Old 19-11-2012, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis newbie advice

Hi there

I've never grown clematis before, or any climber really!

I'd like to grow clematis to fill 3 fence panels, 6' high, each panel
about 4' across. I've got a small border of about 6" of soil between the
fence and a patio.

My thoughts (based on looking at some web pages etc ) a

1. Choose a late-flowering clematis like Jackmanii, which will not be too
vigorous - also I can cut it back hard without ill effects if it's ever
necessary to get to the fence for repainting or other maintenance.

2. I'll put eyelet hooks up the fence posts, about 6 to 12" apart, and
thread thin wires between them horizontally.

3. Ideally I'd have a wider border so that I could plant the clematis 12
to 18" away from the fence. That's not possible, so I'll just have to do
what I can in the limited space.

Have I said anything stupid here? When is a good time to plant? How many
plants would I need to cover the horizontal distance involved? One per
panel maybe?

Any other advice?

Thanks

Kate xx
Old 20-11-2012, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Kate as you say you would rather have a wider border, which of course would
be better. A 6" border hard under the fence would be 'dry' in the first
instance, but do you have the space for a tub and would you have the time
and facilities of watering it? Thinking in the realms of 'roof gardens'.

Mike

Old 20-11-2012, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/11/2012 17:29, Kate wrote:
[...]

You didn't say which way the fence faces. If it's due north, then not
many climbers will appreciate that. I'm not sure, but I doubt that any
clematis would be successful in such a position.

I doubt that the space next to a fence would be dry - except perhaps
that where the fence met the wall. Also, unless the patio was built on
solid concrete, or has mortar between the paving stones (bricks,
paviors, whatever), then the soil under the patio will be kept on the
damp side from rain draining through and under it. It is generally
believed that clematis like their roots cool and head in the sun, so the
clematis roots should be happy growing under the patio.

Clematis in pots can be planted any time of year. Remember to plant
them deep - at least a couple of inches lower than the soil level to the
compost level in the pot (this is to help the plant survive clematis
wilt). One clematis per panel should be sufficient, depending on the
variety you decide to grow.

--

Jeff
Old 20-11-2012, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

On a fence it wont make a lot of difference which way it faces but do chose
all from the same pruning group, like you I prefer the cut down hard in
winter summer flowering sorts.

My only observation would be don't just have wires horizontally, the plants
will climb better and be less prone to wind damage if you have some wires
vertically as well. I use stock fencing which is galvanized and has about a
6" square, remember to attach what ever you use in suck a way that the plant
can wrap around it, so it needs to be held about 1" off the fence.
--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 20-11-2012, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham:

"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for all the advice.

The fence is East-facing, so hopefully most things would grow OK.

I hadn't thought of having different varieties for the different panels -
I'd have thought that would look a bit jumbled in such a small space??

For something like C flammula where it says the eventual height is 4
metres, which I think is about 10' or more, I guess I would then train it
along the wires every year to stop it going over the fence?

How could I secure vertical wires??

Old 20-11-2012, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham:

"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

I like the jumbled look!

Yes train along if the plant is taller than the fence, (most clematis will
be)

just do a turn around each horizontal wire with a shorter cut piece of the
wire, just some support to prevent the wind blowing it all along like a
curtain. as I said I use net to start with so don't have the problem

Old 21-11-2012, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:05:32 +0000 (UTC), Kate
wrote:

For something like C flammula where it says the eventual height is 4
metres, which I think is about 10' or more, I guess I would then train it
along the wires every year to stop it going over the fence?

In my experience clematis flammula is boring and would be very low on
my list of choices.

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-11-2012, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

For something like C flammula where it says the eventual height is 4
metres, which I think is about 10' or more, I guess I would then train it
along the wires every year to stop it going over the fence?

In my experience clematis flammula is boring and would be very low on
my list of choices.

Pam in Bristol

Like me you are not really hot and dry enough to see it (and smell it) at
its best

Old 21-11-2012, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moo

wrote:

For something like C flammula where it says the eventual height is 4
metres, which I think is about 10' or more, I guess I would then train
it along the wires every year to stop it going over the fence?

In my experience clematis flammula is boring and would be very low on my
list of choices.

That's a shame

The white flowers and strong scented sound really lovely.

What would you recommend instead for late flowering?
Old 22-11-2012, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moo

wrote:

For something like C flammula where it says the eventual height is 4
metres, which I think is about 10' or more, I guess I would then train
it along the wires every year to stop it going over the fence?

In my experience clematis flammula is boring and would be very low on my
list of choices.

That's a shame

The white flowers and strong scented sound really lovely.

What would you recommend instead for late flowering?

It wasn't me that wrote flammula off but Huldine is a good late flowering
white.

Old 22-11-2012, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 12:14:12 -0000, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

For something like C flammula where it says the eventual height is 4
metres, which I think is about 10' or more, I guess I would then train it
along the wires every year to stop it going over the fence?

In my experience clematis flammula is boring and would be very low on
my list of choices.

Pam in Bristol

Like me you are not really hot and dry enough to see it (and smell it) at
its best

Maybe that's it Charlie and Sacha. I did not have it in a sunny spot.

Pam in Bristol
Old 22-11-2012, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
In my experience clematis flammula is boring and would be very low on
my list of choices.

Pam in Bristol

Like me you are not really hot and dry enough to see it (and smell it)
at
its best

Maybe that's it Charlie and Sacha. I did not have it in a sunny spot.

Pam in Bristol

Ah, could be. Ours did get quite a lot of sun and was in a spot where it
was sheltered by the largest greenhouse so the warmth of the sun wasn't
blown away by the wind, I suppose. It stopped people in its tracks often,
wondering where on earth such a powerful scent was coming from!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Shame they are not longer lived, its a pain having to remember to collect
the seeds each year just in case, I get on better with its half sister
Clematis x triternata rubromarginata, similar scent but the flowers have a
red edge and the root system seem more keen on survival!!