Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-11-2012, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis newbie advice

Hi there

I've never grown clematis before, or any climber really!

I'd like to grow clematis to fill 3 fence panels, 6' high, each panel
about 4' across. I've got a small border of about 6" of soil between the
fence and a patio.

My thoughts (based on looking at some web pages etc ) a

1. Choose a late-flowering clematis like Jackmanii, which will not be too
vigorous - also I can cut it back hard without ill effects if it's ever
necessary to get to the fence for repainting or other maintenance.

2. I'll put eyelet hooks up the fence posts, about 6 to 12" apart, and
thread thin wires between them horizontally.

3. Ideally I'd have a wider border so that I could plant the clematis 12
to 18" away from the fence. That's not possible, so I'll just have to do
what I can in the limited space.

Have I said anything stupid here? When is a good time to plant? How many
plants would I need to cover the horizontal distance involved? One per
panel maybe?

Any other advice?

Thanks

Kate xx