Old 30-10-2012, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default oops (:-( - photo now here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...in/photostream

Pete
Old 30-10-2012, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
On 2012-10-30 18:36:23 +0000, "Pete" said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...in/photostream

Dangerous to ask for a positive ID on the internet, imo.

Not at all - all that is dangerous is to actually rely on it!

I am pretty sure that I could guess, but I won't. As a general
rule, NEVER eat any fungus that you have not positively identified
as being definitely not one of the lethal ones. So don't eat it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-10-2012, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
On 2012-10-30 18:36:23 +0000, "Pete" said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...in/photostream

Dangerous to ask for a positive ID on the internet, imo.

Not at all - all that is dangerous is to actually rely on it!

I am pretty sure that I could guess, but I won't. As a general
rule, NEVER eat any fungus that you have not positively identified
as being definitely not one of the lethal ones. So don't eat it.

I will take that as a "not to eat" then - lol
An attempt at an (impositive) id would be welcomed, all the same (:-)
Thanks
Pete

Old 30-10-2012, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/10/2012 22:02, Pete wrote:

In article ,
On 2012-10-30 18:36:23 +0000, "Pete"
said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...in/photostream

Dangerous to ask for a positive ID on the internet, imo.

Not at all - all that is dangerous is to actually rely on it!

I am pretty sure that I could guess, but I won't. As a general
rule, NEVER eat any fungus that you have not positively identified
as being definitely not one of the lethal ones. So don't eat it.

I will take that as a "not to eat" then - lol
An attempt at an (impositive) id would be welcomed, all the same (:-)
Thanks
Pete

Looks as if it might be this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevegreaves/5088679337/
Old 30-10-2012, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote in message
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...in/photostream

Pete

I wouldn't even consider eating it. I had a bad experience a while ago by
eating a mushroom in my garden that I thought I'd identified as safe from my
book and got well told off on here, rightly so.
I was on the toilet for two days.
My mushrooms now come from the supermarket.
Tina

Old 31-10-2012, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
On 30/10/2012 22:02, Pete wrote:

I will take that as a "not to eat" then - lol
An attempt at an (impositive) id would be welcomed, all the same (:-)

Looks as if it might be this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevegreaves/5088679337/

I am almost certain that it is NOT that! Sorry.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-10-2012, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Pete" wrote in message
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...in/photostream

Pete

I wouldn't even consider eating it. I had a bad experience a while ago by
eating a mushroom in my garden that I thought I'd identified as safe from
my book and got well told off on here, rightly so.
I was on the toilet for two days.
My mushrooms now come from the supermarket.

Tina

Thanks everybody, and David for having a go. No, I do not think in is one of
those David - mine
has an unusually pronounced convex bottom. Sorry my piccy did not show this
very well. And worry not folks
peter will not be eating it or any of its offspring until he has got expert
guidance. Just that it the biggest fungi
that has ever appeared on any lawn that I have ever owned that I recall (:-)

Old 31-10-2012, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I wouldn't even consider eating it. I had a bad experience a while ago by
eating a mushroom in my garden that I thought I'd identified as safe from
my book and got well told off on here, rightly so.
I was on the toilet for two days.
My mushrooms now come from the supermarket.
Tina

Thanks Tina - worry not - its worst fate would have been to be "souped"
then frozen.
Time then to get the wise to judge (:-)
I have read the dire warnings on the internet, you were lucky to escape with
just the
toilet effect not "the box they carry you off in" result !!

Pete

Old 31-10-2012, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-10-30 18:36:23 +0000, "Pete" said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...in/photostream

Pete

Dangerous to ask for a positive ID on the internet, imo.

Looks like one of my Yorkshire puds. DO NOT EAT. Can cause swelling of
waist, hips, buttocks and thighs.

Seriously though, I agree with Sacha. Never trust the internet in matters
like this, especially any Wiki sites.

Baz

Old 31-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:

I wouldn't even consider eating it. I had a bad experience a while ago by
eating a mushroom in my garden that I thought I'd identified as safe from
my book and got well told off on here, rightly so.
I was on the toilet for two days.
My mushrooms now come from the supermarket.
Tina

Thanks Tina - worry not - its worst fate would have been to be "souped"
then frozen.
Time then to get the wise to judge (:-)
I have read the dire warnings on the internet, you were lucky to escape with
just the
toilet effect not "the box they carry you off in" result !!

Pete
Don't be put off Tina, mushrooms affect different people in different ways, I can happily eat 'Yellow Stainers' but they upset the other half's tum, she thinks 'Honey Fungus' is the best thing since sliced bread rated only behind the 'Cep' and 'Chanterelle' but they upset me more than somewhat. My mate's wife cannot tolerate any mushroom at all even supermarket ones.
Old 31-10-2012, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message ...

On 2012-10-30 18:36:23 +0000, "Pete" said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...in/photostream

Pete

Dangerous to ask for a positive ID on the internet, imo.

Looks like one of my Yorkshire puds. DO NOT EAT. Can cause swelling of
waist, hips, buttocks and thighs.

Seriously though, I agree with Sacha. Never trust the internet in matters
like this, especially any Wiki sites.

Baz

Nothing dangerous in asking - though Baz !
Nick - I would agree on that - I have a similar one to that as well, about
10ft away from the mystery one !
It is about half the size though.

Pete

Old 31-10-2012, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dangerous to ask for a positive ID on the internet, imo.

Looks like one of my Yorkshire puds. DO NOT EAT. Can cause swelling of
waist, hips, buttocks and thighs.

Seriously though, I agree with Sacha. Never trust the internet in matters
like this, especially any Wiki sites.

Baz

Nothing dangerous in asking - though Baz !
Nick - I would agree on that - I have a similar one to that as well, about
10ft away from the mystery one !
It is about half the size though.

Pete

Rekon this is the common one per the illustration already posted by David
above
as mentioned above.

Old 31-10-2012, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Pete wrote:

Nick - I would agree on that - I have a similar one to that as well, about
10ft away from the mystery one !
It is about half the size though.

Rekon this is the common one per the illustration already posted by David
above
as mentioned above.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...in/photostream

I don't think that the original was a Boletus - that's easy
to check, because Boleti have spongy pores, and I suspect that
one has gills. It might be a Lactarius, in which case it would
weep milky sap when broken, but there are other possibilities.
There is a Hebeloma that grows in my garden that looks similar,
but it's not one of the most common ones.

Neither Boletus nor Lactarius are particularly dangerous, because
the key indicator is pretty obvious, and none of the REALLY lethal
fungi belong to either. But some of them are definitely poisonous,
and mere diarrhoea and vomiting can kill people with prexisting
problems.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-10-2012, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
. ..

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2012-10-30 18:36:23 +0000, "Pete"
said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8130344...in/photostream

Pete

Dangerous to ask for a positive ID on the internet, imo.

Looks like one of my Yorkshire puds. DO NOT EAT. Can cause swelling of
waist, hips, buttocks and thighs.

Seriously though, I agree with Sacha. Never trust the internet in
matters like this, especially any Wiki sites.

Baz

Nothing dangerous in asking - though Baz !

Yes, Pete, but respectfuly some people take as a fact things written on the
internet. Not you. People who are not as savvy as you.