarding weed control
fabric. I've weeded and dug over a section of the plot and thought to
buy some weed control fabric to stop the weeds coming up and wind
disperesed seeds landing and germinating i the soil. I've come across a
range of this stuff online at 'Weed Stop Fabric | Landscape Weed Control
| Weed Fabric' (http://tinyurl.com/ybqdujj) and it seems to be the good
enough to do the job but I would appreciate any views on it before I
make a purchase. Any comments will be much appreciated.

You don't say where you are but if you live in an area that isn't to wet
then I'd use ordinary 1.5 meter polythene, this will smother any weed
seedlings that try to grow, and will help the soil warm in the spring,
when you want to plant I'd remove the plastic and plant in the soil.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/10/2012 17:50, Emery Davis wrote:
On 10/03/2012 06:31 PM, Roger Tonkin wrote:
I'm not a great lover of weed control fabric after this year. I put
some down on the paths through the fruit cage and whilst it stopped
weeds coming through there, round the edges grass developed, which
spread across the fabric and rooted into the surface!

Yes I've found that to be the main problem with it. Couch in particular
can be very difficult to get out.

To the OP, what you've selected looks like it ought do the job.

If you read the OP' post he has yet to chose anything
Old 03-10-2012, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/03/2012 07:16 PM, David Hill wrote:
On 03/10/2012 17:50, Emery Davis wrote:
On 10/03/2012 06:31 PM, Roger Tonkin wrote:
I'm not a great lover of weed control fabric after this year. I put
some down on the paths through the fruit cage and whilst it stopped
weeds coming through there, round the edges grass developed, which
spread across the fabric and rooted into the surface!

Yes I've found that to be the main problem with it. Couch in particular
can be very difficult to get out.

To the OP, what you've selected looks like it ought do the job.

If you read the OP' post he has yet to chose anything

Eh?

"I've come across a
range of this stuff online at 'Weed Stop Fabric | Landscape Weed Control
| Weed Fabric' (http://tinyurl.com/ybqdujj) and it seems to be the good
enough to do the job..."

I'm not really bothered about the details of how precisely I replied,
don't see why you should be either.

In any case have a drink and relax, that's what I plan on.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
In article , BertB.ae203b8
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

I'm a new allotment owner and looking for advice regarding weed control
fabric. I've weeded and dug over a section of the plot and thought to
buy some weed control fabric to stop the weeds coming up and wind
disperesed seeds landing and germinating i the soil. I've come across a
range of this stuff online at 'Weed Stop Fabric | Landscape Weed Control
| Weed Fabric' (http://tinyurl.com/ybqdujj) and it seems to be the good
enough to do the job but I would appreciate any views on it before I
make a purchase. Any comments will be much appreciated.

--
BertB

Usual recommendations for large areas a

1) Old carpet upside down (I would suggest woolen carpet, not sure about
modern man made fibre things)
2) Thick black polythene

'Don't' use carpet! It leeches chemicals into the soil and is banned on some
council owned allotments.
Pete C

Old 03-10-2012, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete C
writes

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
In article , BertB.ae203b8
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

I'm a new allotment owner and looking for advice regarding weed control
fabric. I've weeded and dug over a section of the plot and thought to
buy some weed control fabric to stop the weeds coming up and wind
disperesed seeds landing and germinating i the soil. I've come across a
range of this stuff online at 'Weed Stop Fabric | Landscape Weed Control
| Weed Fabric' (http://tinyurl.com/ybqdujj) and it seems to be the good
enough to do the job but I would appreciate any views on it before I
make a purchase. Any comments will be much appreciated.

Usual recommendations for large areas a

1) Old carpet upside down (I would suggest woolen carpet, not sure about
modern man made fibre things)
2) Thick black polythene

'Don't' use carpet! It leeches chemicals into the soil and is banned on some
council owned allotments.

I don't really like carpet much either.

Left long enbough, it starts to rot and break down and then you pull it
up to find it is falling apart. Heavy and awkward to man handle as well.

We seem to be endlessly battling weeds and use this sort of thing to
cover up bits of the veg patch. You can use polythene sheeting, but this
stuff is easier to handle, seem to be longer lasting in then end (it's
polypropylene AIUI, rather than polythene and seems to be more resistant
to UV degradation. Can also be used for paths and things (not other
comments about stuff rooting through it, it's not perfect.

Are you planning to lift this once you get to planting/sowing or plant
through it?. This type of sheet is not so good for planting through. The
woven nature of the material means that it tends to fray and you end up
with little strips of polypro around the place. The lighter weight,
non-woven type sheets (mulch fabric on that site) are much easier to
plant through, but no where near as strong, tears much more easily and
not so good for lifting moving about etc.

FWIW I found Ebay the cheapest place to source the weed control fabric.
--
Chris French

Old 21-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Banned

Location: Canada

Hi everyone today am going to ask something little related to your topic which is that we know that you make clothes by sewing peices of fabric together..but how is the fabric made? surely people don't do that by hand?and how did they do it before we had machines?

Old 21-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Banned

Location: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson0 View Post
Hi everyone today am going to ask something little related to your topic which is that we know that you make clothes by sewing peices of fabric together..but how is the fabric made? surely people don't do that by hand?and how did they do it before we had machines?
gold coast tile cleaning
Old 21-11-2012, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/11/2012 10:10, Anderson0 wrote:
Hi everyone today am going to ask something little related to your topic
which is that we know that you make clothes by sewing peices of fabric
together..but how is the fabric made? surely people don't do that by
hand?and how did they do it before we had machines?

I fail to see what weed control fabric has to do with making clothes.
before machine made synthetic fabric there was no weed control fabric used.
Prior to mechanical looms to make fabric people used hand looms.

Old 22-11-2012, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Hill
writes
I fail to see what weed control fabric has to do with making clothes.
before machine made synthetic fabric there was no weed control fabric used.
Prior to mechanical looms to make fabric people used hand looms.

Ah but wasn't the inventor Sir Walter Raleigh whose cloak was left on
the ground after old Bess trod on it and thereby clearing that patch
from weeds for sometime?
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 22-11-2012, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/11/2012 13:11, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , David Hill
writes
I fail to see what weed control fabric has to do with making clothes.
before machine made synthetic fabric there was no weed control fabric
used.
Prior to mechanical looms to make fabric people used hand looms.

Ah but wasn't the inventor Sir Walter Raleigh whose cloak was left on
the ground after old Bess trod on it and thereby clearing that patch
from weeds for sometime?

I can't comment as I cant remember back that far.
Old 22-11-2012, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
On 22/11/2012 13:11, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , David Hill
writes
I fail to see what weed control fabric has to do with making clothes.
before machine made synthetic fabric there was no weed control fabric
used.
Prior to mechanical looms to make fabric people used hand looms.

Ah but wasn't the inventor Sir Walter Raleigh whose cloak was left on
the ground after old Bess trod on it and thereby clearing that patch
from weeds for sometime?

I can't comment as I cant remember back that far.

If John Aubrey was right, it was probably laid on the ground for
a much less proper purpose :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.