Old 11-11-2012, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Harvestman

I didn't know if anyone else heard "The Living World" this morning on
Radio 4 6.35am.
It was about Harvestman (Harvestman spiders) although arachnids they are
not spiders, a fascinating prog. I had never realised they were different.
This explains a lot about them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiliones
David @ the soggy end of Swansea Bay
Old 12-11-2012, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/11/2012 17:52, David Hill wrote:
I didn't know if anyone else heard "The Living World" this morning on
Radio 4 6.35am.
It was about Harvestman (Harvestman spiders) although arachnids they are
not spiders, a fascinating prog. I had never realised they were different.
This explains a lot about them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiliones
David @ the soggy end of Swansea Bay

Yes, a fascinating programme. The enthusiast didn't come across at all
geek-like, or even "a true British eccentric". He was just interested in
harvestmen (is that the correct plural?), and that came across in what
he had to say.

--

Jeff
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 08:06:05 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

I didn't know if anyone else heard "The Living World" this morning on
Radio 4 6.35am.

Yes, a fascinating programme.

They always were when I used to make 'em around 20 years ago. One of my
favourite programmes to work on. Didn't know it was still on air will
have to see if they have a podcast. Hum, they have a "Best of Natural
History Radio" one but that seems to be populated only with recent
"Saving Species". B-(

Thanks for the heads up, Lionel Kelleway isn't quite as attractive as
Trai Anfield though, sorry Lionel.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nsz7b

--

Jeff
Old 12-11-2012, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote in
:

On 11/11/2012 17:52, David Hill wrote:
I didn't know if anyone else heard "The Living World" this morning on
Radio 4 6.35am.
It was about Harvestman (Harvestman spiders) although arachnids they
are not spiders, a fascinating prog. I had never realised they were
different. This explains a lot about them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiliones
David @ the soggy end of Swansea Bay

Yes, a fascinating programme. The enthusiast didn't come across at
all geek-like, or even "a true British eccentric". He was just
interested in harvestmen (is that the correct plural?), and that came
across in what he had to say.

Your question, is that the correct plural? I don't know.
If you asked for 2 Ploughmans lunches, should you be asking for a Plougmens
lunch? Meaning more than one.That is the sort of thing that trips me up all
the time.

Baz

Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
It was about Harvestman (Harvestman spiders) although arachnids they are
not spiders, a fascinating prog. I had never realised they were different.
This explains a lot about them
Opiliones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They are very common, and we have all seen them on numerous occasions - anything with 8 very long legs and a tiny body is likely to prove to be a harvestman on closer inspection. They are easy to distinguish from true spiders, because their body is a single lump, whereas a true spider has a two-piece body separated by a waist. Another feature of arachnid anatomy that most people fail to get is that all 8 legs of a true spider are attached to the front part of the body - the thorax, the part of the spider immediately behind the head. The abdomen - the rear end of the body, behind the waist - has no legs at all.

The three best known orders of the arachnids are the spiders, the scorpions and the mites-and-ticks (Acari). But there are, always depending upon the latest taxanomic considerations, about 8 further orders. We have just been talking about the harvestmen. Some other orders include solpugids (alias camel spiders), whip scorpions (alias vinegaroons), amblypygids (alias tail-less whip scorpions or whip spiders) and pseudoscorpions. We do have pseudoscorpions in Britain, though they are rare and hard to find; the others are all found only in warmer places.

Arachnids themselves belong to the subphylum (of the arthropods) called Chelicerata, but the only other extant member of that subphylum are the horseshoe crabs.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:36:58 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

They always were when I used to make 'em around 20 years ago. One of
my favourite programmes to work on. Didn't know it was still on air
will have to see if they have a podcast. Hum, they have a "Best of
Natural History Radio" one but that seems to be populated only with
recent "Saving Species". B-(

Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nsz7b

Ta but that's listen again not a podcast. I do most of my "radio
listening" in the car from an MP3 player so need something to download
rather than an online stream.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 13-11-2012, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:36:58 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

They always were when I used to make 'em around 20 years ago. One of
my favourite programmes to work on. Didn't know it was still on air
will have to see if they have a podcast. Hum, they have a "Best of
Natural History Radio" one but that seems to be populated only with
recent "Saving Species". B-(

Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nsz7b

Ta but that's listen again not a podcast. I do most of my "radio
listening" in the car from an MP3 player so need something to download
rather than an online stream.

You could record the stream while you're doing something else on the PC
and save it as an mp3 file.

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
Old 13-11-2012, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 15:42:08 +0000, usenet2012 wrote:

Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nsz7b

Ta but that's listen again not a podcast.

You could record the stream while you're doing something else on the PC
and save it as an mp3 file.

The occasional times I've tried to do that some pesky DRM has got in the
way or the supposed software to grab the stream to a file hasn't worked.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 13-11-2012, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 15:42:08 +0000, usenet2012 wrote:

Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nsz7b

Ta but that's listen again not a podcast.

You could record the stream while you're doing something else on the PC
and save it as an mp3 file.

The occasional times I've tried to do that some pesky DRM has got in the
way or the supposed software to grab the stream to a file hasn't worked.

Oh.

I've never had a problem using NCH WavePad Sound Editor 'Basic Free
Edition' to record from BBC listen again. Probably as it's working at
the analogue level. Quality of such recordings is not particularly
important for me.

Old 15-11-2012, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 18:23:40 +0000, usenet2012 wrote:

Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nsz7b

Ta but that's listen again not a podcast.

You could record the stream while you're doing something else on the
PC and save it as an mp3 file.

The occasional times I've tried to do that some pesky DRM has got in
the way or the supposed software to grab the stream to a file hasn't
worked.

Oh.

Quite. B-)

I've never had a problem using NCH WavePad Sound Editor 'Basic Free
Edition' to record from BBC listen again. Probably as it's working at
the analogue level.

I grabbed Audacity, then had to battle with windows to unhide and enable
the "stereo mix". Then battled with the brain dead "mixer" in windows
that won't allow you to have a source higher than the speaker level. And
of course you get windows boings unless you turn them down or don't use
the machine. It's real time as well... Audacity needs LAME to save to
MP3. I'm getting there but it's slow and painful.

Might have a look at Wavepad Free as that looks to support MP3 natively.

Quality of such recordings is not particularly important for me.

The cascaded lossy algorithms worries me but will I notice in the car?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 24-11-2012, 03:51 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
Jeff Layman lid wrote in
:

[...]

The grammar of "Ploughman's lunch" is "lunch of a ploughman". So if you want two, you ask for "two lunches of a ploughman", ie two Ploughman's lunches (or even, "two ploughman's")

Grammatically, "harvestman spider" is a bit different - it's not "spider of a harvestman", it's "spider of "harvestman" type". So plural is "harvestman spiders". And I would consider that "harvestmen" is incorrect. But it's incorrect in the same way that "microwaves" is not the plural of "microwave oven" - it's incorrect because you are using the descriptor "harvestman" instead of the thing itself. But we do it all the time - eg "a bottle of red, please".