Old 03-11-2012, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weather or not

As we draw to the end of what must be the worst year for abnormal
weather I have to ask can 2013 be any worse.
Yes! I know that that The Government, industry, the people with big
money etc. are all plotting to end the world as we know it, or so some
nuts would have us believe.
Still for the rest of us trying to cope with what we have, the annual
task of trying to grow our chosen range of plants we like despite
everything that Mother Nature throws at us keeps on being a never ending
challenge.
The time when we put up our feet with a cup or glass of something
warming and browse the catalogues for the coming year is drawing closer
by the day. We will look at all the pictures and descriptions and wish
we could get results like that, Well just possibly next year we will.
the sun will shine when it should, rain will fall when it's needed and
all will be right with the world.
Next year we will still try to grow our best what ever is chucked at us,
we may moan and groan but that's what we do because we are gardeners.
We may stodge through the mud or haul cans of water but we get plants to
grow and we enjoy them.
So as I sit here listening to the latest hail storm beating against the
window and wondering how I'll ever get my dahlias lifted, I take another
swig from my mug of tea (Yes tea) and hope that the next few weeks will
improve and bring a better end to this year.
Looking around the place yesterday I saw a Bird cherry with flowers,
also Weigela. Senecio Greyii (as was),Honeysuckle, a climbing rose,
fuchsia all in flower, most of my tree dahlias still flowering well with
a lot more to come, despite the lousy weather.
So there is still hope.
So lets just say "To hell with this year" and come on 2013 give it to us.
David @ the wintry end of Swansea bay
Old 03-11-2012, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 16:39:59 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

So as I sit here listening to the latest hail storm beating against the
window and wondering how I'll ever get my dahlias lifted, I take another
swig from my mug of tea (Yes tea) and hope that the next few weeks will
improve and bring a better end to this year.

It seems only yesterday that you were complaining that the ground was
too wet to get your dahlias planted and now you are worrying about
getting them lifted.

I need to lift and tidy and still have plants in pots to plant
(they're going into the greenhouse in the hope they'll survive till
spring) but the ground is so saturated that I dare not tread on it.
It'll take a lot of dry weather for it to drain sufficiently to allow
me to do what I would normally have finished doing by now.

But, like you, I'll be positive about next year. Then the year after
I'll concrete over the lot

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

But, like you, I'll be positive about next year. Then the year after
I'll concrete over the lot

Cheers, Jake

AH!!!!!!!!

Coming round to my way of gardening :-))

""Then the year after I'll concrete over the lot ""

Funny how people come round to my way of thinking when they see how right I
am,

OR,

slink off with their tails between their legs, even those who say they have
me kill filed :-))

(Now watch them come out of the woodwork and attack me ) .... ;-)

Old 03-11-2012, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

I nominate YOU as the weather god for 2013!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
Still for the rest of us trying to cope with what we have, the annual task
of trying to grow our chosen range of plants we like despite everything
that Mother Nature throws at us keeps on being a never ending challenge.
David @ the wintry end of Swansea bay

Well David, in an attempt to vevitalise a small border, I gave up on
waiting for some decent weather and have just planted Rosmary, Choysia, two
hebes and a Heucera oh yes and some Michaelmas Daisies.

I have no idea if I've done the right thing - they look OK now, I wonder if
they will look OK next year?

Ignorance is really bliss here in the Swansea Valley :-)

BTW I've not been able to do anything in the garden this year and Mother
Nature has really had a field day

Bill

Old 03-11-2012, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/11/2012 21:31, Bill Grey wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in message
Still for the rest of us trying to cope with what we have, the annual task
of trying to grow our chosen range of plants we like despite everything
that Mother Nature throws at us keeps on being a never ending challenge.
David @ the wintry end of Swansea bay

Well David, in an attempt to vevitalise a small border, I gave up on
waiting for some decent weather and have just planted Rosmary, Choysia, two
hebes and a Heucera oh yes and some Michaelmas Daisies.

I have no idea if I've done the right thing - they look OK now, I wonder if
they will look OK next year?

Ignorance is really bliss here in the Swansea Valley :-)

BTW I've not been able to do anything in the garden this year and Mother
Nature has really had a field day

Bill

That sounds like my grass (I wont say lawn) I started cutting when it
was dry enough at the start of August then the cutter bar had a bolt
snap after less than 15 mins of cutting, it took 3 weeks for them to get
a new bolt and fix, by then we were back to rain.
still it will be there next year.
David On the estuary side of the mountain.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in
:

BTW I've not been able to do anything in the garden this year and
Mother Nature has really had a field day

Bill

Very little here too.

Baz
Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ken Ken is offline

Res ipsa loquitur.................if you choose to believe the MSM rather than your own eyes, you have no right to comment on anything to do with the weather.

Weather - or not Sacha United Kingdom 6 12-11-2007 07:36 AM
Jalapenos don't get hot if weather is not hot? Ook Gardening 2 27-08-2007 05:12 AM
Not terribly impressed with glyphosate, but not a total waste of time ken cohen United Kingdom 2 29-08-2003 08:02 PM
sweet--not scotch broom--to plant or not to plant? Lil Gardening 2 28-05-2003 06:44 AM