Old 31-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
"Pete" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message

Sacha
wrote in
:

On 2012-10-30 18:36:23 +0000, "Pete"

said:

DSCF8115 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Pete

Dangerous to ask for a positive ID on the internet, imo.

Looks like one of my Yorkshire puds. DO NOT EAT. Can cause swelling of
waist, hips, buttocks and thighs.

Seriously though, I agree with Sacha. Never trust the internet in
matters like this, especially any Wiki sites.

Baz

Nothing dangerous in asking - though Baz !

Yes, Pete, but respectfuly some people take as a fact things written on the
internet. Not you. People who are not as savvy as you.

Nick - I would agree on that - I have a similar one to that as well,
about 10ft away from the mystery one !
It is about half the size though.

Pete

Baz
One of the more difficult things when trying to identify a mushroom for a beginner is getting an idea of where to start looking in a book to identify it, if we can at least whittle it down to a family it will help them, hopefully, to make a positive ID.

I think it's been said on here before that a picture from the top alone is no good although important as we need to know it's habitat, we also need one showing the underneath, one that shows the shape of the stem right down to the bottom and one of the whole thing cut in half.
Old 31-10-2012, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default oops (:-( - photo now here.

On 30/10/2012 18:36, Pete wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...in/photostream

Pete

No idea what it is but they are coming up all over my lawn this year,
not that I would eat it, I am allergic to normal mushrooms so who knows
what this would do to me.

Barry
Old 31-10-2012, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 18:36:23 -0000, "Pete"
wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...in/photostream

Have a word with your local/county wildlife trust they may have a
mycologist amongst the team who is able to identify it, but they will
undoubtedly not advise whether or not it is safe for you to eat.
--
rbel
Old 31-10-2012, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...in/photostream

Have a word with your local/county wildlife trust they may have a
mycologist amongst the team who is able to identify it, but they will
undoubtedly not advise whether or not it is safe for you to eat.

--
rbel

Many thanks. An i.d. will do just fine for starters.
I am in Cheshire east - my local trust is contactable via ------
?

Thanks
Pete

Old 31-10-2012, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete
writes

wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...in/photostream

Have a word with your local/county wildlife trust they may have a
mycologist amongst the team who is able to identify it, but they will
undoubtedly not advise whether or not it is safe for you to eat.

--
rbel

Many thanks. An i.d. will do just fine for starters.
I am in Cheshire east - my local trust is contactable via ------
?

http://www.cheshirewildlifetrust.org.uk/contact-us

The county wildlife trusts are usually called county Wildlife Trust,
so it's fairly easy to google them.

Thanks
Pete

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 31-10-2012, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Granity" wrote in message

-
I wouldn't even consider eating it. I had a bad experience a while ago
by
eating a mushroom in my garden that I thought I'd identified as safe
from
my book and got well told off on here, rightly so.
I was on the toilet for two days.
My mushrooms now come from the supermarket.
Tina-

Thanks Tina - worry not - its worst fate would have been to be "souped"

then frozen.
Time then to get the wise to judge (:-)
I have read the dire warnings on the internet, you were lucky to escape
with
just the
toilet effect not "the box they carry you off in" result !!

Pete

Don't be put off Tina, mushrooms affect different people in different
ways, I can happily eat 'Yellow Stainers' but they upset the other
half's tum, she thinks 'Honey Fungus' is the best thing since sliced
bread rated only behind the 'Cep' and 'Chanterelle' but they upset me
more than somewhat. My mate's wife cannot tolerate any mushroom at all
even supermarket ones.

Granity

No chance I will ever eat any mushroom that comes up in my garden ever. I
nearly turned inside out with diarrhoea and would never risk that again.
I think I was quite lucky that my body rejected it so vehemently.
It looked so safe from my book but obviously wasn't.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message
news

....and get them to eat it first - the wait a while :-)

Bill

Do you live far away - Bill (:-(

Pete

Old 02-11-2012, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Pete" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...in/photostream

Pete

I wouldn't even consider eating it. I had a bad experience a while ago by
eating a mushroom in my garden that I thought I'd identified as safe from
my book and got well told off on here, rightly so.
I was on the toilet for two days.
My mushrooms now come from the supermarket.

Tina

Thanks everybody, and David for having a go. No, I do not think in is one
of those David - mine
has an unusually pronounced convex bottom. Sorry my piccy did not show
this very well. And worry not folks
peter will not be eating it or any of its offspring until he has got
expert guidance. Just that it the biggest fungi
that has ever appeared on any lawn that I have ever owned that I recall
(:-)

My friend in Germany - in the wilds there - knows exactly what mushrooms are
safe, she collects them in the forest and dries them for winter use. Brits
don't seem to have that knowledge.
She sends me some in my Christmas parcel every year and I haven't died from
them yet.
Unless she decides this year she doesn't like me any more :-)

I never thought Germany could be so *rural* until I visited her.
20 houses. One street light extinguished at 10 pm.
I got scared about the wild boar when I heard them approaching, even though
I thought I'd be fine with it and I wanted to see them. We sat out about
half a mile from the house near a pond with bats flitting over the water.
Idyllic.
Then they came..

Total wimp!
I was up and gone. Yes I know they are more scared of us than we are of them
but Leics Brits are not used to them ;-)

They are a total nuisance in rural Germany, they dig up the crops the people
depend on to live. The farmers build wooden towers in their fields to shoot
them from.
They live hand to mouth there. I've seen it for myself. At least they
get some pork..

Old 03-11-2012, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Granity" wrote in message

-
[...]

I won't chance it again. Ever. I really thought it was safe from my book
and I was turned inside out. Never again will I try a mushroom from my
garden, not in a million years.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

I won't chance it again. Ever. I really thought it was safe from my book
and I was turned inside out. Never again will I try a mushroom from my
garden, not in a million years.

Agreed - after all a book is usually only one persons opinion,
not the most reliable source of life/death info.

Pete

Old 04-11-2012, 02:29 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete[_9_] View Post
I won't chance it again. Ever. I really thought it was safe from my book
and I was turned inside out. Never again will I try a mushroom from my
garden, not in a million years.[/i][/color]

Agreed - after all a book is usually only one persons opinion,
not the most reliable source of life/death info.
I'm not sure I understand that comment. I can understand it in the context of, say, a commentary on historical or political events, but not in the context of a book attempting to convey scientific fact, such as the identifying features of different fungi. "Fly agaric are red with white spots" "well that may be your opinion - I think they are green"
__________________
Old 04-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
I'm not sure I understand that comment. I can understand it in the context of, say, a commentary on historical or political events, but not in the context of a book attempting to convey scientific fact, such as the identifying features of different fungi. "Fly agaric are red with white spots" "well that may be your opinion - I think they are green"
Roger Philips tends to qualify some of his edibility information with comments such as "Edible, but may cause gastric upsets in some people", or a stronger one "Said to be edible but known to cause gastric upsets in some people". which is quite useful as you can put out a second bog roll ready. .
Old 04-11-2012, 08:01 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
Roger Philips tends to qualify some of his edibility information with comments such as "Edible, but may cause gastric upsets in some people", or a stronger one "Said to be edible but known to cause gastric upsets in some people". which is quite useful as you can put out a second bog roll ready. .
One book had a list of about a dozen good edible species that couldn't be confused with a poisonous species. I thought it was Philips, but can't find it again.
__________________
Old 04-11-2012, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

I won't chance it again. Ever. I really thought it was safe from my book
and I was turned inside out. Never again will I try a mushroom from my
garden, not in a million years.

Agreed - after all a book is usually only one persons opinion,
not the most reliable source of life/death info.

Pete

Ain't that just the truth.
My mushroom books are now just for identification interest only. Not
whether they say they are safe to eat. It really is potentially fatal and I
was lucky to get away with being on the toilet for two days and not being in
a coffin.
They look so benign exactly like the good ones..or my one did anyway.
Tina